Goose fat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
the local grocer is selling containers of goose fat. & they're not cheap.
other than a Chef instructor that would deep-fry foods in that, i've not known another that used duck fat. (i'm still puzzling over where he got enough goose drippings for a fryer.)
i'm uncertain where i'd use goose fat. for shallow-frying? flavoring food?
info would be greatly appreciated.
would buying a goose & roasting him be more more feasible for obtainig drippings?

I haven't seen containers of goose fat in my neck of the woods Luvs. I have saved and used duck fat in the past for frying potatoes, but have never tried goose fat before. Last week, I saved some chicken fat, (shmaltz maybe?) I'm still trying to figure out what to do with that! :LOL:

he-he, another local sells shmaltz, i went for 1, then decided i'd render fat from my own chix.

Baking

Try using it as a replacment for butter in baking. I made a jalapeno chedder cornbread once with duck fat and it was amazing, also you can use it to make a hollandaise or anything else that would use butter.

Luvs, I use goose fat when I'm oven roasting potatoes. Gives it an extra flavour. I also crush some garlic cloves and spread those around the tray they sit on. Good stuff :D.

One of the best uses is in exchange for butter when roasting vegetables. One book that may help you out is Fat by McClellen.

Nathalie DuPree suggested sauteing bread (toast-like) in the goose fat to go with soup. We did it, and MAN! was it ever delicious. :)

ChefJune - I've never thought of that one before, cheers for the heads up, will try that one tonight!

It's used a lot in the UK at Christmas for roasting potatoes, they are delicious roasted in goose fat.

in Taiwan some restaurants that sell goose put goose fat on the rice and put a little bit of goose stock with the rice and some bamboo. its pretty good

Goose is EXPENSIVE around these parts!!! I looked at one for roasting. $56!!!! I'll stick with duck.

thanks guys! appreciation for this info!
i'm gonna cook the baby potatoes (smallest potatoes i've bought; like an newborn tater. :)
fry them in the fat.
& that goose fat bread sounds great! my Grampa would make me 'frybread' using butter & man oh man i miss himm & that!
i buy my confit since the 'iggle stocks that. so i wouldnt likely make my own.

OMG--i wish my local grocer had goose fat (or duck fat) for sale, no matter the cost. the last duck i cooked for thanksgiving so disappointed me with its stingy rendering of fat. i found out that the ducks are now raised to produce a higher meat per pond ratio. bummer! goose and duck fat work wonders with fried and baked potatoes and other vegetables. i wouldn't be half the cook my family thinks i am without my duck and goose fat. without generous dollops of goose fat stirred into my bavarian style sauerkraut, i doubt it would have achieved the wild success and acclaim (we) have enjoyed all these many years. oooh, and for a quick snack, slather a layer of this fabulous fat on a slice of dense rye bread or pumpernickel, with a sprinkle of sea salt. yumm--worth the price of the goose fat right there!!

Last edited:
I myself do not care for goose but, I like this line.

"Departed goose I neither know nor care. But this I know we pronounced thee fine." Robert Southey

In the days gone by they used to rub goose grease on your chest when you had a cold. Nasty!

oooh, and for a quick snack, slather a layer of this fabulous fat on a slice of dense rye bread or pumpernickel, with a sprinkle of sea salt.

I was waiting for s/one to mention that...that's how we ate it when I lived in Germany (on Schwarzbrot).

A friend of mine puts goose fat on peas...I render chicken fat and use it to roast potatoes (like so many others have mentioned).

OMG--i wish my local grocer had goose fat (or duck fat) for sale, no matter the cost. the last duck i cooked for thanksgiving so disappointed me with its stingy rendering of fat. i found out that the ducks are now raised to produce a higher meat per pond ratio. bummer! goose and duck fat work wonders with fried and baked potatoes and other vegetables. i wouldn't be half the cook my family thinks i am without my duck and goose fat. without generous dollops of goose fat stirred into my bavarian style sauerkraut, i doubt it would have achieved the wild success and acclaim (we) have enjoyed all these many years. oooh, and for a quick snack, slather a layer of this fabulous fat on a slice of dense rye bread or pumpernickel, with a sprinkle of sea salt. yumm--worth the price of the goose fat right there!!

:rolleyes: Are you trying to get me to put back all the weight I lost? :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom