Is anybody eating out these days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope. We cook our food, a few times a week, eat all week at home.

The last few weeks I've been putting together just-add-water, soups and stews and breakfasts. So if we need to travel, we can eat at the hotel, or camping, or for hiking. Visiting folks (rare if ever while covid is going on) with different food choices, we can carry our own and avoid complicating theirs and our lives. All we need is boiling water and 15 minutes and we are good to go.

We did eat out in 10/2019 and take out in 8/2018, otherwise, nope.

From what I have read, and this is all I have done for months, it seems, the largest points of spread are churches, bars and restaurants then private gatherings like weddings and parties. People think their friends and families are "safe" and they are not.

We have gotten takeout a few times from places that take more care, but probably only 2-3 times the first 6 months, and in the last couple of months maybe 3-4 times. I know people that get it all the time and have no worries about getting sick. And they haven't. But I am not in a place where infections are running rampant and hospitals are running out of room. I just think it's easier and less worrisome to cook at home, even if I miss a lot of my favorite food.

I am very strongly opinionated on this. With infections here in the U.S. at an all-time high (over 500,000 in the last week) I feel brave just getting takeout. We tried to get takeout from a local Mexican place and I walked in and nobody was wearing a mask but one server. Not customers, not the guy taking money, the guys in the kitchen. That place is on my avoid list!

I know of a woman whose daughter partied at bars and this woman go it from her and died. I am leery. But, to each his own. I am not sure I actually answered your question, though!

Since my first post we ate out back home again, dining inside at our well loved Irish pub. On our current trip, we ate in our hotel rooms the first two nights, then spent an evening with our niece at her home.

Here in FL, outdoor dining is the norm. We've eaten on socially distanced decks twice so far. We'll enjoy it while we're here, but we'll be back inside our own house for eating once we return.

What fun!
You and Himself have a great time and eat alot of seafood for me, will ya?
Oh, and Key Lime Pie and Stone Crab and oh, oh margaritas, the best I'd ever had in FL!!!

What fun!
You and Himself have a great time and eat alot of seafood for me, will ya?
Oh, and Key Lime Pie and Stone Crab and oh, oh margaritas, the best I'd ever had in FL!!!
Hmm, not sure if I can fulfill your wish list. We eat a lot of seafood all the time, so I have that covered. But we aren't all that impressed with stone crabs for the price they command, and I don't like margaritas. I did have a pina colada for you tonight, though. ;)

I walked up to a restaurant yesterday, they were in the process of taping a CLOSED sign in the window. One of the cooks had tested positive.

No, and it is not likely we will any time soon.

For the month of August, my county had 33 new positive cases, and that included the spike following Labor Day. In the past month we have 207 new cases. And ski season starts Thanksgiving Day. I've know two people who have died of Covid 19 in the past week in my town. We continue to hunker down.

Hmm, not sure if I can fulfill your wish list. We eat a lot of seafood all the time, so I have that covered. But we aren't all that impressed with stone crabs for the price they command, and I don't like margaritas. I did have a pina colada for you tonight, though. ;)
Margaritas are a southwest thing anyway. Do you like a mojito? [emoji263] [emoji484]

I hope the weather has cleared up! Where exactly are you?

Fort Myers Beach on the gulf coast, GG. Before we got married, Himself said he would like to relocate to FL when he retired. I'm not a fan of summer and didn't want to move where it's like summer most of the time, so he gets one week a year when he can be be retired in FL.

Mojitos are OK. I'm not big on mixed drinks. I'm more likely to drink wine.

Last edited:
Cool! My grandparents retired to Port Charlotte near there. We used to visit them for Christmas sometimes, especially after my parents bought a sailboat. We'd drive down in a van pulling the boat, spend a few days with the grandparents and then go sailing for several days. We had a great time. I remember going to the Thomas Edison Museum that had a giant banyan tree in the courtyard. Many great memories [emoji225] [emoji905] [emoji569]

The wife and I still eat out about once per week at the same place. A Mexican restaurant.
Everyone wears masks except when they are actually eating or drinking, including us.

Back
Top Bottom