Head space and lid questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I just put up 16 jars of pickles on Sunday. I've had 3 pop their seals! ARGH! I suspect that the issue was that I didn't leave enough head space for them dang it. However, I've tried using both the jars with sealer rings and glass lids, and then this time I tried the pop top disposable lids. So, questions:

1. How much head space do I need to leave? Is it 1 inch from the TOP of the jar or 1 inch from the shoulder?

2. Which lids are better? I've had the same problems with both types. Thoughts?

OK, I just put up 16 jars of pickles on Sunday. I've had 3 pop their seals! ARGH! I suspect that the issue was that I didn't leave enough head space for them dang it. However, I've tried using both the jars with sealer rings and glass lids, and then this time I tried the pop top disposable lids. So, questions:

1. How much head space do I need to leave? Is it 1 inch from the TOP of the jar or 1 inch from the shoulder?

2. Which lids are better? I've had the same problems with both types. Thoughts?

1. I wonder if you left too much head space. One inch is an awful lot. I measure from the top of the jar. Most recipes I've seen call for 1/4-1/2 inch head space. You may have some floaters, it shouldn't matter.

2. I only use the disposables, the "dink" noise tells me they're sealed. You can reprocess using new lids if they didn't seal, or put them in the fridge.

You have to remember to wipe the threads before you put the tops on, I've forgotten to do this, with unsatisfactory sealing on a jar. It had a dill seed under the lid. I wiped the threads, stuck a new lid on, screwed the band down, and reprocessed.

What's your recipe?

Last edited:
I'm just curious what happens with the ones who popped? Can you re-do them, eat them as is in something, do you have to toss them?

I'm just curious what happens with the ones who popped? Can you re-do them, eat them as is in something, do you have to toss them?

Yup, just reprocess or refrigerate or freeze them. No tossing.

we alway use the pop kind. I re-use the rings, as I remove the rings once the lid has "poped sealed". The head space is dependant also on how hot the liquid is in the jar. The cooler the more expansion you will get when it heats. When we can green beans, I use hot water to fill (although I use very little water, just enough to boil) the jars and that way I get a minimum amount of expansion.

@pacanis, well we opened one jar and they are delicious! The other 2 are in the downstairs mini fridge. I'm not THRILLED about having 3 jars to power through.

@GA Home Cook. Thanks for the info.

Anyone got some help on the head space question?

@Dawgluver - oops! Didn't see your post. You think I have too MUCH headspace? Mom always told me 1 inch, and I never thought to ask questions. I can't ask her now, she doesn't remember much about cooking. My recipe is almost identical to CharlieD's. Clean and sterilize jars, wash and prepare cukes, garlic and dill. Fill jars. Boil 4c distilled water and 1/4 cup coarse salt, pour over cukes while boiling. Place rings and seal finger tight. Wait for pop and you're set.

@sparrowgrass, thanks! We go through these pickles like there is no tomorrow because we don't get them often. Thanks for the link.

Hmmm...now I want to try one with 1/2 inch headspace. I may have to go get some baby cukes on my shopping trip later.

Um...OK WTH??? We finished off jar #1 of pickles so I went to retrieve jar #2 of popped seal pickles from the mini fridge only to find that they were actually sealed. I couldn't break the seal with my fingers but the button on top was popped. Any thoughts folks? This is odd.

Sounds like it sealed, should be OK. It was a slow learner. You mean the top button was popped down, indented, right?

All the lids popped down originally. When I went to check them at the 3 day marker 3 of them had popped back up. Or so I thought. The first jar I brought up was definitely not sealed, the lid slid off with no effort. I put the other jars in the fridge and when I brought up this latest jar, the lid was stuck tight! I took it back down and brought up the 3rd jar. Again, lid slid off no effort. Weird. All three jars looked the same, but the 2nd jar was actually sealed even though the poppy thing was popped up not down.

Hm. If the poppy thing was up, I would still keep it in the fridge, even though it sealed.

BBB says not to use the glass ones anymore. They recommend the two piece vaccuum seal lids.

I read that. Still thinking I'm going to give it a go. I'll make sure my will is up to date.

Ooookkkayy.

Thanks for the recipe, BTW, Alix! My cukes are coming on now.

Last edited:
Hope you like them. They're what I grew up with and frankly, no other pickle measures up.

So you don't process them at all, in a water bath canner? Just boil the water and salt and pour, that's it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom