I need a BBQ Short rib recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnaohooh

Assistant Cook
I need a bbq short ribs recipe that I can do in my oven. I have about 15 lbs of short ribs cut in large pieces.

Hi donna...

We might be talking "apples" & "oranges" here in terms of "BBQ".. but to me BBQ means long, slow, low temp (225-250 degrees F) cooking over (normally) charcoal with some smoke infused from a type of wood, typically a hardwood.

If that's the case, while I've never actually done "short ribs", I've "Q'ed" regular beef ribs (shall we call them "long ribs?" :) ) and it would probably be about the same.

I apply a dry rub consisting of paprika, red pepper, chili powder, black pepper, white pepper and brown sugar and wrap and refrigerate 24 hours before cooking the ribs. I don't measure but go heavier on the paprika (Hungarian), chili powder and brown sugar.

I might use my Weber 22" kettle and offset and bank down the fire.. I can get it as low as 300 degrees or sometimes lower that way without much fuss... or I'd toss them in my WSM smoker to make it easier.. and cook them.. hummm.. thinking.. maybe 6 hours?

I'm sure those with a good gas grill could give some advice too... the three/four burner Webers can usually be turned down to get 300 degrees or lower I'm told...

However, I usually associate short ribs with a braise or something... but I'm out of my league here so I'll sit back and learn along with you :rolleyes:

My favorite way to do shortribs is (not sure if you consider this BBQ or not though)

low sodium soy sauce
fresh grated ginger or ground
fresh garlic or powder
sesame oil
sesame seeds
spring onions
brown sugar
dry sherry

Marinate for a couple hours then put in baking dish with liquid and bake in 375° F oven for 2-3 hours.

EDITED TO ADD - after marinating the ribs can be finished on the grill - low heat or off-set heat with some wood chunks even, until done.

Last edited:
Elf, the term "BBQ" to the true aficionado is of course the low/slow smoke cooking... BUT... I've noticed that BBQ is also a common terminology used to denote food cooked with a spicy sauce of some kind. So I don't think it's wrong.

I remember growing up my Mother used to cook "barbecued pork ribs" and she would use about 1 cup of Woody's Cooking Sauce (NOT the barbecue sauce, the *cooking* sauce which is totally different.. and BTW.. it's an excellent flavor enhancer if, "very lightly", brushed on a steak before it's grilled.. or a hamburger even... ) and would add maybe 1 cup of water and toss them in a pressure cooker... :rolleyes: We LOVED them.. and THAT was also BBQ to me!

So, IMHO,, nothing is sacred. True BBQ is a hobby of mine... as it is to Rainee and a few others here I think... but I'm not obsessive on the topic.

I do like to seek clarification of what people mean though.. some say they are going out to "barbecue" some steaks.. and GOD forbid they would take a good rib eye, T-bone, or NY strip steak, or whatever and low/slow smoke cook it for 5 hours :( .... they mean they are going to "grill" it hot and fast.

I've never been in love with short ribs 'cause here (Seattle area) in our markets they are priced almost the same as a good steak, well not quite.. and I have no idea why... They never impressed me as a "cut" of meat that would be worth it.. but then again, I've never tried them either.

lutzzz - bbq here is something you eat not something you do - grilling is what you do. :chef:

Forgot to say, and I will go back and add it, that the reason I put this recipe here is because they can be cooked on the grill instead of in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom