Dinner, Tuesday May 13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, Uncle Bob, I have a question for you. What do you do to prepare your catfish? It always has such a sandy taste and I'd like to know how to get rid of that. I'm an Iron Ranger and we are used to preparing walleye for dinner. The BF likes catfish and I'm stumped as to how to deal with it. Thanks for any advice you care to toss my way. You are always such a gentleman. I'd have the vodka tonight, BTW. Clean, neat and somewhat healthy.:LOL:

Nicholas, my eldest is 13 today, so we have friends around for a barbeque - got the gas grill out for the first time this year. Steak, chicken & sausages with salads and rolls. Followed by chocolate cake (made by DW last night) with chocolate filling and chocolate ganache and Carte D'or ice cream.

Hey Miss Nancy Jane...Ya must have Southern Blood in your genes...Two names is a "Southern" Thing... of sorts...:ermm:

Hmmm "sandy" catfish...never heard of that one..."muddy" yes...and a few others terms...In short...I don't do anything to it...mostly just season, bread with a cornmeal based concoction, and fry...However..you could soak in buttermilk, or coat with yellow mustard, or with Louisiana (type) hot sauce...sprinkle on a little garlic can be interesting...or any other seasonings...Cajun/Creole...Greek...Italian...really anything that you like...
Hope this helps

Uncle "Billy Bob":LOL:

Thanks, Uncle Billy Bob! Yes, Sir, I do believe I have some Southern exposure. I love Southern cooking. I mean, I study it. That's why I want to learn how to make good catfish. Maybe we don't get such good fresh catfish up here. I'm thinking a good soak in buttermilk would help the flavor. Thanks for your help. You are the cream on the cake, Uncle BB.

Bourbon...Vodka...Bourbon....Vodka...?? On of them.

A bed of rice....
A fried catfish filet on top...
Crawfish etouffee on top of that.....
Peppermint Pattie for dessert....
:sleep: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzz

Why Uncle Bob, for someone who stays away from that sort of thing you are sure enjoying those peppermint patties! Good for you. By the way, I know you didn't ask but I would stick to the bourbon!

Since we had leftover rice, I ll do DH's favorite pork chops..it's easy and tastes yummy ..I cube up four pork chops, put them in a baking dish and pour over a mix of catsup,lemon juice,brown sugar,garlic,Worcestershire a little water and some chutney and bake covered...we love this over the rice..A fruit salad is great with it and that is all we are having..Banana bread is dessert.
kadesma

I have an eggplant that needs to be used this week. I'm inspired by DaveSoMD's veggie stir fry.

I used to make eggplant sandwiches,. I don't remember the cooking times but here it is if you want to experiment .....

Peal the EP and slice about 1/2" thick. Peal and slice a red onion into 1/4" to 1/2" thick slices. Slice a big beef steak tomato into 1/2" slices.

Lay the EP and onion on a foil lined baking tray, brush with EVOO, season with salt and pepper and put under the broiler. Cook until the top is grilled, flip, brush with EVOO, season with salt and pepper and cook the other side.

Put the tomatoes on a foil lined pan and treat the same way but they will cook faser then the EP and onions so put them in when you start the 2nd side of the EP and onions.

Serve on rolls or if you can find it, round sour dough bread. You can butter the rolls / bread and then toast before making the sandwich if you want.

Stack the EP, onion, and tomato on the roll, top with fresh mozerrella or with shreaded Asiago cheese.

It is a blustery day here so I have decided on a hearty beef soup and have added biscuits to my baking list as they will go nice with it. We are having our dessert later with friends and I will leave a slice of chocolate tart for the border.

shrimp scampy, brown rice, steamed aspagus ?sp

new york bread, i baked yesterday or sun. don't remember

peanut butter choco chip cookies, banana muffins or left over pineapple cake for dessert.

feeding my self and abel, the handyman.

babe:chef::chef:

Last edited:
British asparagus grilled with some red bell pepper served over romaine hearts with shaved parmesan cheese. It was tasty.
oh, that sounds so tasty!
(as does Uncle Bob's bourbon)

I've got a 4lb beef roast in the slow cooker - added to it: beef stock, 1 jar of sliced pepperoncinis and their juice, italian seasoning, s&p, & much garlic.

When it's dinnertime, I'll shred the beef and serve over french rolls.

I'm also serving artichokes, and some avocados & tomatoes.

For dessert: cut up strawberries, apricots, white peaches and cherries.
(maybe a bit of fresh whipped cream on top)

I left early this morning to deliver some chairs Buck re-caned, then the rest of my day was occupied by shopping, shopping, shopping. My usual every-two-week vittles/supplies trip. 89 miles and 7 hours later, I'm home. Whew!

We're going to have cheese tortellini with Alfredo sauce and roasted garlic-rosemary N.Y. Times bread I made yesterday. Not sure what else. Neither one of us is very hungry. I'm just flat-out tired.

Tonight.... Pork loin on the grill. First, dry rubbed with sea salt, pepper, Emiril's original seasoning, dried onion, dried garlic,

After searing on both sides I made a great tasting BBQ sauce starting with
this as a base.
Ravenswood BBQ Sauce

It's a little too bitter for my tastes but it has nice heat and smokey flavors. I put that in a blender, added a jar of roasted red peppers, 2 tblsp yellow mustard, 1 Tbls Balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup bourbon, 1 tbls sugar and blended until smooth.

I am heavily basting each side as I turn the loin.

It turned out fantastic!! Moist, with a nice flavor from the rub and the sauce. I cooked it to an internal temp of 165 on the grill. After setting for 15 minutes off the grill the temp was ~170.

It was served with a side of mixed steamed seasoned veggies..

Attachments

• pork.jpg
    pork.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 184
oh, that sounds so tasty!
(as does Uncle Bob's bourbon)

I've got a 4lb beef roast in the slow cooker - added to it: beef stock, 1 jar of sliced pepperoncinis and their juice, italian seasoning, s&p, & much garlic.

When it's dinnertime, I'll shred the beef and serve over french rolls.

I'm also serving artichokes, and some avocados & tomatoes.

For dessert: cut up strawberries, apricots, white peaches and cherries.
(maybe a bit of fresh whipped cream on top)

I will have to try this one.... sounds great!

Bourbon...Vodka...Bourbon....Vodka...?? On of them.

A bed of rice....
A fried catfish filet on top...
Crawfish etouffee on top of that.....
Peppermint Pattie for dessert....
:sleep: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzz

OK, you're living on the southern side of life. It's been a while since I had really good catfish and an really long time for Crawfish. Both great if done right, both terrible if they aren't....Yes, you will need the peppermint after that.... or just use the bourbon:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom