Glaze for Spiral Sliced Ham?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
I am making a spiral sliced ham and I want to try a new glaze for it. I had an idea in mind but then yesterday I caught part of the Barefoot Contessa's show and she made an amazing looking spiral sliced ham. Her glaze was 6 garlic cloves, orange marmalade, Dijon and some brown sugar. She just whirled it up and spread it over the ham.

Does anyone have a good glaze recipe? I usually just use pineapples, cloves and brown sugar. Looking for something different and easy. I'm leaning towards doing the glaze like Ina Garten (since I've got the ingredients in house and wont have to go tothe grocery again).

The glaze my mom used was simple and not very sophisticated but we enjoyed it. It was simpley yellow mustard and brown sugar stirred together and poured on the ham. Sometimes she would score the ham and dot it with whole cloves after putting the glaze on.

I like the little packet it comes with..lol...but the pineapple one sounds great. Maybe add a touch of heat to it.

I like the sound of the orange marmalade one as well. There was an interesting one done by Paula Dean, but I can't find it anywhere. Looked really yummy, but I think she is packaging it with spiral sliced hams so she probably won't have it posted anywhere for people to copy.

Actually, a splash of bourbon might taste really good on ham! I think I'm going to try the orange marmalade one, it looked really good and relatively easy and I've got all those ingredients on hand (bonus since I won't have to make another grocery run!)

I am making a spiral sliced ham and I want to try a new glaze for it. I had an idea in mind but then yesterday I caught part of the Barefoot Contessa's show and she made an amazing looking spiral sliced ham. Her glaze was 6 garlic cloves, orange marmalade, Dijon and some brown sugar. She just whirled it up and spread it over the ham.

Does anyone have a good glaze recipe? I usually just use pineapples, cloves and brown sugar. Looking for something different and easy. I'm leaning towards doing the glaze like Ina Garten (since I've got the ingredients in house and wont have to go tothe grocery again).

I have 2 different glazes I use for ham. I score the ham, then insert cloves into the fat. Sometimes I use Vernor's ginger ale, brown sugar and apple juice reduced a little and poured over the ham. Baste often. The juices will thicken to a glaze by the time the ham is done.
I have also used the orange marmalade, dijon mustard glaze (no garlic) and I LOVE that one.
My daughter makes hers with apple jelly, dijon, brown sugar and ginger ale. Hers is awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Help. My sister has been making ham with a glaze at multiple houses, multiple ovens and it almost never is done when she expects it done. So it ends up needing to cook longer than the glaze and the glaze gets cooked too brown. Any idea on the internal temperature that she should start to glaze, and the temperature of the oven to continue to cook the ham? TIA ~Bliss

I basically do the same thing, but I add some clove to it.. Whole hams I dot with cloves. For a spiral, I just use ground in the marinade.

Jeff, I agree - I think the addition of clove would have been good. I made the orange marmalade glaze and I liked it BUT it had a bite from the garlic, might dial back the amount of garlic (or eliminate it altogether) next time.

Help. My sister has been making ham with a glaze at multiple houses, multiple ovens and it almost never is done when she expects it done. So it ends up needing to cook longer than the glaze and the glaze gets cooked too brown. Any idea on the internal temperature that she should start to glaze, and the temperature of the oven to continue to cook the ham? TIA ~Bliss

The glaze should be put on in the last 15 - 30 minutes or so of cooking. If the ham is pretty much warm it's time for the glaze to go on. :chef:

I agree. Like bbq sauce, the sugar in the glaze will carmelize too much if heated too long. I don't put bbq sauce on ribs, or glaze on the ham til the last 20 minutes. Uncover and let the glaze do it's thing.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon orange peel ( we use a little bit more )

Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small saucepan. Stir in the water than add the honey and lemon juice.
Bring this up to a boil and continue to boil for 1 minute stirring constantly.
After it thickens up add the butter and orange peel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom