Indian Curry with Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I started a thread a while ago about serving curry with pasta instead of rice or flat bread like naan. The responses went from “why not, if you want to?” to “you will be cursed through all eternity.” Nobody actually gave a good reason not to serve curry on pasta, like “the starch in the pasta would thicken the curry too much,” so I did eventually try it. It came out quite good, actually. Chicken mahkani on rotini pasta.

The thread, I just discovered, was closed, perhaps because it was quickly turning from a discussion to an argument. I would have posted this there if it were still open. Anyway, here’s a recipe I came across in Taste for Macrolyunpatata (a mouthful, eh?), an authentic Indian recipe made with (drumroll) macaroni! You’ll find it here; let me know what you think! And no, I haven’t made it. Yet.

So Im guessing you weren't cursed through all eternity ?? ;)
I've been, but probably more from my wife than anything I may have cooked :LOL:
You know, I may very well have been cursed! The last half of this year has seen all sorts of nasty happenings, from bad health, to financial troubles to broken down automobiles.

Nah, I don’t believe that dope!

Taste is subjective, and I'm one of those that says, if you want to try something, go for it! FI, if you want to eat unsweetened chocolate that's fine, but don't try to talk me into it! ;)

Despite all of the curries I make, and all of the pasta I have used, surprisingly, I have never combined the two. However, most of the curries that I make are legume based, and I don't serve on rice, as is customary. But I often do non-traditional things with them, and add grains to the curries, for added nutrition, and to thicken them - I actually like thick curries. And if the pasta would thicken it too much for you, add a little water! It's not that complicated.

I often serve some Szechwan dishes on pasta - usually spirals or small shells, which trap all those bits and pieces much better than long noodles. These are sort of like dry curries in consistency - not real saucy, but enough to wet the noodles - so pasta would probably be good with those.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom