Do you enjoy shopping online?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyItsSara

Sous Chef
I don't mind getting certain items online - for instance today I ordered stuff for the office on Amazon and the prices are competitive and you can't beat the convenience.

I've noticed, tangentially, that retail stores near my office - Dress Barn, Aerosole, Easy Spirit, Modell's... the list can go on and on - have all closed.

As I said, I'd shop for staples online but clothes? During lunch I enjoy popping into a store and see what's new. I'm just not so sure how much fun it is to do this on Amazon or via Google. You can't touch it or feel if it's going to be itchy or see through or poorly made.

What do you all think? Am I just old fashioned?

We have access to Amazon Prime via a relative. I hate shopping but really enjoy the convenience of realizing I need something then just grabbing my laptop and ordering it without leaving the sofa then having it show up on my doorstep a day or two later.

I don't order food items and only a few clothing items. SO loves to shop at the brick and mortar stores and doesn't care if it's for her or for me.

It all depends on what the item is. I also have Amazon Prime, and use that the most. A lot of books Mom wants are not in our local Wal-Mart or book store and I can order them on AP without worrying about shipping for less than the local options.

We live in a very rural area where the nearest big city (about 20,000) is an hour away. The next really significant city is about 2 1/2 hours away.

Having said that, shopping online is one of our best avenues for shopping. And, as others have said, Amazon Prime is a real help.

We're not much for clothes shopping but I've scored some beautiful things at Goodwill. Calvin Klein, etc., some with the original store tags still on them. Nothing like handing over $2.30 for something like that.

Most of our books come from the library but, when I want one to keep, I usually check Thrift Books and can almost always find what I'm looking for there at a fraction of bookstore prices.

Have just now signed up for Misfits Market and should receive our first box tomorrow, so the jury is still out on this site. More later.

I guess the real question is, do you prefer browsing in a brick and mortar store, to looking online for a speific item?

For example, when I'm at Target, I look at the clothes and if I like something, I get it. I would not look online specifically for sweaters, etc.

Enjoy isn't the right word. I appreciate the convenience. But I'm also a little bit ashamed of it.

Very aware that buying from Amazon makes the richest man in the world a little bit richer. I'm also doing business with a company that pays no federal income tax. None the less, I had 34 orders with them in 2019.

If you haven't already watched it, I recommend the documentary linked below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVVfJVj5z8s

I enjoy shopping online so much
because you can shop at anytime
anywhere with a mobile device with a few clicks, lying back on the sofa
enjoying a cup of coffee
and you can get notification
of the new deals and new products.
In addition, shopping online is like waiting for the surprise
of your birthday present, you don't get it immediately but
you'll have to wait.
On top of that, I have credit rewards which means I'll save
further more by shopping online which is offered by the bank of issue.

However, one drawback of buying online is that you usually need
to buy enough before you can get free shipping if you are not
a Prime member (which is something I'll never subscribe to because
it's just, not worthy). You can easily buy something useless in that case.

Last edited:
Enjoy isn't the right word. I appreciate the convenience. But I'm also a little bit ashamed of it.

Very aware that buying from Amazon makes the richest man in the world a little bit richer. I'm also doing business with a company that pays no federal income tax. None the less, I had 34 orders with them in 2019.

If you haven't already watched it, I recommend the documentary linked below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVVfJVj5z8s

Yes, we don't want to make the richest man in the world a little bit richer
but what can we do when he can usually offer ranges of products at
the best prices and from the trusted source? (i.e. shipped from and sold by Amazon)
"Other sellers" usually sell at much higher price for the same products and
you don't even know if they are authentic.

If you haven't already watched it, I recommend the documentary linked below. ...

I wouldn't mind making him richer, if Amazon paid taxes and treated their employees and suppliers decently. I haven't watched the video, but I have read horror stories about how the employees are treated. I don't know how the suppliers are treated.

I buy most of my groceries online. I rather enjoy placing my grocery order at Lufa Farms. I also shop online at a chain supermarket, but that is for the convenience. We aren't getting any younger and having groceries and other stuff delivered is very handy. So much easier to let someone bring them to our front door than schlep them up the stairs from our underground parking.

I used to place occasional phone orders with a local family run grocery store, but they got flooded a few years ago and never opened that location again.

I buy my Rx glasses online. I like not being pressured to buy the most expensive frames. The difference in price is absurd. I have uploaded a photo of my face and I get to preview what various frames would look like on me. Trying to see that at the optometrist's office is a joke. I can't my corrective lenses while I'm trying on the frames. With a photo, I can wear my own glasses to see what I will look like.

I do, partly because there are so many more options and partly for the convenience. I have had a Prime account for many years. It's worth it for us because of the previously mentioned factors and because we also watch TV shows and movies on Prime.

DH is healthy, so he does a lot of our grocery shopping, but I have neuropathy in my feet and I can't shop for very long anymore. A few weeks ago, I looked in Kroger, Walmart and TJ Maxx for a couple of kitchen items and was exhausted. As soon as I got home, I ordered them from Amazon and got them the next day.

I have bought clothes online. It usually works out and returns are easy. I used to like to browse the stores, but I can't do it anymore.

I guess the real question is, do you prefer browsing in a brick and mortar store, to looking online for a speific item?

For example, when I'm at Target, I look at the clothes and if I like something, I get it. I would not look online specifically for sweaters, etc.
I so rarely get out of the house, more now that my Mom died, I rarely even get to a store. Lands' End clothes fit me, so I am a big Lands' End fan and buy stuff on sale. I also like Soft Surroundings, again, because I know how the sizes run. I came to MN to take care of my Mom with a backpack--didn't expect to be in MN for 4+ years. I bought my winter coats at a consignment shop (Columbia). Guilty--I bought Addias flip-flops and Birkenstock sandals on Amazon--but with free shipping. All of my Mom's briefs I bought on line with free shipping - 2-day delivery--Tranquility brand. Anyone having to buy briefs for someone who is incontinent-fantastic brand--no UTIs for 3.5 years. And cheaper per brief than Walmart or Walgreen's brands. Oh, and I bought some kitchen toys on line. Mostly Lodge.

I think it depends on how mobile you can be. I was virtually chained to my parents' house for 3.5 years. Being able to get things on line was great.

For clothing Items I want to say no although my last clothing purchase online with ship to store as the STORE did not have any in the store to even purchase.

For clothing Items I want to say no although my last clothing purchase online with ship to store as the STORE did not have any in the store to even purchase.
If you know the store and the size you wear, e.g., on the lower-half, I consistently wear a Land's End size 4. On the top, a 10. Land's End clothes run true-to-size, so I know when I order, the clothes will fit. I probably wouldn't order clothes from an outlet type place because I wouldn't know if the clothes would fit and I would have the hassle of sending things back. Again, with my feet, I know what size I wear in Addias flip-flops and what size I wear in Birkenstocks. When you're my size, everything looks good on you so you don't have to try it on.It is just a matter of color. As long it is purple, it works for me. I am 5'7", not 4'2" in case you were wondering. I can even get away with girls size 14 or L from Land's End, which means CHEAP! And, please don't call me tiny. I have big bones. I just don't have a lot of excess fat. Lucky me, I got my Mom's legs that just don't quit and, I didn't get the bunions on the feet or the varicose veins--my brothers got those! I did get the wet seaweed on a rock hair. Can't have everything.

Last edited:
What I like about online is being able to get things new or used that just don't exist around where I live, and use PayPal to pay. I can bank online and move money around so all of this is generally painless.

I have a collection of old wearever "Chicken Bucket pressure fryers" and the last one I purchased didn't have the sealing ring. By using Google I found silicone
gasket material the same thickness where I could cut a replacement gasket from similar material as the original. Before the internet I wouldn't have been able to do that. (those parts are no longer available from wearever) So being able to shop online works well for me.

I use an online/traveler's Mastercard that I reload at the bank for $3 a reload. I have had problems with it a couple of times, but never with Amazon or Land's End or HS (Hammacher Schlemmer). I know HS is more expensive, but love the lifetime warranty. A friend bought an alarm clock in the late '70s, it died in 2014? They replaced it. Even though she didn't have a receipt or anything. Gotta love a company that does that. I bought five of the jump starters (one for my godfather's boat, one for my Dad's car, one for my car, one for my ex, one for a friend). I know you can get them for less elsewhere, BUT the ones I gifted have a lifetime warranty. As my ex said, most expensive BRIGHT flashlight he has ever had. BUT he did have to use it three times this winter to jump his truck. My Dad was wishy-washy about it, but when he forgot and left his lights on and his battery was dead at the base in Grand Forks, he was really glad he had it and didn't have to call AAA to jump start the car. I have used mine in a parking lot to help a stranger, my godfather has used his in the boat (although most of the time it is in his car--he has used it to help strangers as well) and my friend liked it so much, he bought one for each of his daughters and has used it. I call it "the Gizmo."

Last edited:
I can buy the shoes I like online, because I have tried them on. Other clothing, aside from underwear, no way. Never know how it's going to fit. I too live in a rural area with no good places to shop, so I enjoy online shopping for things. I do buy canned and paper goods online.

I buy these online. Not often though because they last a long time.
Hiking Boots 2020-02-28 185329.jpg

I envy the people who can buy shoes online. I absolutely have to try shoes on and walk around in them to know if I can wear them.

Back
Top Bottom