Deep freezer organization:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camper226

Assistant Cook
Presently, we have a smaller deep freezer. With four baskets, I have a list of what is in each basket. The other items are on a printed list.

I purchased a (used) freezer yesterday. It's all cleaned up and cooled down. There is one basket present.

How do other organize meats and other items? Do you put things in cardboard or plastic boxes? Perhaps I should purchase some plastic baskets or the like? I want things organized and easy to find.

I recently purchased an upright to augment my chest freezer.

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

I like to use those re-useable grocery bags from places like Trader Joe's in the chest and inexpensive plastic bins from Dollar Tree and Walmart in the upright.
Also I have Dry Erase boards from Dollar Tree and Walmart to keep track of stuff.
Works for me.

I have an upright freezer. I have three baskets, one on each shelf. One each for beef, chicken and pork. These baskets hold smaller portioned items. Larger pieces of beef, pork and chicken go on the shelf next to the baskets.

The bottom of the freezer is reserved for baked goods, breads, and odds and ends.

Cooked foods like pasta and pizza sauces, leftovers, chicken pies, etc. are fit into empty spaces on the shelves.

Ingredients tend to end up on the door: grains, butter, nuts, stock, etc.

One time about 4 years ago, when we defrosted the freezer, we made a list of everything that was in it. The list got posted on the door and that was the end of that. Not everyone in the household was committed to updating the list consistently, so that got trashed.

I have a chest freezer, and no matter what I do to organize it, it always ultimately fails. I usually keep the more frequently used stuff on top and the less frequently used stuff on th bottom. But eventually, I have to go digging for something I know I have, but is buried. I curse every time but never learn my lesson. We do want to get an upright freezer with shelves which would definitely keep things more organized and accessible. I like the dry erase board Idea.

It doesn't matter how I organize it. The first time I go in there looking for something, all organization goes straight to hell.

I use bins in the fridge. Learned that from attempting to make sure things don't come flying out of the RV fridge. It really helps. For some reason, I never thought to apply the same thing to the upright freezer! I'm gonna half to do some measuring and thinking on this!

It doesn't matter how I organize it. The first time I go in there looking for something, all organization goes straight to hell.

larry_stewart: said:
+10...

And if I dont screw things up, then my wife does
its a lose lose situation

In a former life, I used to get paid for this kinda stuff on an organizational level. There are fairly simple programs possible that would make perpetual inventories of fridge, freezer, and pantry easy. Could be built into a new appliance or run from a smartphone. This is market potential I'll suggest to our new member with the folding cutting board idea.

No charge bud. :)

In a former life, I used to get paid for this kinda stuff on an organizational level. There are fairly simple programs possible that would make perpetual inventories of fridge, freezer, and pantry easy. Could be built into a new appliance or run from a smartphone. This is market potential I'll suggest to our new member with the folding cutting board idea.

No charge bud. :)

Nowadays, that could be accompanied by bar code scanning. I guess printing bar codes for home packaged stuff would have to be considered.

I use bins in the fridge.
I use empty Amazon boxes in my cupboards to organize loose stuff like onions, potatoes, different styles of macaroni, and envelopes of gravy mix, potato flakes, dry milk, etc. I never thought of doing it in the freezer. I sure as hell have enough Amazon boxes of every shape and size. Maybe I will try it. Those wire organizing racks they sell in kitchen stores can get quite expensive, but Amazon boxes are free, and easy to redesign with s simple boxcutter!

Last edited:
I use empty Amazon boxes in my cupboards to organize loose stuff like onions, potatoes, different styles of macaroni, and envelopes of gravy mix, potato flakes, dry milk, etc. I never thought of doing it in the freezer. I sure as hell have enough Amazon boxes of every shape and size. Maybe I will try it. Those wire organizing racks they sell in kitchen stores can get quite expensive, but Amazon boxes are free, and easy to redesign with s simple boxcutter!

Not sure how well cardboard will stand up to the moist environment of a freezer.

If you have a self-defrosting freezer, the refrigeration system sucks out the moisture. That is why, if you don't keep the ice cube trays in plastic bags, the ice cubes slowly disappear.

Last edited:
If you have a self-defrosting freezer, the refrigeration system sucks out the moisture. That is why, if you don't keep the ice cube trays in plastic bags, the ice cubes slowly disappear.

You know, you are right! I keep a box of frozen pasta sheets in the freezer and it holds up just fine. It does take me a while to go thru the box too and it has never been an issue.

(How do I rotate the photo to proper direction??)

I fixed it... the issue is mobile phones.. the forum software can't tell which way you held the phone when taking the pic.

The solution is to take your pic, then open it on your device, holding the device upright and then resave the image.

Impressive tidying job btw ;)

I fixed it... the issue is mobile phones.. the forum software can't tell which way you held the phone when taking the pic.

The solution is to take your pic, then open it on your device, holding the device upright and then resave the image.

Impressive tidying job btw ;)

Thanks so much!! Will that work for old photos that are already on my computer?

And, honestly, the freezer wasn't sooooo different before the re-do. The drawers are the toughest to keep well organized, at least for me they are. I did switch the top and bottom shelves around quite a bit. But now, I'm just sure that things will stay in their places, since their spaces are defined!? At least, that's how it has worked in the bathroom closest, and the house and RV fridges too. Fingers and paws crossed!

Now for a picture test (please forgive my hijack of your thread, camper226!) From RV camping, I've learned to "find" space too. Here's an example of some found space on the spice cabinet doors...
IMG_5534 (2).jpg

I don´t think there´s any way to organise and manage your deep freeze unless:
a) you are a wonderfully efficient chef/home cook;
b) you are a control freak;
c) a combination of (a) and (b)!!

I´m none of the above, but I DO make an effort to date anything that goes in, and try very hard to check what´s in there every month or so.

I whole-heartedly endorse dating and labeling everything! Invariably SO will put something into the freezer unlabeled. Later, when I ask her what it is, she doesn't know. Lesson learned? I wish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom