IL - Arenzville ... home of the worlds BEST burgoo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
Arenzville, IL - Home of the World's Best Burgoo
My mothers family hails from Arenzville. My grandfather stirred the pots by hand, with an oar before they had electric paddles. I've loved it since I can remember, unfortunately I never lived there myself. With any luck, I'll be there to help chop and peel this year.
Has anyone here had Arenzville burgoo? Its big in Kentucky, and in Utica, Il. Ive had Utica burgoo, it just didn't compare.
Arenzville is worth the trip.

Burgoo, did someone say "burgoo?" I love it and ate it as a child. I grew up in western Kentucky, not to far from where I live now. Burgoo rocks. Soooo good.

It can be compared to the northern part of our country's dish that is called "booya." My spelling could be incorrect, but it's just as good, in its own way, as burgoo.

Wisconsin Recipe Soups
there is a Booyah recipe here. Also lots of other good Wisconsin recipes. Booyah is cooked like Burgoo, and many of the same ingredients. I'm guessing each Burgoomeister has their own blend of spices. Arenzville made theirs with local stuff, and I doubt very many spices, it always been a town with little disposable income.

Back
Top Bottom