FIFA WorldCup 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations, Lukas... He is an immensely talented, fine young man, great choice.

Best of luck for team Germany tonight!!:)

Germany won!

Congratulations to the whole team.

I love Portugal and the Portugese, but that team were such 'cheats'. BUT, I applaud Figo, his cross gave Gomes the chance of that goal.

Perhaps by the next world cup, the art of 'diving' will have been forgotten.:cool:

Juchuuu!! We made it!
flaggen26.gif

It's almost like being the winner, there couldn't have been more celebrating... we went to the city afterwards to take part in the party, with all the cars honking and people standing at the streets waving flags!

fans400_Aufmacher.jpg

Sport1.de

Last edited:
Well done Germany. And well done Figo for saving his team's pride. I was sorry to see him not included at the outset. Shameful diving among some of the Portuguese team - you really would have thought that Ronaldo would have learned from all the booiing in the match against France. Can't see him having a happy time back in the UK...

Great to see a team like Germany win. What a good excuse to drink plenty of beer to celebrate! German beer at that, too.

well, I don`t think we need an excuse for drinkung beer ;o)
but it was a wonderful time (did I say that before? :mrgreen: ) and I don't know what to do now without football...
a few minutes ago the german team said thanks to fans in berlin at the Brandenburger Tor, a last big party to celebrate our heroes!

i think that germany played fantastically in the third place match yesterday and it was brilliant to see them beat portugal. well done germany!!!!

*puh* in only a few minutes the last game of this FIFA Worldcup 2006, the so called "final", will start.. and then everything's over.. *sigh*

but first we will hear Shakira...

Well done to Italy, commiserations to France. It'll be interesting to find out what it was that the other player did or said that provoked Zidane into such an unlikely response. Shame to end his career on that note.

So, prosecco and prosciutto to celebrate anyone?

Last edited:
Congratulations, Italy. World Champions, again.

Yes, I'd like to know exactly what the Italian player said to provoke that reaction. At first it looked like Zidane was just laughing off what was said. As he went past the Italian player the Italians obviously said something that provoked that strong reaction. Sad, sad end to a magnificent career.

I Campioni Siamo Noi!!

ABBIAMO VINTO!!!!:punk: (WE WON!!)

What a world cup to remember!! Honestly, I didn't think they could come this far. Well done, my boys!! I am so proud!! We went out in town after the match, and these are the few of the celebrations we captured...

img_288347_0_0f9e97339bccf512e37ab169763eadb1.jpg

img_288347_1_29e529270a9a7436159136d0c85baed7.jpg

img_288347_2_f4fbcbf6825121a5304ec5e48ab01a8b.jpg

They are coming back to Rome this evening, if Cristiano can beat the traffic to come home, we will be at Circo Massimo to welcome them, too!!

The only pity is the way Zizu went out. One of the greatest players ever, a fine class act throughout his entire career, why oh why did he have to do that to close his brilliant career... :( Too sad.

Yes, it was a blot on a long and valued career. A friend has sent me an email saying Zizou has been voted player of the tournament. The decision was made before half-time in the last match.:ohmy:

My Point

Having Zidan fail in his last game, just proves what someone says can affect you! His whole career over one remark! There was nothing physical only something the guy said. I just cannot accept the fact that the Italians won due to this fact. Both being under this kind of pressure would make anyone weak. Can you imagine how Zidan must feel after he did it? I hope the other player sure feels proud of himself. He is the one who won the game. When the guys from France got the medals, some of them took them off right away. Even the coach took his off. I would have done the same thing.

This is only my opinion. I don't think anyone feels good about the way the World Cup ended.

In the Kitchen said:
Having Zidan fail in his last game, just proves what someone says can affect you! His whole career over one remark! There was nothing physical only something the guy said. I just cannot accept the fact that the Italians won due to this fact. Both being under this kind of pressure would make anyone weak. Can you imagine how Zidan must feel after he did it? I hope the other player sure feels proud of himself. He is the one who won the game. When the guys from France got the medals, some of them took them off right away. Even the coach took his off. I would have done the same thing.

This is only my opinion. I don't think anyone feels good about the way the World Cup ended.

Not meaning to be personal and defensive over my squad, and I am also very sad to say this, but Zidane got what he deserved. No matter what, intentionally headbutting someone is not tolerated on the pitch under no circumstances. I also suspect some nasty confrontation had taken place between him and Materazzi, however Zidane has been playing in fiercely competitive professional leagues internationally for many years, including the Serie A Italian top level league, and been through many tournaments and matches just as important and tense as yesterdays match. The games are played by humans and when the emotions are as high as they were yesterday, this sort of things can happen and if there could be anyone who had enough class and grace to handle such situations correctly, it would have been Zidane. Just as well as his excellent skill for the sport, that is another thing we came to expect from him, and that is also the factor that he is so admired and adored from around the world. He should have known better than to tarnish his excellent career right at the very end.

Suspect

You made me rethink my opinion. A person don't suspect that he may have been offered a prize (money) if he caused France to lose? I don't trust people involved in sports today. Steroids, cheating, do you think Zidan could have figured why not? it's over with for him. As you pointed out, he has been involved in so many other kinds of challenges before. You know more about him than I do and I just had this impression when you mentioned his background. I thought he had higher quality than average player. Well, he won't get penalized for anything he does now. It is over with for him. In more way than one. Just seemed so out of character for him to react to what the guy said. Unless he said something about his mother. something personal.

Last edited:
There are all kinds of rumours, some of which can be found on the BBC web site. The following link takes you to a BBC reporter's blog. After it come some comments posted by readers. Comment number 25 (they are numbered) gives what is alleged to be the conversation between Zidane and the Italian player. I have no idea if it's the truth or not but this is not the only place I've seen this posted. One other remark I've seen, which has been taken seriously by the BBC's Newsnight programme, is that the Italian player suggested that Zidane's father had collaborated with the French during the war with Algeria. All rumours and Zidane has been known for aggressive behaviour in other matches. One thing that I think is most unlikely is that he would have been paid to throw the match.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldcup/2006/07/french_stunned_by_zidane.html

Snoop Puss

Why can't I reach the site you had indicated? They say wrong address. Then you think something was said about his family? That would be understandable. Anything else wouldn't have been worth it to do what he did. The coach himself raised both his hands as if he agreed w/Zidane what he did. I wouldn't blame him for reacting that way if he did say something about the parents. Anyone should defend their parents if someone makes derogatory comment. Wouldn't you do the same thing, Cup or no cup?

Snoop puss
The papers here are intimating that the Italian made racist comments to Zidane, who is known to have a short fuse when insulted. The Italian player started by pinching Zizous skin whilst trying to block hiim.... I HATE all this cheating - whoever does the cheating. And Zizou's behaviour left the ref with no option but to show him the red card. However, as Zizou is not saying anything (so far) it is difficult to know the truth - and I suspect the Italian player won't be saying, either :ermm:

However, I am still very sorry to see such a wonderful player bring his career to such an ignominious end.

As children we were taught - cheats seldom prosper. That doesn't hold good in football, that's for sure. Look at some of the cynical fouls during this world cup.

It's a pity that it ended like this - and I sincerely wish Italy congratulations, but it wasn't a nice way to end the tournament. :(

I don't watch this sport, but, I know the harshness of bad calls. There could have been a different ending to the NBA playoffs had some calls been made. But, that's life and there isn't anything you can do about. It's really sad and fustrating!! Congratulations to Italy and better luck for all, next year.

Agree

Ishbel said:
Snoop puss
The papers here are intimating that the Italian made racist comments to Zidane, who is known to have a short fuse when insulted. The Italian player started by pinching Zizous skin whilst trying to block hiim.... I HATE all this cheating - whoever does the cheating. And Zizou's behaviour left the ref with no option but to show him the red card. However, as Zizou is not saying anything (so far) it is difficult to know the truth - and I suspect the Italian player won't be saying, either :ermm:

However, I am still very sorry to see such a wonderful player bring his career to such an ignominious end.

As children we were taught - cheats seldom prosper. That doesn't hold good in football, that's for sure. Look at some of the cynical fouls during this world cup.

It's a pity that it ended like this - and I sincerely wish Italy congratulations, but it wasn't a nice way to end the tournament. :(

My feelings exactly. Sure doesn't feel good! Maybe they will have cards for someone using personal comments. This really should not have happened. If comment was towards his family that is not the place to bring it up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom