How To Serve A Tourtiere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
A good number of years ago, back near the beginning of the century, I wanted to make a tourtière. I did some research on various recipes and came up with one that appeared to be true to the history of the recipe. I made it and it was really good.

For whatever reason, it drifted into the far reaches of my culinary history and has been absent from my table for a long time.

I have a recent urge to make it again and began wondering how this dish was traditionally served. thus the title of this thread.

How are tourtières traditionally served? are there veggie side dishes, a starch such as potato or something else?

Looking forward to enlightenment.

I usually see it served with gravy, often with baked beans, always with ketchup available, homemade ketchup when you are lucky. Pickled or roasted beets can accompany it, as can peas and carrots. There could be potatoes, even though there are potatoes in the tourtière. Some people like maple syrup with it.

Tourtiere, a Christmas tradition in Quebec. Quite often served on Christmas Eve although each family has its own traditions. Ingredients are also extremely varied. It was a pie served for the poor and by the poor so whatever meats were available were in it. Some areas known for their pork, others for chicken, rabbit, combinations of whatever was snared. Now-a-days most recipes call for ground pork, a bit on the fatty side.

Most often served with a pickled something and/or sweet and sour something. I was introduced to it with a tomato Chili Sauce but as taxy says ketchup is probably most common. Anything you'd like to compliment the spicy meat and flaky crust.

I have a friend who has a wonderful :yum: recipe - whereas I suck at any attempt I've done :mad:- just don't get the spices right. Or maybe I'm lazy and just like to get hers. ;) :rolleyes:

I have made many tourtières. I usually use three kinds of meat. Trial and error has taught me that there has to be pork in a tourtière. As other meat, I have used: lamb, beef, snowshoe hare, venison, moose, and chicken. They all worked great, along with the pork.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom