Hello from North Carolina BBQ country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hooz

Assistant Cook
Hello All,
My name is Dale but better known as "Hooz" in the biker world. I live just north of Winston Salem, NC in "Oil barrel" pig cookers country. For those not familiar that is those big oil barrels that have been cut in half and mounted on wheels used to cook anything you can get on it.
I have a permanent campfire site about 60 feet from my house that we use almost daily if weather permits. We have a bar and electrical outlets and water there also. I have rope lights in the trees and a few lighted Palm trees through the woods for atmosphere. LOL!
I discovered this site while looking for campfire grills and accessories and am so glad I did. Have spent hours on here already and amazed at the wealth of information here. After cremating several racks of ribs it was nice to see how they should be done. Can't wait to try out some of these tricks.
My wife has a KitchenAid mixer and I bought her the accessory pack for Christmas. It was nice to find threads on here on how to use them and tips on making sausage.
Really looking forward to spending time on here and will try to post a pic of my campsite sometime.

Hooz :cool:

Howdy Hooz,

I'm from Georgia myself, was heading to North Carolina and got lost, tripped over a snow bank and here I am in Canada ;)

welcome to DC, a nice place.

so what kind of bbq sauce do you use? vinegar, sugar and red chili flakes?

Yep, you are familiar with BBQ. Definitely vinegar based around here and for me the more pepper the better. Eastern NC more tomato and sweeter. Georgia to Canada a pretty big jump.

Hey guys!

BBQ is something I love and pride myself on being a master BBQ'er However, I admit that I know zero about real barbeque. That is...slow smoking. I'm pretty mush a broiler man, although I do prefer charcoal or wood to gas. That's a no-brainer!!

Anyway, I have this bigass stainless steel BBQ that cost me $1700.00 CDN. I have it hooked into the gas line on my house. It was convenient and wonderful!! Well...I split with my wife about a year ago, sold our big house and bought a smaller house that had no gas hookup for my BBQ!!

I didn't want to rejet the BBQ and I wanted to grill some meat soon after I moved in, so I bought a $12.00 BBQ and some charcoal. You know...this little puppy turns out better tasting BBQ that that huge mother of a Q! I'm hooked on smoke now!

Anybody want a BBQ?

Marko

yeah I know my regional bbq sauces! :)

my taste in bbq sauce changes, right now I like making a cross between a NC vinegar based sauce with a mustard based SC sauce. mmm good

I used to live in Charleston SC and we would vacation in NC. one time by force because of the hurricane evacuation we had a few years ago

I'd like to see this bbq haven you have outside, can you post pictures?

When I built my house I ran a propane line to the carport for my grill. I only do a Boston Butt or shoulder occasionally and use my Holland grill for that. Do not have to worry about running out of gas over 6 hour period. I do not have one of those barrel cookers and cook very little BBQ since every church or fire department around are cooking on weekends. I have another Holland grill at campsite and usually just roast hotdogs or use my dutch oven. I have a 2.5" pipe buried in cement 15" deep that I can stick another pipe in with arm sticking out to hang my 7 gallon cast iron pot on. This is used for chicken stew and can be swung around over fire as needed. Can also hang my dutch oven from it. I agree that best BBQ is done on wood and when looking to for a place to eat I look for the smoke and chimney but many doing gas as I do and sauce has much to do with taste. Depending on weather I have setup for my big pot to do wood or gas but a few ashes in stew seems to enhance the taste. Raining here now and I am recovering from broken leg due to motorcycle accident but will try and get a campsite pic soon and try to post.

Hooz :cool:

Back
Top Bottom