Gordonsville, VA Fried Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbarainnc

Senior Cook
I'm looking for a recipe for a batter dipped fried chicken. Gordonsville, Va is known as the Fried Chicken Capital of the World. Anyone live there or near there, or know of the recipe??

Gordonsville is a relatively small town fairly close to me, sort of midway between Culpeper & Charlottesville. Definitely charming in its own way.

I have never heard of it being the "Fried Chicken Capital of The World" though. I'd love to know where you heard that since even the town itself doesn't seem to know about the title (per their website) - lol!! There are far far more places much farther south than Virginia that surely deserve to hold that particular title.

I do have a regional Virginia cookbook kicking around here somewhere, & if I can dig it up, I'll see if it has any fried chicken recipes from Gordonsville though.

Thanks for that link/info Karen!! I've been to Gordonsville several times, but never to the Exchange Hotel. I am, however, sort of thinking the "Fried Chicken Capital of the World" is more specific to those legendary & historical fried chicken vendors than it really is to the world. And strangely enough, I've never come across fried chicken there, but I haven't dined there very much. Next time I'm in the vicinity, I'll definitely have to take a closer look.

Hey Barb,
I googled gordonsville virginia fried chicken recipe and found one. I don't think I can post the recipe here though due to copywrite reasons. But if you google it, you can find it. Also there is a book by John T Edge about fried chicken that has a gordonsville recipe in it.
Hope this helps.
John

John you can post a link to the recipe. That is within the rules and does not violate copyright law.

The best VA or MD fried chicken I have ever had has been open pan fried (saute pan style with part of the chicken out of the fat, needing to be turned etc. Seems to always be the best.

Back
Top Bottom