Is my cutting board dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i've tried bleach on the black areas but nothing removes it.

should i throw?

can you tell me what is this black areas?

Attachments

• 535bd8c0-45ce-4747-af5e-ab3ce714e6c2.jpeg
    535bd8c0-45ce-4747-af5e-ab3ce714e6c2.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 12
Assuming your cutting board is wooden, sand it down lightly as suggested above, dust it off thoroughly, and seal it with vegetable or olive oil, twice. Let the first seal soak in, then apply more oil, let it sit for a few hours, an remove the excess oil with paper towels. I've been using the same two wooden cutting boards for years, and they don't develop black areas.

Can you get a full strength liquid bleach? Place the cutting board (I'm assuming it's plastic) into your sink and cover it with a layer of paper towels. Then pour some bleach on it to thoroughly soak the paper towel. Let it sit for an hour to more. The paper towel will disintegrate. You can wash it down the drain. Rinse and dry the board.

Does it smell? Did you use a brush? Plastic boards develop tiny crevasses from knife cuts. If the bleach and a stiff scrubbing does not remove it - I would not worry about it.

If it really bothers you - throw it out and buy another.

Does it smell? Did you use a brush? Plastic boards develop tiny crevasses from knife cuts. If the bleach and a stiff scrubbing does not remove it - I would not worry about it.

If it really bothers you - throw it out and buy another.
Those crevices can harbor mold and bacteria. If he can't get it clean, I'd get rid of it.

Last edited:
Do you have any friends with a dishwasher, that you could take it over to, and try that? I'm guessing you don't have a DW, as that usually works for most stains, though sometimes it takes 2 times or more to totally get a stain out. If you are using a DW, and it's staying on there, I'd just use the other side - it's probably nothing to worry about, after being in a DW.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom