Deviled Eggs - Question! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irica

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone! I'm new around here, but I'm looking for some help and I believe I've come to the right place.

My question is:

I'm making deviled eggs tomorrow, part of a large dinner. I've heard people say in the past to use older eggs to make peeling them a lot easier. I've also heard of using vinegar in the water when you boil them to make it easier. I really want my eggs to be pretty when I put them out, so I'm hoping someone might have the answer.

How old is too old for eggs? Vinegar or no? Salt?

Is there one way to ensure perfect eggs? lol

Thanks for any advice!
Iri

It is true that older eggs peel easier. But you can't go to the store and buy old eggs. You have to plan ahead and buy them a week or so before you need them.

Do this:

Put a rubber band around the egg carton(s) and store them in the fridge laying on the side of the carton. Leave them like that until you are ready to cook. This helps to center the yolk so it won't be up against one side of the shell.

Pierce the blunt end of each egg with a push pin and place them in a pan in a single layer. Fill the pan with your hottest tap water to an inch above the eggs. Cover and bring to a boil. Boil for ten minutes only - no longer.

Drain the water out of the pan and gently shake the pan back and forth with the lid on to crack the shells all over. Fill the pan with cold water and leave them under slow-running cold water until they are completely cooled.

Peel them under slow running cold water and proceed with your recipe.

If you don't want to try piercing the eggs then

just stir them as the water is coming to a boil. After a minute or two of boiling then you can stop stirring. I learned this from a chinese cooking show and it works. Nicely centered yolks every time.

The piercing is not for centering the yolks. Storing the uncooked eggs on their side does that.

Piercing prevents the shell from cracking and letting the white leak out before it sets. It also allows a little water inside the shell and that can help separate the egg from the shell so it will be easier to peel.

Andy, that's the best hint I've heard in a long time!!
"It is true that older eggs peel easier. But you can't go to the store and buy old eggs. You have to plan ahead and buy them a week or so before you need them.

Do this:

Put a rubber band around the egg carton(s) and store them in the fridge laying on the side of the carton. Leave them like that until you are ready to cook. This helps to center the yolk so it won't be up against one side of the shell."

I'll sure do that next time!! What a really great idea!

My formula for perfect hard cooked eggs is this:
Put eggs in a pan with cold water. Bring to the boil, and cover the pan. Turn the flame OFF, and let set for exactly 15 min. Pour off the water, and replace with cold running water as you crack and peel the eggs under the faucet. They will be perfectly cooked and ready to :devilish: DEVIL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom