Found an outstanding way to cook ham!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Don't know where I found this but probably somewhere on the 'net. Cooked a bone-in ham a few days ago and it was amazing.

I put the ham into a large paper bag and tucked the bag securely around the ham, then placed it onto a baking rack in a roasting pan.

Set the oven to 325F degrees and baked the ham for 18 minutes per pound. It was a 7-pound ham, and when it was done, it was juicy and could darned near be cut by a spoon.

Gonna do this again!!

I remember that from way back - so far back, that it was my Aunt, or someone else that did it at family outings. I was young, and wasn't really looking at cooking things, at those outings - just getting into trouble somewhere! But it was delicious - the ham is what I always liked the most!

When I was growing up we used brown paper bags for a variety of things in the kitchen.

I’m not sure it was a good idea then and I would be even more concerned today.

I wonder if similar results could be obtained by wrapping the ham in parchment paper. 🤔

1715588218199.jpeg

I have seen it done with a fresh ham. I have zero issue with grocery store paper bags. I use them for draining fried foods to save on paper towels.
Trouble is, they are not as absorbent as they were in the past. Must be coated to strengthen them?
I crumble them up and that seems to improve their absorption.

Was it a “fresh” ham (more of a bone-in pork roast) or a bone-in smoked ham?

I think I head somewhere that butcher paper would work. Probably a lot cheaper than parchment.

CD

I totally get why you enjoyed making this recipe. The ham on the bone cooking method you described sounds pretty straightforward, so I'll definitely give it a try.

Same principle as those big plastic bags they used to sell for cooking turkeys years ago.

My family still uses those bags. However, I now pull that stupid plastic red thing out of the bird, and use a real probe thermometer.

The bag itself is not a bad thing., if you use it right.

CD

Back
Top Bottom