Free offer from The Spice House - plus free shipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy from the restaurant supply store. The containers run about 16oz on average and the prices range from $9-$13 for any spice. I just got a 15 oz container of cumin, iirc it ran just under $12. Done paying $4-6 for those little tiny containers of spice.

Way too much for most things for me. Spices degrade faster than you think.

I generally buy herbs and spices in bags, rather than in jars. I have loads of small jars that I have already removed the labels from, so I just use one and label with whatever I fill it with. Those small jars add an awful lot to the price of herbs and spices. Generally, even if I were to buy more than I will use up while it is still potent, it is enough cheaper than with the little jar that it is worth buying and just get rid of the balance when it goes stale.

I buy from the restaurant supply store. The containers run about 16oz on average and the prices range from $9-$13 for any spice. I just got a 15 oz container of cumin, iirc it ran just under $12. Done paying $4-6 for those little tiny containers of spice.

I'm all for saving money but, cooking for one, the only spices I use fast enough to buy by the pound are whole peppercorns and whole cumin seeds.

I'm all for saving money but, cooking for one, the only spices I use fast enough to buy by the pound are whole peppercorns and whole cumin seeds.

Whole spices like stay fresh a lot longer than ground spices. I have a nutmeg that I have been grating bits off of for a few years. It's still strongly flavoured when I grate some off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom