Dry Saute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
My friend says He likes to Saute veggies Dry. No oil, butter, nothing. Slowly in a non-stick skillet.

He claims Mushrooms and Onions done at the same time. For His favorite side dish to meat.

Claims the Flavor is More Intensified.

Have Y'all ever heard of this? I think he's pulling my leg!

Eric. Austin Tx.

You can successfully cook onions and mushrooms like this. All cooking really takes is heat. It's up to you to decide if you like it or not. Actually, I prefer onions and mushrooms cooked with a little fat. It enhances the flavor.

BTW, saute, by definition, calls for fat.

When the vegetables begin to release moisture they sort of stew in their own juice until it evaporates and concentrates the flavors.

I prefer to use a small amount of fat even if it’s only a squirt of cooking spray.

A tablespoon or two of added fat in a recipe that serves 4-6 people doesn’t amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

I haven't used refined oils or butter, in the last 4 years. Mushrooms are so full of water, and when it evaporates the flavor goes back into the mushrooms. If you cook onions slow enough, they will brown. Try a slow cooker, that usually works.
Everyone here is a cook or learning to cook. Try it. See what you think of it. See if you like the flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom