Dogs in restaurants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allow Dogs in Restaurants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dogs are not allowed in restaurants or stores in the UK, unless they are seeing-eye dogs.

I have seen dogs in pub gardens, but that is usually left at the discretion of the pub manager or owner. Dogs are often in pubs, but usually where no food is served.

I voted yes to outside because every Sunday is our day to bring Koapaka to Starbucks. We sit outside and he has his own little dish of food while we have our breakfast and coffee. There are a couple of regulars that also bring their dogs and all are well behaved. This is how he is contained when we take him out in the public.

img_284535_0_983fad3dcc3eaf68525f371e05134c8b.jpg

In a more perfect world I would probably say sure.

Were all pooches well behaved and all owners responsible people,would probably sign on to the idea.

When we go out to eat, we want a relaxing time. The food is important, sure , but if we cannot relax, the grub is wasted on us.

If we can be assured that all the puppies will stay quietly by their owners, not be allowed to roam, will not bark or make some problems with another dog, OK.

But if we know a restaurant lets in dogs, as much as we like them, would probable go somewhere else.

(edited because I hit the enter key mistakenly)

:) Thats soo cute!:) :) I love dogs alot, but you Wasabi got me beat! :LOL:
Ive gone as far as put a fan and a radio on the porch for my dogs.One of my three dogs has actually learned how to ring a wireless door chime I put out there at her head level when she wants in the house she pushes it with her nose,she will also ring it for the other two when they want in.

No............thilly, because you like dogs more than some people.:LOL:

Wow I am suprised at the number of No's on this site. I am a dog lover. However the argument that dogs are not welcome where there is food due to allergies etc, has a hint of merit. However guide dogs are allowed in these places, and those are BIG dogs. If we are to say no, dogs then it should be NO dogs in these places including guide dogs. I personally think all dogs should be allowed in public places like stores and restaurants. Many dogs are better groomed then some people out there. Who are we to discriminate.

To many people dogs are like children, and if children can go in stores and restaurants why can't dogs? Many dogs are much more well behaved then children.

In the area where I am from the dog in business idea has picked up. Dogs are wecome in numerous stores and a few restaurants. The city even had a trial year where all dogs that were well behaved were allowed on city buses for free. Also I live on an island and dogs who are well behaved ride the many ferrys that leave this island for free.

liketobake said:
To many people dogs are like children, and if children can go in stores and restaurants why can't dogs? Many dogs are much more well behaved then children.

Because there are far more people who do not want a dog to be dining in the same restaurant as them, than there are people that do. In the hospitality industry, you need to cater to your clientele, not just to what a few people want. While you want to be accomodating to a few people, you cannot do so if it will upset the majority of the guests.

liketobake said:
Many dogs are better groomed then some people out there. Who are we to discriminate.

And many dogs are not. Many dog owners take absolutely horrible care of their dogs and this would open up an entirely new can of worms. Places of business would lose both customers and revenue, and this would be a prelude to lowering the general standard even further that it already is at some places.

Would it then be okay to deny service and entrance to guests based on the appearance and cleanliness of their dogs? That's what it will come down to and in this day and age, you're just asking to be sued by doing that.

Last edited:
I think it depends where you live. Where I am from more then every second house hold has a dog. Also it is a very dog friendly city and even the surrounding cities are very dog friendly. I imagine it is not like this every where. Here however we have so many elderly people and 85% of them have small dogs, businesses and restaurants have recognized this, and have not only allowed dogs in, but also within the last 2-3 years have started to cater to the dogs (even on their menus).

I don't think I'd like to have to face dog hairs in my food - it's bad enough that you occasionally find hair when the food has been prepared or served!

Working dogs and well behaved dogs are OK, but unfortunately the majority of dogs are neither so I voted 'no'.

I would have to say NO, no dogs (except guide dogs) should be allowed in restaraunts, this is coming from a breeder of Great Danes.

They are technically a"working class" dog breed, and are fairly easy to train, but I don't think other patrons in the restaraunt would appreciated an enormous dog slobbering all over the place and laying in the middle of the floor.

Back
Top Bottom