How many BTU's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
I know I haven't been around much lately and I'm sorry for that. I really had no idea how much work a toddler would be LOL. Being a stay-at-home dad and running a full time party business out of the home isn't easy at all:LOL:

Anyway, I'm ready to upgrade the range in my kitchen andI want to spend some money. I want a free standing gas range and want to spend about $1,500 to $2,000. I'd LOVE to have a downdraft but will settle for the micro-hood. It MUST be convection (or convection ready). I don't have 220V to the range area yet so I'd probably neet to opt for gas convection but I can run 220 to the area if need be for a good gas range / electric convection.

My real question is about BTU's. My current range (GE Spectra XL44) has a 12,000 BTU burner but I feel it just isn't hot enough. Right now I'm kinda looking at a Kitchen Aid KGRA806P for $1468.00 from Lowes and it has a 15,000BTU triple Tier burner.

My reasoning for the higher output is for stir fry and wok cooking. When I really need high BTU's I use my 14" cast iron wok on my outdoor turkey fryer burner. The problem is I want to get this all done indoors ya know.

Any thoughts???

The more BTU the better, not only for wok cooking. I have an older Kitchen Aid stove with gas convection oven, it is not convecting anything. I absolutely hate my stove and can't wait to put money together to remoodal just to get new stove. My stove is 8 years old.

Charlie's right. Get as many BTUs as possible. Get two high output burners if you can. A wok isn't the only reason to have a HO burner.

Home chef said:
My real question is about BTU's. My current range (GE Spectra XL44) has a 12,000 BTU burner but I feel it just isn't hot enough. Right now I'm kinda looking at a Kitchen Aid KGRA806P for $1468.00 from Lowes and it has a 15,000BTU triple Tier burner.

My reasoning for the higher output is for stir fry and wok cooking. When I really need high BTU's I use my 14" cast iron wok on my outdoor turkey fryer burner. The problem is I want to get this all done indoors ya know.

Any thoughts???

Welcome back, HC.

My guess, the higher the BTU's, the higher your gas bill will be; and we know where that's going. If the primary concern is for stir frying, a wok will work as long as the oil is hot enough. I've cooked on some very old stoves, and never had a problem. As far as using the stove as a turkey fryer, perhaps a different appliance could serve those needs. (Never fried a turkey on the stove, so this is a guess.) I sort of roll my eyes when Emeril says, see this dial, use it, re high low, medium heat. I always thought that was a given. Personally, with the price of gas, I'd go with something energy efficient and has a warantee. There are some pretty amazing stoves out there (with hefty price tags), that will do just about anything. Take a look at HGTV's website and visit home/kitchen shows in your area (watch your local newspaper ads), to see what will suit your needs and go with your new decor. Best of luck. Let us know how it all turns out.:chef:

Last edited:
HO burner should be 14500 to 16000 BTU I doubt you can find a home range by anyone with 18000 or 24000 BTU (restaurant potential)

Even Kitchen stadium has let some challengers down on Iron Chef! Think of that.

mish said:
Welcome back, HC.

As far as using the stove as a turkey fryer, perhaps a different appliance could serve those needs. (Never fried a turkey on the stove, so this is a guess.)

Perhaps I misinterperated myself in this respect. What I meant to say was when I really need super high BTU's for wok cooking I take everything outside and use the burner setup for my turkey fryer. I would never think of frying a turkey indoors, let alone on my range.

Does anyone have any recommendations for ranges??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom