Fine New Sandwich Creations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Just read about AllenMI's new sandwich. It sounds very good. There were also some very good comments made about it. Soooooo... As the originator of the "Breath Killer" and "Unique and Great Sandwiches" threads, I open another sandwich thread, "Fine New Sandwich Creations". First, we need a list of ingredients to choose from. We will need to compile breads, meats, cheeses, veggies, spreads, jelly and jams, butters, etc. When we come up with a comprehensive list of sandwiches ingredients, we will then proceed to create, and if possible, make, eat, and critique each creation. Now remember, this is not a challenge to make gross and disgusting combinations for others to try, and the maker get a laugh. This is an opportunity to get our creative juices flowing. The sandwiches have to be something you have never made, eaten, or seen anywhere else, and must be something that would appeal to most of us. And if the desire to make a great sandwich isn't enough, think of the coming holliday season. On Christmas Day, we spread the table with various breads, delli meats, cheeses, veggies, and condiments, along with crackers and pickles. Each person gets to make whatever kind of sandwich they want, whenever they want. Ingredients that require refrigeration are in the fridge, available to whoever needs them, as are soft-drinks, water, and milk. This makes for plenty of food, and no cooking for the hosts. WE all get to spend time together, enjoying a very special birthday celbration, and each other, instead of using up the day cooking some fancy meal. And everyone loves it. There is a time for fancy meal preperation, and there is a time to let everyone get their own food. And when it's time to let everyone share the burden of food preperation, sandwiches are a great way to do it. I'll start with some condiments, and if you think of more, please add to the list. Copy and paste from mine to yours with the additions: Pesto EVOO Mayonaise Miracle Whip (salad dressing) Dijon Mustard Truffle Oil Ketchup Yellow Prepared Mustard Honey-Mustard Anchovie Paste Ranch Dressing Sweet Pickle Relish Tartar Sauce Horseradish Cheese-Spread Butter Nut-Butters (peanut, cashew, almond, etc.) Nutella Ok, your turn. What meats, cheeses, fruits, etc. will complete our ingredient list? And, someone with a bit more knowledge of how to build this thing than I, can you compile the lists into something we can choose from to create the sandwiches? If this is too difficult a task, then we will just have to copy and paste the lists onto our own computers, and then create our sandwiches from them. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Ok, Goodweed, here's your list. I took the liberty of compiling it as a list. Hopefully I separated everything where it needs to be:

Pesto EVOO
Mayonaise Miracle Whip (salad dressing)
Dijon Mustard
Truffle Oil
Ketchup
Yellow Prepared Mustard
Honey-Mustard
Anchovie Paste
Ranch Dressing
Sweet Pickle Relish
Tartar Sauce
Horseradish
Cheese-Spread
Butter
Nut-Butters (peanut, cashew, almond, etc.)
Nutella

To this, I would add:
Creole Mustard
Whole-grain Mustard
Mustard Horseradish sauce
Chipotle Mayo (I have this at work, but it's easily made at home if you can get some canned Chipotles in Adobo, just puree the contents of the can, and mix a little bit into some mayo)
Ceasar Dressing

For cheeses:
sliced:
Cheddar
Swiss
American
Pepperjack
Muenster
Provolone

Leaf Lettuce
Chopped Romaine
sliced ripe tomatoes
sliced onions, either yellow or red
bread-n-butter pickles
dill pickles chips
dill spears

For the meats, well, this can get VERY extensive:
sliced roast turkey breast
Honey-smoked sliced turkey breast
sliced roast beef
sliced corned beef
sliced ham
sliced salami
sliced capacola
sliced mortadella
sliced bolonga
sliced roast pork
thin-cut steaks
chicken breasts, marinated or plain
jerk-marinated chicken breasts
smoked, pulled pork
smoked, pulled brisket
smoked, pulled chicken
Bratwurst
Kielbasa
Fish????

For breads, again, we can get VERY creative:
White
Whole Wheat
Honey Wheat
Sourdough
Light Rye
Dark Rye
Marbled Rye (swirled light and dark together, very tasty!)
Dilled Sourdough
Focaccia
herb Focaccia
Ciabatta
various flavors of tortillas, as large as possible
Buns
kaiser rolls
bagettes

Now, I'll admit that I'm not really a cold-cuts fan. I prefer my sandwiches cooked, and hot. Some of the sandwiches that I like to make involve a Foreman Grill, which only takes 5 minutes to heat up, and can usually warm the bread or bun.

my two cents...

-for condiments, or something to spread on bread

creamy fresh spreadable cheese, like robiola or stracchino
or something like boursin, either natural or herbed or
quark or topfen, natural or herbed
(all these also could be included in the cheese section??)

also bavarian sweet mustard (very good with pork or sausagy filling)

-for cheeses
brie/camambert
fontina
havarti
samsoi
smoked gouda
maasdamer
edam
shaved pecorino romano

-for vegs
avocados
sliced and sautèed mushrooms
roasted bell peppers

-meat/seafood
speck
bresaola
smoked salmon
kipper
prawns
flaked crabmeat

-for bread
flat Turkish bread
pita
large croissant

To meats, I'm going to add the following humble varieties: Deviled Ham Honey Loaf Brawnshwieger (leverwourst) Olive loaf Dutch Loaf Home-made pate' Liver Head Cheese Summer Sausage Pork Breakfast Sausage Cold-Sliced Meatloaf Meatballs So, here's our list so far: Meats: speck bresaola smoked salmon kipper prawns flaked crabmeat sliced roast turkey breast Honey-smoked sliced turkey breast sliced roast beef sliced corned beef sliced ham sliced salami sliced capacola sliced mortadella sliced bolonga sliced roast pork thin-cut steaks chicken breasts, marinated or plain jerk-marinated chicken breasts smoked, pulled pork smoked, pulled brisket smoked, pulled chicken Bratwurst Kielbasa Fish???? Cheese: brie/camambert fontina havarti samsoi smoked gouda maasdamer edam shaved pecorino romano Cheddar Swiss American Pepperjack Muenster Provolone Vegetables: Sliced, Grilled Portabella avocados sliced and sautèed mushrooms roasted bell peppers Leaf Lettuce Chopped Romaine sliced ripe tomatoes sliced onions, either yellow or red bread-n-butter pickles dill pickles chips dill spears . bread flat Turkish bread pita large croissant White Whole Wheat Honey Wheat Sourdough Light Rye Dark Rye Marbled Rye (swirled light and dark together, very tasty!) Dilled Sourdough Focaccia herb Focaccia Ciabatta various flavors of tortillas, as large as possible Buns kaiser rolls bagettes . First Sandwich, never before eaten or seen by me: Bread - Dilled Sourdough, toasted Meat - Hot Corned Beef with 2 thins slices capiacola Cheese - Aged Swiss Condiments - Wasabi mixed with EVOO, mustard powder, and horseradish Veggies - Thin slices cucumber, iceburgh lettuce, red-onion, sliced Black Olives, and tomato. Serve with tomato juice and a splash of Tabasco Pepper Sauce . Oh, and could someone keep a list of the sandwiches? We could then put them in our own files somewhere on our PC's. Seeeeeeya: Goodweed of the North

I tried seperating the last post into lists and paragraghs on my computer. You all see how it came out, in one big block. I really don't know why it's doing this. If anyone can help me restore my submision functionality, I'd greatly appreciate it. Sincerely; Goodweed of the North

Ask any of the admin... I think they are the only ones who can fiddle with other peoples posts... yes it will be much better if it can be organised into proper list... good luck!

Well, here's my two bits, for what its worth.

We could categorize the types of sandwiches into "folders", such beef, pork, chicken, sausage, or vegetarian...cold or hot.

We could separate the sandwich into these 3 components:
Wrappings: what kind of "package" do you want for your sandwich?
Fillings: What's inside, meat, cheese and/or other
Condiments: sauces, pickles, relishes, etc. Also includes something served on the side, like pepperoncini with Italian beef. For example:

Sandwiches:
Kielbassa:
hot:
Wrapping: Hoagie bun, toasted
Filling: grilled Kielbassa, sauerkraut, shredded mozerella cheese
Condiments: spicy whole grain mustard

BLT:
cold:
Wrapping: Wonder Bread, toasted or not
Filling: Crisp fried bacon, sliced tomato fresh from the garden,
crunchy lettuce
Condiments: Miracle Whip or Mayo

I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind, but in order for this to work, it needs to be organized enough to be usable.

You could also do the above, but under BLT sandwiches, you could do this:

Cold Sandwiches:
BLT:
Wraps: Wonder, whole wheat, sourdough bread, toasted or not.

Fillings: Crisp fried bacon, sliced tomato, lettuce, plus any of the
following: American cheese, sliced turkey or chicken, sliced ham.

Condiments: Mayonaisse, Miracle Whip, mustard

This is a test.This is only a test.Sorry about taking up the space. Using Internet Explorer instead of FireFox to see if the spacing or silies, or bold works.I don't think it does.Every line should be double-spaced.Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Constance;
I think your idea is brilliant. On a spreadsheet, this would be very easy. but I'm not sure how to do this here. But I'm willing to try. So here are some folder ideas:

Variations on Classics
Exploratory
Adventurous
Exciting
For the Sweet-Tooth
Meat Sandwiches
Spread Sandwiches
Made with Leftovers
Sandwiches for Soups
Sandwich Meals
Hot Sandwiches (Includes Hot-Filled, Grilled, Broiled, Toasted)
Ethnic Sandwiches

Sub-Folders include:
beef,
pork,
chicken,
sausage,
Fruit Jams, Jellies, Preserves
Nut Butters
vegetarian

As an example, I'll use the sandwich I put together from above.

Sandwich - R. F. Classic
Wrapping - Dilled Sourdough, toasted
Filling - Hot Corned Beef with 2 thin slices capiacola, Aged Swiss Cheese
Veggies - Thin slices cucumber, iceburgh lettuce, red-onion, sliced Black Oliives and Tomato.
Condiments - Wasabi mixed with EVOO, Mustard Powder, and Horseradish.
Serve with tomato juice and a splash of Tabasco Pepper Sauce

How's that. Now, it's your turn. I've taken the liberty to gather the lists and put them into a collumn for easier reading.

Meats:
Deviled Ham
Honey Loaf
Brawnshwieger (liverwourst)
Olive loaf Dutch Loaf
Home-made pate'
Liver
Head Cheese
Potted Meat
Pickled Sausage
Pepperoni
Pastrami
Deli Chicken, Ham, Beef, Pork
Summer Sausage
Pork Breakfast Sausage
Sloppy Joe Filling
Hamburger Patty
Fish Patty
Fish Fillet
Ground Seafood Patties/Cakes
Cold-Sliced Meatloaf
Meatballs
Speck Bresaola
Smoked Salmon
Kipper Prawns
Flaked Crabmeat
Sliced Roast Turkey Breast
Honey-Smoked Sliced Turkey Breast
Sliced Roast Beef
Sliced Corned Beef
Sliced Ham
Sliced Salami
Sliced Capacola
Sliced Mortadella
Sliced Bolonga
Sliced Roast or Grilled Pork
Thin-cut Steaks
Thick-cut Steaks
Pork/Lamb Cutlets/Chops/Steaks
Sliced Beef Tongue
Chicken Breasts
Marinated or Plain Jerk-Marinated Chicken Breasts
Smoked, Pulled Pork
Smoked, Pulled Brisket
Smoked, Pulled Chicken
Bratwurst
Kielbasa

Cheese:
Brie/Camambert
Fontina
Havarti
Samsoi
Smoked Gouda
Maasdamer
Edam
Shaved Pecorino Romano
shaved Parmesano
Cheddar (mild, medium, aged, super aged (more than three years)
Swiss
American
Pepperjack
Muenster
Provolone

Vegetables:
Sliced, Grilled Portabella
Avocados
Sliced and Sautèed Mushrooms
Roasted Bell Peppers
Leaf Lettuce
Chopped Romaine
Sliced Ripe Ttomatoes
Sliced Onions, either yellow or red
Bread-N-Butter Pickles
Dill Pickles
Chips
Dill Spears
Sliced-Fried Potatoes
Onions, Sliced, Raw/Cooked

Bread:
Flat Turkish Bread
Pita
Large Croissant
White
Whole Wheat
Honey Wheat
Sourdough
Light Rye
Dark Rye (with caraway seeds)
Marbled Rye (swirled light and dark together, very tasty!)
Dilled Sourdough
Focaccia herb
Focaccia Ciabatta
Tortillas (Hard Corn, Fresh Corn, Plain Flour, Flavored Flour, large
Buns (kaiser rolls, bagettes, Torpedo, Dinner)

Miscellaneous
Eggs (hard/soft boiled, poached, fried (broken/noon-broken yolk), crumbled)
Bacon Bits
Meat Gravies
Fruit Spreads
Nut Butters
Nutella
Marshmallow Creme
Fruits (sliced Banana, Peaches, Appricot, Apple, etc.)
Herbs/Spices

Condiments
Ketchup
Mayonaise
Salad Dressing or Sandwich Spread (Miracle Whip)
Thousand Island Dressing
Ranch Dressing
Yellow Mustard
Wine Mustard
Dijon Mustard
Horseradish
Steak Sauce
Cocktail Sauce
Wasabi
Hoison Sauce
Tartar Sauce
Holandaise Sauce
Taco Sauce
Salsa
Enchilada Sauce
Cheese Sauce

This list could go on forever. I think we have eonough ingredients to create some pretty original sandwiches. Have fun with this.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Weed, your list is quite inclusive, but I'm afraid you have too many categories.

Category: meat sandwich, beef tongue, mayonnaise, white bread

I had a good friend when I was a little girl, who didn't have a whole lot, and the town said her mother was a "floozey". All I knew was that their house was full of love, and her mom was a great cook.
One day when I went home with my friend after school, her mom pulled this big piece of meat out of a pot (could have been a pressure cooker) and sliced it up for us. I'm sure it had garlic, salt and pepper in it...maybe other stuff. She was Italian, I think.
I don't even know if you can even buy a beef tongue any more, but that was one of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten.

I was only 14 then. I think, now, I'd have to have to add a little horseradish to the mayo, and maybe use some good brown bread.

Is this a more reasonable group of categories?
Hot
Cold
Wraps (Corn Tortilla, Flour Tortilla)
Bread
Flat-Bread
Breadless
And then that long list of avialble ingredeants.

This has to be a manageable project. We could even see if we could create a DiscussCooking Sandwich Cookbook and maybe try to get it published, or at least put it in a form that we could all download and have for our own homes. That would be an interesting project. And I'd be willing to take it on, including putting the name of the recipe author with each recipe.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I think we're getting there, Weed.

By the way, I don't mean to be critical, but I got put into an honors creative writing class in college, and the professor was a really nasty person. I was the only woman in there (he hated women), and he really gave me a bad time.

One of the things he was always doing was taking a magic marker to my papers, and marking out everything he thought was unnecessary. He hurt my feelings all the time, and sometimes I wanted to punch him in the nose, but in retrospect, I realize that I reallly learned a lot from him.

Constance said:
I think we're getting there, Weed.

By the way, I don't mean to be critical, but I got put into an honors creative writing class in college, and the professor was a really nasty person. I was the only woman in there (he hated women), and he really gave me a bad time.

One of the things he was always doing was taking a magic marker to my papers, and marking out everything he thought was unnecessary. He hurt my feelings all the time, and sometimes I wanted to punch him in the nose, but in retrospect, I realize that I reallly learned a lot from him.

I know what you mean. I took two classes in Technical Report Writing while taking working toward a B.S. in Electrical Engineering Technology. I aced both classes. But that was way back in 1990/91. I've probably forgotten much as I haven't had to write professionaly in my current job.

I remember one paragraph in a particular term paper that was highlighted by the good doctor. She marked in red ink beside it "This is possibly the finest paragragh I have read in a term paper, and it has absolutely no buisness in this report." After reading her remarks, I re-read the paper and had to agree.

I have always been a bit verbose, and had to work very hard to scale things back. I have two novels written, The fantasy novel counting in at over 700 pages in length, and a science fiction work that sports a meager 450-plus pages. And then there are the cookbooks...

I proofread each of them at least 5 times, and made them smaller with each revision. I hope they are now concise enough. So I get your point, really. It's Ok. I know that I'm long winded, both verbally, and in the written language. So any help is appreciated.

Oh, and you day that you were in an honors creative writing class? I need to talk to you in private about a possible collaberation, if you're game. If so, please PM me. Thanks.

Ok, this time, I'm going to list a sandwich idea that I had a few days ago at work.

Ciabatta bread, buttered and toasted on a griddle. Spread with a pesto-flavored mayo. Take a small (5 oz) chicken breast, wrapped with proscuitto, and sauteed until the chicken is done. Place a piece of provolone cheese on the chicken, on the bread. Add lettuce and tomato if desired.

That sounds delicious, Allen. I looked at some proscuitto when I was shopping for Thanksgiving...it was almost $5 for a little bitty package. Is it really that much better than thin sliced ham?

This is not a new idea, but I finally tried a turkey and dressing sandwich, and man, was it ever good! I put it on hoagie bun with Miracle Whip and a little mustard and ate it cold.

Official Goodweed Recipe
Title: Turkey & Dressing Sandwich
Bread - 2 Slices Whole Wheat, untoasted
Fillings - Leftover Turkey white meat sliced 1/8 inch thick to cover bread
Sage flavored bread dressing or stuffing
Condiments - Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
Seasoning - Salt

Building Technique - Spread salad dressing over both slices of bread. Place turkey slices onto one slice of bread to completely cover. Lightly salt the turkey meat. Place spoonfulls of dressing on top of the turkey slices until they too are coverd. Put second piece of bread, dressing side in, on top of the filling.

This is my all-time favorite way to eat left-over thanksgiving turkey and dressing. I have been making this sandwich for thirty years or more, literally. I look forward to it almost as much as Thanksgiving dinner itself.:mrgreen:

This sandwich is also good when heated in the microwave. You can even ladle some gravy over it if you want. But me, I like it best cold.

Constance said:
That sounds delicious, Allen. I looked at some proscuitto when I was shopping for Thanksgiving...it was almost $5 for a little bitty package. Is it really that much better than thin sliced ham?

OMG! Yes, it is much better!

I'm sorry, I didn't post mine in the proper form. Actually, I prefer wheat bread too, Weed, but we didn't have any bread thawed except the (not quite moldy yet) hoagies.

Title: C's Fave Turkey & Dressing Sandwich
Filling: mixed dark & white turkey meat, oyster/sausage stuffing (or any good bread stuffing.
Wrap: wheat bread or bun
Condiments: Miracle Whip and mustard

Last edited:
Constance said:
I'm sorry, I didn't post mine in the proper form. Actually, I prefer wheat bread too, Weed, but we didn't have any bread thawed except the (not quite moldy yet) hoagies.

Title: C's Fave Turkey & Dressing Sandwich
Filling: mixed dark & white turkey meat, oyster/sausage stuffing (or any good bread stuffing.
Wrap: wheat bread or bun
Condiments: Miracle Whip and mustard

:mrgreen:

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

AllenMI said:
Ok, this time, I'm going to list a sandwich idea that I had a few days ago at work.

Ciabatta bread, buttered and toasted on a griddle. Spread with a pesto-flavored mayo. Take a small (5 oz) chicken breast, wrapped with proscuitto, and sauteed until the chicken is done. Place a piece of provolone cheese on the chicken, on the bread. Add lettuce and tomato if desired.

whoa, that really sounds like a serious gourmet sandwich!! However I would suggest wrapping prosciuto AFTER chicken is sauteed, and wrap it together with provolone. Prosciuto tends to lose that special flavour when you cook it...

Back
Top Bottom