Edema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Truthfully, I have been taking beta blockers for palpitations for 3 years now and had nothing to do withbp. In the last few months, my bp has been way for me. Got up to 149/96, and that was ON the beta's. The sub said "no those numbers are great!!" I'm scared to think of what it would have been off of them. He checked my foot and said, nope, not heart failure {?} and he changed me to the Coreg and I have only had a few days that it went up.
That was....a little over a month, so, it hasn't been long.

Ok, don't say anything about the unpedicured toes!!:angel:

you really do need to see a dr. right away. never was mine that bad, ever. force them to do something for it.

so sorry you are having this problem.

babe:(

the swelling and the bp is what made me go back to the cardio. my dr was out for family emergency and i had to see the one that was there. he knew nothing about me. he noticed that my meds changed from atenolol to verapamil, he said, why was your bp changed, i said, i didn't take it for bp and never had trouble with bp. he looked through my file, poked on my foot and lower leg, wasn't half as bad then on the swelling, and changed to coreg. I have been on them for about a month.
now i'm getting worried, lol. i just thought water retention, didn't think of any underlying reasons. i was suppose to go back 2 weeks ago, but, i had to cancel because it was the same week i started the new job and couldn't take off. i will call and leave a message tomorrow for an appt next friday and have them call me.

I would not wait until next Friday. Your edema is pitting which is a sign of serious trouble. You have pain in your feet. Your meds have been changed by a doctor who is not familiar with your case. GET THEE TO A DOCTOR TOMORROW!!! Even if it is a walk in clinic or ER. This is not a condition to mess around with. While it may not involve your heart it certainly invovles your kidneys. My guess is you have not been urinating much lately. YOU NEED THIS CHECKED ASAP!

I have been going about 5 times a day, more if I drink more. I haven't been too thirsty lately and not drinking a lot to go much anyway.

Stacy, there are lots of illnesses out there that we non-medical people know nothing whatsoever about until one or more of them affect us or someone we know well. If that kind of swelling goes on too long, it can actually cause wounds in the skin of your feet or ankles, and healing will be difficult, because it seems that your circulation is affected. Have you been tested for diabetes?

Please don't wait - you need to see a doctor right away. The ER would be best - a clinic will probably just send you there anyway. As others have said, this is not something to put off. It can be very serious and the longer you put it off, the harder it can be to treat.

Last edited:
149/96 is way, way to high I take three meds to control my BP mine has been high since I was a teenager. That kind of swelling is bad. Good lord girl you been thru enough and all the stress you have been going to is not helping at all that stress may be contributing to the high BP as well.
You need to make some drastic changes in every aspect of yout life and you need to do it ASAP this kind of stuff is killing you. I swear to GOD I think I need to come down there and kick some a**.

I have been going about 5 times a day, more if I drink more. I haven't been too thirsty lately and not drinking a lot to go much anyway.
Stacy,
I went often, but your kidneys do many things and one of the important things is to clean you body of toxins..If they cannot do this they will shut down and you will end up like me..Please honey get help soon.I don't want to scare you but i want you out of danger and safe.
cj

Stacy, I'm sure you don't really need one more person telling you to go to the doctor - but could I just make an observation about what remarkable, caring people populate this board? I've never seen anything like it. Kudos to you all for being so kind and compassionate. And the best part? It is all genuine. We are all so fortunate to be a part of DC. And Stacy? Go to the doctor tomorrow - or you'll have Uncle Bob, Kadesma, Babetoo,GotGarlic, JPMgrew, and a whole bunch of others (including me) to answer to!

Stacy,
I went often, but your kidneys do many things and one of the important things is to clean you body of toxins..If they cannot do this they will shut down and you will end up like me..Please honey get help soon.I don't want to scare you but i want you out of danger and safe.
cj
:( I think what Kades said should scare the crap out of you, you are in such a weakened state due to all the things you have been going thru your body can't heal it's self and yes you need to get rid of the toxins and the toxic people. I can not say it enough times that stress is a killer and you have been thru more then is humanly possible. Honestly I don't know how you can tolerate so much, most people would have had a nervous break down by now. I am dead serious things have got to change right now because now your body is telling you it really can't take much more before you go down with really serious problems that can not be fixed with a simple pill.Every organ in your body is shutting down. Not to mention your mental health has been over taxed for a long, long time to the point you can't even tell how bad it is and don't really want to do much about it. Please get the edema fixed and then fix your mind and get some support to bring you back to a healthy strong independant women it's not too late and get your life to a place where you can be happy. You are still young enough to have a great and happy long life. We are all here and if you want to make a clean break I have some neat web sites where you can get jobs on ranches and resorts and get room and board plus pay to get you on your feet and learn on your own with our support how to get rid of years and years of emotional baggage and become the happy person you deserve to be. Again this has been building up for a long time and now you are paying the price because all you have been thru is now hitting you hard.
Remember ( You are the Master of your own Destiny)

Stacy, I'm sure you don't really need one more person telling you to go to the doctor - but could I just make an observation about what remarkable, caring people populate this board? I've never seen anything like it. Kudos to you all for being so kind and compassionate. And the best part? It is all genuine. We are all so fortunate to be a part of DC. And Stacy? Go to the doctor tomorrow - or you'll have Uncle Bob, Kadesma, Babetoo,GotGarlic, JPMgrew, and a whole bunch of others (including me) to answer to!
:) You are so right Karen I always tell people how genuinely wonderful this place is. It is full of the nicest most caring people on the planet and I must say the admins make sure it stays that way. The advice is always right on because so many of us are not exactly spring chickens:LOL: there is an incredible amount of experience here whether it's cooking or life or pets etc. Such a wealth of knowledge and experience. All of us have been through one thing or another in life good and bad. Are you hearing me Stacy?

the swelling is gone on the right and the left is down dramatically. niece told me to eat some watermelon, natural diuretic, for the time being, just to relieve the discomfort and to help my knee "until i drag uncooperative butt to the doctor"
i know i need to go, i just have a thing about going, spending the money and finding nothing wrong. it has happened too many times to me and dh that it's hard to do it. if it continues, i will go friday. if it gets worse, i will go to er.

get an edema pump .. it goes on your legs and helps circulation ..
most insurance co. pay for it ..

I really don't think this is something you should be waiting on. I know it is hard to have to pay for it, and you worry that it ends up all for nothing, but I don't think this is going to be one of those for nothing times. Plus, a lot of doctors will tell you it is best for them in diagnosing when you come in in the middle of the symptoms as opposed to after they have gone away or settled down.

tg, if you insist on waiting, hang upside down by your ankles.

you'll eventually get a really big forehead.

GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!!!

Who told you to drink all that water? You just might be killing yourself. Better talk to an informed doctor pretty quick, and I mean up to date informed.

the swelling is gone on the right and the left is down dramatically. niece told me to eat some watermelon, natural diuretic, for the time being, just to relieve the discomfort and to help my knee "until i drag uncooperative butt to the doctor"
i know i need to go, i just have a thing about going, spending the money and finding nothing wrong. it has happened too many times to me and dh that it's hard to do it. if it continues, i will go friday. if it gets worse, i will go to er.

if you will go and then follow through on whatever doc. says, i will go and get shots in my knees for arthritis. fair enough?

babe:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry Stacy, but, this is no longer a matter of whether you want to or not, going in the past and it's something or not...this is so NOT normal it's not even funny. If I were closer I would come over there and you would see how angry I am getting...and I would put you in the car and take you myself!!!!! My ankles tend to swell when I stand a lot as I've sprained both of them in the past - but seriously...it's not even close!!!!

Back
Top Bottom