Hyderabad Eggplant Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karadekoolaid

Head Chef
Last week I commented on an Indian eggplant/aubergine dish which is to die for! It´s called Baingan ka Salaan (Eggplant with a Sauce!) and is typical of the region around Hyderabad. This dish is HOT, so unless you´re a chile freak like me, you may want to cut down on the chile peppers.
It also looks like a very long, complicated recipe; it´s not. There are just a lot of ingredients, so the key to making it easy is mise en place - get everything ready before you start cooking.

2-3 medium eggplants, cut into wedges
4-5 tbsps oil
2-3 dry red chiles
2 tbsps sesame seeds
2 tbsps freshly grated coconut
3 tbsps unsalted peanuts
1/2 cup ( about 75 gms) onion, finely diced
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ginger, minced
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp hot red chile powder
A few curry leaves
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp jaggery ( palm sugar - or use brown sugar)
Water
Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a frying pan/skillet and gently fry the eggplant wedges on all sides until they are nicely browned and cooked through. (You may need a bit more oil...). Remove from the pan and set aside.
In a dry pan, toast the chiles, sesame seeds, coconut and peanuts until they begin to change colour. Remove and grind to a paste. set aside.
In the same pan you used for the eggplants, fry the onion until it softens. Now add the garlic & ginger and cook for a minute or so, stirring frequently.
Next, add the mustard seeds and fenugreek and fry until the seeds pop - about 30 seconds. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, hot chile powder and curry leaves and stir once or twice.
Add a cup of water to the mixture and the coconut/peanut paste. Mix well together and bring to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes , or until the sauce begins to thicken; add more water if necessary. Now add the tamarind and the sugar and mix well. Add salt! Taste the sauce : you should have a balance of sweet, sour, and hot.
Finally, place the eggplant wedges in the sauce and heat through.

Thanks for the recipe. It looks different than any eggplant dish I've made in thee past, and Im always looking to try new things.

Definitely going to give this a try.
I assume its fenugreek seeds ( and not the dried leaves) ?

That definitely looks good, Kara, and I will be making that soon! That looks very much like the okra salan recipe I made one time - the okra was fried in a small amount of oil about 12 to 13 min, then added to the sauce. And what you said is so true about many of these Indian and other Asian recipes looking so long, but as long as you have all of the ingredients mise en place, they go incredibly quickly.

Thanks for the recipe!

In June, I planted 3 plants and gave 3 away. My three promptly froze and I got one eggplant back. My single plant has 3 small fruits and this looks like a great recipe.

I made this dish today, and a friend and I liked it, but both of us thought that it could have used more coconut flavor, even after using virgin coconut oil for half the oil. And I added at least half again as much tamarind, as I was adjusting the seasoning. I doubled the peppers, as usual, and it still wasn't too hot! Very good served on brown basmati, and with some pickles.
Ingredients for Hyderabad style eggplant dish. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Toasted ingredients for Hyderabad eggplant dish. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Browned eggplant wedges. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Onions, garlic, and ginger, softened in coconut oil, with the mustard seed and fenugreek added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Powdered spices and curry leaves added to the mix, followed soon by the paste and water. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Paste added, with grinder rinsed out with the water added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Palm sugar and tamarind added - had to add a little more tamarind. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Eggplant wedges, re-heating in the sauce. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Brilliant! More coconut? Well why not; the peanuts are actually pretty invasive. I always use a fresh, grated coconut, because it´s one of the things that´s readily available . Not hot enough? Maybe use a different chile pepper? birds-eye chiles, or chiltepin? ( or even an habanero or three).
I ate a version of this in Masala Zone in London a few years back, and it was marked as "very hot" on the menu. It was - so I think you can definitely play around with the heat level.

Back
Top Bottom