"Homemade" Cherry Tart - recipe and confession

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Several weeks ago, My DH brought home 2 cans of cherry pie filling - you know the stuff - a few cherries in a thick gloppy SWEET sauce. I'm not sure what he was thinking as we live in one of the biggest cherry producing regions in the country but I am loathe to let food go to waste so I set out to find a way to use them. Low and behold I now have a new, favorite fast "homemade' tart.

To make this you will need a 9 inch metal tart panl and some pie crust. I add a little cinnamon to mine...

filling:
1/3 C dried cherries, soaked to soften in kirsch and then mostly drained (you can speed this process by microwaving the cherries and Kirsch for a minute (to boiling point).
1 can cherry pie filling
1/2 C roughly chopped hazelnuts - leave some big pieces.
1/8 tsp cinnamon

Oven 425

Assemble and bake:
Line tart pan with pie crust
Mix all filling ingredients together and fill prepared tart pan
Cover with a lattice top.

Bake for 15 mins at 425 (center rack) and then reduce temp to 375. Cook till crust begins to brown a little - maybe another 35 mins or so. Be sure to put a piece of foil on the rack below the tart to catch any drips.

Serve with a scoop of ice bream or some whipped cream or just plain. Easy - fast, totally yummy.

cheap tart.jpg

Looks and sounds divine, Janice! The only item on your list I DON'T have on hand is the canned pie filling! Will have to sneak it into my cart and hope nobody notices :ROFLMAO:

I know how you feel - after I made this twice - I went and bought more pie filling. The checker who knows me, cocked an eyebrow my way when she scanned it, leaned over and said "I'll never tell"..

Yeah - right. Sigh....

Still it was totality delicious and the krirsch and hazelnuts make it taste alike a modern riff on an old German recipe.

Snip 13 said:
Sounds good Janet :)
We don't get canned pie filling here so maybe I'll find something else to use instead.

Just use fresh cherries and cook them on the stove top with lots of sugar. Thicken with corn starch, and I bet it will be even better than the pie filling.

I know how you feel - after I made this twice - I went and bought more pie filling. The checker who knows me, cocked an eyebrow my way when she scanned it, leaned over and said "I'll never tell"..

Yeah - right. Sigh....

Still it was totality delicious and the krirsch and hazelnuts make it taste alike a modern riff on an old German recipe.

Oh, yeah, I need kirsch as well! Good thing I am going for Dad's beer tomorrow.

I bought a couple of cake mixes awhile back and one of the cashiers said "so THAT's your secret recipe for chocolate cake." I said "no, that's still a secret. This the secret behind my double chocolate cookies." She doubted me so I took her a couple of cookies the next time and the "recipe". She is now hooked on cake box cookies!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom