Ex-Red Sox Player Roger Clemens Listed Among Steroid Users.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corey, the team owners and managers are just as much to blame. There's no cquestion they all knew what was going on. Men just don't bulk up like the Million Dollar Man overnight without "help." After the strike, Major League Baseball was in TROUBLE and all those enhanced performances helped to sell the game back to the fans.

Hard to believe so many egos bought the use of the drugs that have already killed some of them and no doubt will severely shorten and/or affect the quality of later life for many others.

I thnk the team owners are as culpable as the players.... maybe more so.

20 Yankees on the list????? Don't tell me Steinbrenner didn't know!

Yeah that part puzzles me.

If the teams and managers are to blame, which they are, then why weren't they trying to stop it themselves?

First and foremost, the players are to blame. They were all grown men who decided, on their own, to take drugs to improve their performance. If they had not made that decision, there would not be a steroid problem in baseball. The players caused this, no one else.

Team and league management and the players union are guilty only of letting it continue for their own reasons, but none of them introduced the drugs or the idea of drugs to the players. There is no doubt they should have acted immediately and decisively to stop it. They failed to do so. As a result, they are responsible for how this situation has developed.

But don't you think at all that management should have been on top of it to make sure that all was well?

Yes, they ARE grown men, and yes, they should have known better. But we'll see what else happens.

...There is no doubt they should have acted immediately and decisively to stop it. They failed to do so. As a result, they are responsible for how this situation has developed.

Corey, I do think management should have acted. That's why I made the above statement.

Sorry. But I think it's come down to the wire now, and we'll see just exactly what will be done and how it will be done.

Enter: The Real World.

Do you really think the Front Offices want to put the kabosh on a guy hitting 50 homers a season? Heck No! That's what draws fans into the ballparks and generates revenue. After all, professional sports are entertainment. You want to nail jimi Hendrix to the cross because he was high when he wrote songs? How many of your kids have CD's from 'using musicians'? You can talk all the PC stuff you like, but that's just what it is...PC. Sure, the ones who got/get caught will be punished. Did they hurt others in doing so?...No. They hurt themselves. And don't give me the "He was my sons idol blah blah..." Little Johnny will get over it in a couple weeks.

..."He was my sons idol blah blah..." Little Johnny will get over it in a couple weeks.

If only...

Sadly not true. Steroid use by professional athletes has generated its use at the college and high school levels. According to one study, about 5% of high school athletes are using steroids. I know of one documented case (there may be more) where a high school kid committed suicide because of the effect of steroids.

PC has nothing to do with it in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom