Granny Smith Apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debbie24

Senior Cook
So i told DH to get Golden Delicious and he got Granny Smith, only 3 so not too bad. They are nice size though. Anyway whats your fav thing to do with granny smith apples? Any recipes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dipping them into caramel or even whipped cream is simply delish. caremel and cream....theres an idea!

Chop them and saute with butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Makes a great topping for waffles.

Yum. I have one every morning with my breakfast. I just wash it and...eat it. Some of the ones I've had recently have been so juicy that they've dripped off my chin. Love Granny Smith apples.

AMEN SISTAH!!!!

If you get a small wheel or wedge of brie, top it with brown sugar and chopped walnuts; either bake in oven or nuke, no matter, once warmed and runny scoop it up on top of a wedge of granny smith apple or a baguette. Triple cream/creme brie would be the best but it's not mandatory.

They also make one heck of an apple crisp. Thanks to Alix I can bake!

This obviously is for more than 3 apples but you can alter to fit any amount.

Pile apples high in 9 x 9 pan because they will “bake down”.

Peel, core and dice some apples. Do about 2 medium sized apples per person you want to serve. Toss about 1 cup of the dry ingredients in with the diced apples. I like to do granny smiths.

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup quick oats
2/3 cup flour

Mix these together. Toss some of it with the apples (add cinnamon here), then add 1/2 cup or more of butter to the sugar/oats/flour and blend till mixed well. Use hands or pastry blender for best effect.

Then to the rest of the dry stuff add 1/2 to 2/3 cup butter and work it with your hands till it’s crumbly. Dump it on top of the apples and toss it in the oven to bake for about an hour at 350.

Last edited:
AMEN SISTAH!!!!

If you get a small wheel or wedge of brie, top it with brown sugar and chopped walnuts; either bake in oven or nuke, no matter, once warmed and runny scoop it up on top of a wedge of granny smith apple or a baguette. Triple cream/creme brie would be the best but it's not mandatory.

Oh, crap, Vicky. Now I have to go back (30 miles one way) to buy some brie. I always have brown sugar and walnuts. And, poo, Buck and I ate the last of our homemade baguette last night. You are evil.:ROFLMAO:

I love using Granny Smiths in salads (mini-salads paired with a protein) and in relishes. They pair well with pork, scallops, salmon, crab, duck, foie gras, and venison. There's some others but I had a lot of wine at dinner so that's all that I can think of for now.

Peel Or Leave On ,core,slice..add Touch Of Cinnamon,some Brown Sugar, (to Taste) A Pat Of Butter Fry Till Tender Serve With Pork Chops

I like them sliced and with salt. I know I know yuk.

I did make a pie with them too.

My 15 yr old grandson lives on Granny Smiths. I think they're too tart to eat out of hand. I make awesome apple sauce with 2 Royal Gala, 3 Granny Smith and 2 Golden Delicious apples, among other ingredients. The GS keeps the applesauce from being too sweet. A little shot of brandy in the sauce helps too. :rolleyes:

Corazon's French Apple Cake and Verablue's Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce are both great. I have made the following recipe for dessert and everyone loves it:

Caramel Apple Dumplings

Sauce:
1-1/2 cup water
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 TBS butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ t salt

Dumplings:
1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Baking powder
½ cup milk
2 TBS butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup diced apples

Combine all sauce ingredients in pan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
Start dumplings-combine flour, sugar, baking powder together.
Add milk, butter and vanilla, stir just until moist, add apples.
Drop into the boiling sauce – the size of large teaspoons.
Lower heat to low, cover and cook until knife inserted comes out clean-about 8-10 min.
Serve over vanilla ice cream.

here's a link to one of my favourite things to make with granny smiths.

Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Apples and Onions Recipe at Epicurious.com

for tweaks: i use more fennel seeds and mustard than the recipe calls for, to give the top of the tenderloin a good coat, and i add a hunk of butter to finish the sauce. :chef:

reading back, i agree with uncle bob, again (man, this guy knows how to eat!). my wife makes a killer apple pie using a combo of apples, about half of which are granny smiths.

Last edited:
Granny Smith is my second choice (Pippins are so hard to find any more) for all my cooking and baking needs, from pies to my extremely popular Sweet Potato and Apple Bake side dish for Lechon (roasted pork with liver pâté gravy).

Cut them in half, take out the core and fill the empty spot with peanut butter. (Presuming you aren't allergic) Excellent snack that will give you energy fast and it will stick with you for a bit too.

At Cracker Barrell they have cooked apples in a sauce that is yummy. Anyone have a way to make this - I have lots of apples just starting to rippen on trees. Is this something that I could can?

Back
Top Bottom