How Do I Get Started Cooking For Two?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Figgy340

Assistant Cook
OK, here's my situation.

I've got an apartment, with a sink, a stovetop thingy, and no oven. I have some pots and pans, various utensils.

I enjoy cooking, but most of the things I know how to make involve an oven. I'm also not very familiar with how to stock a kitchen - usually when I cook at home, it's for recreation, so I just go out and buy whatever I need.

Now, i'm in charge of food every day for me and my girlfriend. Unfortunately, i'm used to college where I had a meal plan every day and basically just cooked for fun.

So, I need some basic ideas:

- Simple recipes to get me started. I'm mostly familiar with pastas and simple sautee-ing chicken and that kind of thing.

- What basic things should I keep around so that if nothing else, I can always just look around and throw a few things together in a skillet so we won't go hungry.

Also, we're both a little health conscious and trying to lose weight, so things that are nutritious and not fattening preferred.

Also, I currently reside in Beijing, China. So basically, simple asian cuisine would be very cheap and easy. So any suggestions involving rice, noodles, soy, stir-fry, etc would be great.

Friends, can you help us not starve?

Last edited:
Hi Figgy, welcome to DC!

So I take it your recreational cooking wasn't Asian? If not, apart from the Asian cuisine you meantioned, do you want to cook other types of food cos that will determine what you need in your basic cupboard.

For Chinese, you are going to need a lot of fresh ingredients - ginger, garlic, local herbs and spices, salt, pepper or whatever you have available in Beijing. You already know that you will need a stock of rice and a variety of noodles. You will also need a couple of different soy sauces, a rice wine vinegar, dried shrimp, dried mushrooms, dried shallots.

You probably also could do with two different types of woks, one with a round bottom and a couple of "D" handles and one that is more stable and has a long handle. A couple of steamer baskets of different sizes, a deep fry basket spoon.

This site may help Chinese Food Recipes - Cooking Chinese Cuisine - Chinese Recipes

As to a Western store cupboard, well all purpose flour, rice, onions, tomatoes, pasta, potatoes, various herbs (such as parsley, basil, coriander, chives...) and spices (paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg...), salt and pepper. There is a huge list of basic items to stock but I don't know that everything will be readily available in China.

Maybe you could hone us in a bit more as to your preferences and we can help you in a bit more detail.

Figgy I was with you until the Beijing thing.

Hou lovely you can live there. But I have no idea what to tell you to do about cooking.

But there are a whole bunch of folks who can - your neighbors.

There have to be folks there who can give you good advice. You just have to seek them out.

Good luck.

Right now, my preferences are either asian (it's easier due to the cheapness of available ingredients, and the fact that I might as well learn while in Asia!) or Italian cuisine that's fairly simple to make. I say Italian because it's what I was raised on and what I have experience with, and because there is a lovely little cheap import place nearby where I can get a lot of good ingredients.

Simplicity is definitely key right now, i'm really just getting started and I don't want to mess up a dish because it's too complicated - my girl is relying on me for food, haha! :) Also, as I said before, healthy things would be lovely - not covered in oil or grease, low in fat and sodium, etc. I know a lot of asian food makes heavy use of oil, so i'd like to avoid the kind of thing that's going to make my heart skip after I eat it.

So yeah, any suggestions of simple foods that can be made without an oven, especially italian or asian. I think I have an idea of what to keep on hand. Im basically going to make a weekly menu, and there's a grocery store nearby. I can run down and buy what I need if i'm missing a few things. I feel i'll accumulate the necessities as I go along.

I've already got the rest of this week's menu planned out using mostly basic stuff and a few old stock italian goodies I know. . .she takes care of lunch on her own, so breakfasts include an omelette, a fruit smoothie, an egg sandwich, and this "breakfast rice" my mother used to make. (Making use of leftover rice, of course!). Dinners so far are herb and lemon marinated chicken, pasta with red sauce, chicken parm, and penne w/vodka sauce. Pretty stock italian, haha! But at least she's not familiar with most of it, being that she's Chinese. Figures i'd get the chinese girl who can't cook, haha, or i'd ask her for help with the asian stuff. :rolleyes:

Help me spice it up. :-D

AuntDot, that would be a lovely idea, but unfortunately, my Chinese language skills, while passable, are not quite up to par for asking advice about cooking, haha! I could have my girlfriend translate, though.

Actually, most things are available at the local import place, Jenny Lou's, and the big supermarkets do have a lot of western foods. I only said asian cuisine would be nice because its cheaper here, haha! As for suggestions, treat it as you would anyone in a western country . . .except they're working without an oven. :)

LOL - I could have helped you with the one you haven't got but can't for the one you do!!!

Anyway, while you've been gone, I have had a bit of a rummage through some recent threads that may be of assistance to you.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/pantry-staples-40121.html
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/iso-cheap-easy-recipes-40379.html

Have a read of those and see if they help you. If they don't, post again. (Well post again anyway!!!!)

Just saw your second post (previously only saw the one to AuntDot). The authentic Chinese shouldn't all be oily. I know a lot of Western Chinese is. You should try doing some steaming as that is very low fat. If you use a lot of the fresh aromatics, you will be able to cut down on the salt content, but be careful with the soy.

Your Italian dishes sound pretty good!!

I have to say that I don't use my oven very often - mainly stove top and microwave. Or occasionally my griller. With the kitchenware you have, you should be able to do heaps of dishes. You may even be able to do a lasagne of sorts in the crockpot!!

For a twist on the Asian theme, you could introduce your g/f to Thai flavours or Japanese or Korean. Green curry dishes are slightly spicy but very aromatic.

Does any of this help you or do you want to shove me in a better direction??

I would recommend you buy a wok and some oil. I know it seems fattening but its almost all protein the way I cook. You should try to get peanut or canola oil, coconut oil if you can find it.

With a wok you can stir fry rice (which you would pre cook in a pot)
you will need:
2 cups rice *cooked ahead of time*
1 tsp. oil (coat entire wok. you can sub. butter or margarine)
Diced veggies of choice
Cooked protein of choice
Soy (2 tablespoons)
Salt (dash, or to taste)
Pepper (dash, or to taste)

So theres a simple starter.

I have a recipe for Orange chicken in the Ethnic Section and if you dig theres a ton of others.

The key to chinese chicken is to cook it "tempura" style where you make a simple batter and fry it once, drain chicken, remove oil to a bowl (to use again later) and build a sauce to coat your chicken.

For a sauce, Chili Sauce is good or CHili Paste coupled with vinegar and sugar. This will create a sweet and spicy type sauce. Scallions or onions help accent a dish. I would avoid sesame oil until you are more comfortable with asian cooking.

Once a sauce starts bubbling in your wok it is time to introduce the chicken and or other protein.. You can always sub a diff. type of meat in any of my or other asian recipes but be aware different meats take different times to cook thoroughly. CHicken in 1" cubes should only take a few minutes. Beef takes longer, cut it very very thin and fry til crispy. You want to coat your protein in potato or corn starch. Flour works if you have nothing else.

Last edited:
Furthermore you can grill any of your dishes and use the same sauces if you are trying to cut down on oil. No grill? Bake it on a pan with an elevated rack for drippings.

Also, I buy preserved garlic and ginger so you wont have as much spoils. Scallions are an exception to this and IMO are a must for certain dishes. There was a really great "chinese style bbq ribs" recipe on here ill try to repost it.

Figgy, here's a few of my Asian Fusion stir-fry recipes for you to play with. All you need is a really good wok (think you can fing one in Beijing?) and some peanut oil.

BEEF BROCCOLI

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb thinly sliced flank steak
1 Tbs rice wine
1 Tbs cornstarch
3 to 5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bunch green onions or scallions, chopped
1 Lb broccoli cut into florets
2 Tbs oyster sauce
1 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs water
4 Tbs sesame oil
1 tsp grated ginger root
1/3 c water

Sauce made with
1 tbs Soy sauce
1 tbs Cornstarch

DIRECTIONS:

Dissolve the cornstarch in the 2 Tbs water, then add rice wine and soy sauce,. Marinate the beef in this mixture for at least 1 hour.

In a wok or large skillet, stir fry the marinated beef in 2 Tbs sesame oil until just barely browned. Do not overcook. Remove the beef from the skillet and put aside. Wipe out the wok and return to heat. Add another 2 Tbs sesame oil and heat. Add the garlic, onion, oyster sauce, and ginger And allow to cook in oil for about 1 minute. Add the broccoli and stir fry for about 1 minute, then add the 1/3 cup water, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Combine the soy sauce and cornstarch to make a sauce. Remove the cover, and add the almost cooked beef into the broccoli. Add the sauce, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens and the beef and broccoli are fully cooked.

CHEF CAINE'S CASHEW CRUSTED CHICKEN

4 chicken breasts, pounded thin
1/2 pkg Mee Krob or bihon (rice noodles)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp minced onion
1 tsp crushed chili peppers
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp salt
1Tbs corn starch dissolved in 2 Tbs water

1 cup flour
2 eggs beaten with 1/4 cup milk
1-1/2 cups finely crushed cashews

1 bunch scallions
1 mango, shredded
1 red bell pepper, julienned

Combine orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, peanut oil, oyster sauce, brown sugar, white pepper, garlic, onion, chili peppers, minced ginger, and salt in bowl and marinate pounded chicken breasts for 2 hours. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Reserve marinade.

Place rice noodles in strainer inside bowl and fill bowl with boiling water. Pour marinade into pot, add cornstarch mixture, and heat in saucepan until thickened.. Dredge chicken in flour, egg mixture, then crushed cashews. Fry coated chicken in 4 Tbs peanut oil until done, turning once. Remove strainer from bowl to drain noodles, then divide on 4 individual plates. Place one chicken breast on each bed of rice noodles. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with mango, scallion, and bell pepper. Serve with stir-fried mixed vegetables, such as broccoli florets, baby carrots, and Chinese pea pods.

CHEF CAINE'S POLYNESIAN PIG-OUT

4 boneless pork chops, pounded thin
Peanut oil for sauteing

Marinade

1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup pineapple vinegar
1 Tbs sesame oil
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp minced onion
10 cracked red chilis
2 tsp minced ginger
2 tsp salt

Coating

1 cup flour
2 eggs beaten with 1/4 cup milk
1 cup finely crushed macadamia nuts

Chutney

1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 small green mango, diced
1/3 cup crushed pineapple
3 Tbs white onion, diced
2 tsp lemon juice
2 Tbs Pineapple vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1/2 small red bell pepper, diced
4 scallions, diagonally sliced

Combine pineapple juice, teriyaki sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar, pepper, garlic, onion, chilis, minced ginger, and salt in bowl and marinate pounded pork chops for 4 hours or overnight. Remove pork chops from marinade and pat dry with paper towels..

Dredge pork chops in flour, egg mixture, then crushed macadamias. Sauté coated pork chops in peanut oil until done, turning once. Place one chop on each plate and top with chutney. Serve with fried rice and stir-fried broccoli, carrots, sugar snap peas, and water chestnuts.

Chicken Imperial

Make this sauce and refrigerate until needed:
1/2 cup Cornstarch
1/4 cup Water
1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh Garlic
1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh Ginger
3/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup White Vinegar
1/4 cup Rice wine, Sherry, or white wine
1 can Chicken Broth

Put everything into a container with a lid and shake it up, then put in the fridge. Shake it up again when you are ready to use it.

3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken, cut into chunks
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1 egg, beaten
1 cup Cornstarch
2 cups sliced scallions
8 dried red chiles, cracked
Peanut Oil for frying

Mix chicken with soy sauce and egg. Add cornstarch, and mix until chicken pieces are coated. At this point, the chicken is going to look like you'll want to flush it down the disposal. RESTRAIN YOURSELF! Fry chicken pieces a few at a time in hot oil in wok until crispy. Drain on paper towels.

Heat 1 Tbs peanut oil in wok until very hot. . Add onions and chiles, and stir fry about 30 seconds, then add the pre-made sauce. Cook until thick. If it gets too thick, add water or chicken broth as desired. Add chicken and cook until hot and bubbly. Serve over steamed rice.

And two more that wouldn't fit in the first post:

KUNG PAO BEEF, PORK, CHICKEN, SHRIMP, FISH OR TOFU (a.k.a. meat!)

1 1/2 pounds beef , pork, or chicken strips, shrimp, tofu, or fish pieces
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine or sherry
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tbs peanut oil
4 dried red chiles, cracked
1 Tbs garlic, minced
1/2 Tbs grated ginger
1 tsp pepper
2 scallions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cut in strips
2 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs rice wine or sherry
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 cup chicken broth
1 Tbs cornstarch, dissolved in 4 Tbs water
1/3 cup unsalted, dry roasted peanuts

Combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine/sherry, egg and salt in a glass bowl. Add the meat and stir to coat. Marinate for 1 hour, covered, in the refrigerator.

Combine the soy sauce, rice wine, balsamic vinegar, sugar and chicken broth.

Place peanut oil in a wok, and swirl to coat sides, then place over high heat. Add the chilies and cook until they begin to darken. Add the garlic, ginger and pepper and continue to cook to infuse the oil. Add the scallions and bell pepper. Remove the meat from the marinade, and add it to the wok. Stir-fry the meat for 3 minutes. Add the soy sauce, rice wine, balsamic vinegar, sugar and chicken broth mixture to wok and heat to boiling while constantly stirring, then add the cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Add the peanuts and stir to blend.

Mongolian Stir Fry

Ingredients:

1 pound Flank steak or lean pork, sliced thin; chicken, turkey or tofu, cubed; or shrimp, shelled, cleaned, and deveined
peanut oil for frying
1 small onion or shallot, sliced thin
4 oz snow peas
4 oz Green onion, green part only
4 oz button mushrooms
2 cloves finely minced garlic

Coating:

1 Egg white
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cornstarch

Sauce:

1 tsp Cornstarch
1 tsp Turbinado Sugar
1 tsp Chinese chili sauce
2 Tbs dry Sherry, white wine, or rice wine
2 Tbs Hoisin sauce
2 Tbs soy sauce
1/4 cup beef, chicken, shrimp, or vegetable stock

Combine sauce ingredients and set aside. Combine egg white, salt and cornstarch, add meat, shrimp or tofu, and mix well to coat. Heat 2 Tbs oil in wok over high heat, then stir fry meat, shrimp or tofu until just cooked through and remove from wok. Add additional Tbs peanut oil to wok and stir fry onion or shallot, and snow peas, and for 1 minute. Add green onion, mushrooms and garlic and continue stir-frying until mushrooms are tender. Add sauce to vegetables and heat until sauce has thickened. Add meat, shrimp or tofu and stir until heated through.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom