Granola Bar Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-granola-bars-recipe-1948524.amp

I tried this recipe except used dry cherries instead of dates and forgot to use parchment paper on the buttered pan (which doesn't make sense to me). I could definitely taste the butter which wasn't appealing, and couldn't taste the fruit enough. What purpose does the butter serve? And is wheat germ really necessary? The granola fell apart way too easy. Nature's valley dry granola holds together better. Anyway to exclude butter and bind it much better?

The sugar is what makes grnoa stick together. I would add another 1/4 cup of either glucose, agave, or corn syrup to the recipe, or even, 1 half cup of marshmallow cream. The butter shouldn't be overpowering as you are not making rice krispy treats. also, make sure you put that parchment paper down on the sheet pan before the granola. It will make removing the cut bars so much easier. Then wrap the individual bars in wax paper to keep them fresh, and from sticking to each other.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The sugar is what makes grnoa stick together. I would add another 1/4 cup of either glucose, agave, or corn syrup to the recipe, or even, 1 half cup of marshmallow cream. The butter shouldn't be overpowering as you are not making rice krispy treats. also, make sure you put that parchment paper down on the sheet pan before the granola. It will make removing the cut bars so much easier. Then wrap the individual bars in wax paper to keep them fresh, and from sticking to each other.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Maybe processed peanuts added could help bind it? And substitute butter with coconut oil for better flavor? I had no issue separating from the pan. Can you recommend processing the oatmeal a little so the pieces are smaller?

Just sos ya knows, rolled barley has the same texture, and flavor of rolled oats, but is much more nutritious. However, try using steel cut oats instead of rolled oats. If you really need to use rolled oats, or rolled barley, place a cup into your blender and pulse a few times, not to make flour, but just enough to braked the flakes into smaller pieces.

I hope that answers your question.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom