Is Space Exploration Worth It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael in FtW said:
I can only wonder if the families of the "alien astronauts" who crashed into the New Mexico desert near Roswell in 1947 thought their loved one's lives were worth the sacrifice to explore distant regions of space in search of answers to the origins of the universe, possibly their origins, and to determine if they were alone in the universe? :alien::alien::alien:
:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Probably not, but, if it hadn't happened, we wouldn't have {IMHO} one of the best alien based movies ever "Independence Day" LOL

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
A beer that has great taste AND is less filling!!! :rolleyes:

Heck Sushi, I can do that! You just need to come to Detroit after Easter so we can conduct a tasting study to find out what you're looking for!

(Since beers don't have freckles and red hair...)

John

RonJohn... can you make something thats like Killians Red? Then I can drink beer AND pretend I have a red head with freckles next to me too??! (the bubbles are the freckles :rolleyes: )

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
RonJohn... can you make something thats like Killians Red? Then I can drink beer AND pretend I have a red head with freckles next to me too??! (the bubbles are the freckles :rolleyes: )

Absolutely!

Just give me a reminder after Easter, and I'll get you few bottles of what I come up with. I just can't properly research the project until after ent is done...

John

Oh. Im as smart as I am attractive.
36.gif

I've got to put in my two cents...

I think exploration is important... for the previously given examples of Megellan, Columbus, etc. I realize that all of their travels resulted in some phenomenal discoveries or accomplishments, but how many hundreds of explorers had to fail before they could succeed?

I have no doubt that there are innumerable benfits to space exploratrion, but I also realize I may not reap the benefits in my lifetime. I think simply to discover any life form outside of our planet would be the greatest discovery the world has ever seen. Though life on our planet is incredibly diverse, no two species are really fundamentally different from each other. All existing lifeforms that we know of require at least carbon and oxygen to exist. What if we find a lifeform that requires, say, only nitrogen to exist? The potential benefits resulting from research on this lifeform could be endless. Furthermore, even if we only find organisms similar to ourselves, we may discover new microbes, which are very very very important to our existence, sorry DS.

I do agree with DS on the claim that companies should be the ones exploring space. This will happen in time. The reason it has not happened yet is because companies have no motivation to go exploring in space. There are still to many emerging markets in under-developed nations for them to focus on the zero emerging markets resulting from space exploration.

I also agree somewhat on the sea exploration claim. I really do wish more research could be done on the oceans and on ocean life b/c the oceans probably hold more resources than ever resource we have available to us on land. Since water happens to be so plentiful, I really think it would be practical for our scientists to research alternative energy sources resulting from the oceans or from water.

I think thats all... I look forward to everyone's replies!

College Cook...... I agree with you 95%!!!
Exploring space is important. Just not now. Maybe in 100 years. Why dont you think companies havent explored space yet? Well you answered that question. No REASON to. Still PLEANTY of things to explore here on earth!!

I strongly feel exploring that expends a LOT of money should be done in a logical AND economical way!!!!! And if the government is doing it, it should have TANGIBLE results that help its population. Not just put a probe out there "because of what we MIGHT find thats USEFUL". :excl:

Well I could look in the vaccum of space..... populated by rocks.
heze4.jpg

ORRRRRR.....
I could focus on the vast ocean that is teaming with life.
Which would YOU choose??
Did I mention the dead rock infested space is probably 50 times MORE expensive to check out?

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Well I could look in the vaccum of space..... populated by rocks.

ORRRRRR.....
I could focus on the vast ocean that is teaming with life.
Which would YOU choose??
Ahhh but sush we just found the possibility of vast oceans and the possibility of life.
-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Did I mention the dead rock infested space is probably 50 times MORE expensive to check out?
I am not so sure I can agree with this statement. We have figured out how to go into space, yet for all the money we have sunk (granted most of it is private money) we can not get to the seepest parts of the ocean yet.

OH! And how about this....... metorites are found on the earth every week? Analyze THOSE suckers. Plenty to go around! And the cost to find em? Couple of thousand for a nice rock I betcha.
Also, doing some research today. All I found with exploring space...... pictures. COOL pictures. But thats IT. Seriously. All these probes..... all they have is pictures and dirt samples.

Ahhh but sush we just found the possibility of vast oceans and the possibility of life.
I found the possibillity that we POSSIBLY found nothing thats worth over $100 bucks. :rolleyes:

I am not so sure I can agree with this statement. We have figured out how to go into space, yet for all the money we have sunk (granted most of it is private money) we can not get to the seepest parts of the ocean yet.

Well we have to spend money to explore it first.

What about all the links I sent you DS? Tons of good has come from the space program.

If tons of good came from DEVELOPING things to explore space.... then is it NOT logical that "tons" of good things will come from exploring the ocean??? AND.... for a LOT less.

Yes the possibility. You need to start somewhere DS. baby steps. When you learned to walk you didn't start by running a marathon.

I am not saying we should not be exploring the oceans. I am all for that. I think there is TONS to learn there too. I am saying there is not reason not to do both. It does not need to be one OR the other.

I do not agree that is will cost less to explore the ocean though. I think it can easily be just as expensive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom