Is cedar block really effective in repelling moth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
I really don't know if it's really effective or just a coincidence.

Few years ago there were a lot of moths home that I wasn't able to get rid of them. I almost found them every day.

Later on I bought some cheap cedar blocks and put them in the wardrobe and after a few months I rarely find any moths now.

Unlike mothball that usually has strong odor, I don't find any odor with these small rectangular blocks. I always have doubt if they are really effective.

Are they really effective or just a coincidence that the moth disappeared?

Hope chests were usually made of red cedar to protect the inside materials from moths. Yes, red cedar is very aromatic, and repels moths. It also smells pleasant.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

In addition to what I already posted, the moths themselves don't chew on clothing. There larvae do. The aromatic oils of true cedar, and Eastern Red Cedar are toxic to the moth eggs, and larvae. Hoever, as the oils naturally dissipate over time, they need to be renewed. Usially, you can purchase cedar oil, made from cedar sawdust, cedar blocks, and balls, and cedar coat hangers. Cefar doesn't protect agains carpet beetles, weevils, or many other wool and cotton loving insects.

Moth balls are highly effective, as they are pure naptha, a potent insecticide. The moth ball fumes are dangerous to pets, birds, and people, and can only be used in well ventilated areas. It's not worth exposure to protect that ugly sweater you so cherish.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

I remember reading that it wasn't actually the cedar. It was that hope chests and other similar furniture pieces that were lined with cedar were generally very good quality and fit tightly enough to keep the moth larvae out.

In addition to what I already posted, the moths themselves don't chew on clothing. There larvae do. The aromatic oils of true cedar, and Eastern Red Cedar are toxic to the moth eggs, and larvae. Hoever, as the oils naturally dissipate over time, they need to be renewed. Usially, you can purchase cedar oil, made from cedar sawdust, cedar blocks, and balls, and cedar coat hangers. Cefar doesn't protect agains carpet beetles, weevils, or many other wool and cotton loving insects.

Moth balls are highly effective, as they are pure naptha, a potent insecticide. The moth ball fumes are dangerous to pets, birds, and people, and can only be used in well ventilated areas. It's not worth exposure to protect that ugly sweater you so cherish.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

but the one I've got wasn't smelling very pleasant on day 1 of purchase. Its smell wasn't strong and I had to sniff it very closely to find smell. Cedar oil? Can I refresh them with sandpaper only?

Yes, they can be lightly sanded to tefresh them. But that doesn't work indefinitely. It's better to purcace fresher crdar, or crdar oil.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Northj

Back
Top Bottom