I Don't Like Mondays in the Kitchen 10/5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Triple plated Dinner...
Chicken Vegetable Soup from the freezer, Chicken Pie, Home-Made, but not my home, and the Salad, of course ....

Soup, Chicjen Vegetable, Chicken Pie.jpg

A huge hole in my culinary repertoire has been fried chicken. I made it once years ago and was dissatisfied.

FF to today. I had a 4-pound chicken that I cut into ten pieces. I marinated the chicken overnight in seasoned buttermilk. Then I double coated it with seasoned flour and fried it in batches at 350ºF. I was not pleased with the result. The chicken was nice and juicy but the coating was disappointing.

42353235-0DFC-4DFA-B331-624EF8D95BB9_1_105_c.jpg

Back to the drawing board.

A huge hole in my culinary repertoire has been fried chicken. I made it once years ago and was dissatisfied.

FF to today. I had a 4-pound chicken that I cut into ten pieces. I marinated the chicken overnight in seasoned buttermilk. Then I double coated it with seasoned flour and fried it in batches at 350ºF. I was not pleased with the result. The chicken was nice and juicy but the coating was disappointing.

View attachment 43258

Back to the drawing board.
I've never been wowed by my fried chicken either..I think the temp has to be just right to cook crisp up the coating and not over cook it or dry it out before the inside is done...I also think the commercial stuff is full of salt..more than I want to put in mine..

I made a salad and served it with homemade "Italian dressing". I also fried up some chunks of chicken breast with a green masala to which I added some chicken stock. Brown basmati rice to go with that. I was very pleased with that masala and will be buying other types from them. It helps make variety without too much effort.

There will be fruit salad for dessert later.

Count me in the struggling column to make decent fried chicken too.

We had bacon potato onion frittata and some sliced tomatoes on the side.

I made mixed greens salads with olives and tomatoes. We also had macaroni and ground beef with a soupçon of mozzarella shreds mixed in. Part of the sauce was from a pint of tired grape tomatoes that were good but not pretty enough for salads. I roasted them with garlic and Italian seasoning, then added enough sauce from my emergency jar of store bought. Waste not, want not.

IMG_20201005_204818750_HDR.jpg

Gosh, now I want Fried Chicken!

I cheat, I brought this back from Hawaii.

DSC00886.jpg

Love me my Zippy's Restaurant Fried Chicken!
So when they came out with their own mix,
I was on that one.
I just moisten the meat and coat with the mix.

Anyways,

DSC00380.jpg

DSC00381.jpg

DSC00382.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

Comes out perfect every time!
I have no clue what temp I fry at, I simply
keep the oil bubblin' away.
Oh and THANK YOU, Mahalo K-L for that
suggestion of that collar for the pan, works like a dream!

OH! DINNER!
DH can't have solid food (has a procedure coming up)
so I just grazed.

Last night's dinner was pasta e fagioli, AKA "pasta fazool."

Attachments

• 2020-10-05 18.43.59.jpg
    2020-10-05 18.43.59.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 56
Rocklobster, you're going to make Craig want a "muff."

For those of you with fried chicken issues, try ATK's North Carolina dipped chicken. You don't have to do the dip if you don't want to and it makes great extra crispy chicken. Just make sure you follow all the directions.

Rocklobster, you're going to make Craig want a "muff."

For those of you with fried chicken issues, try ATK's North Carolina dipped chicken. You don't have to do the dip if you don't want to and it makes great extra crispy chicken. Just make sure you follow all the directions.

I baked some bread on Sunday morning and had a blob left over so I rolled it into a huge burger bun loaf...it dawned on me yesterday that I could use it for a big Sammy...still have half left to bring to work

Charlie, as I mentioned in my post, it was NOT my Chicken Pie......

So I don't have the recipe to share....... Sorry !:ermm:

Crockpot dinners all week here.
Tonight was cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and kielbasa. It was sort of like a stew and quite tasty.

Back
Top Bottom