ISO help with easy veggies in the microwave.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
for easy preparation [in the microwave].
which vegetables would you take out from the freezer and how would you prepare them?

yesterday i've made green beans with peas in the microwave with balsamic vinegar but it didn't came out tasty enough.

what is your way?

Out of the freezer? For me, that would be corn. I just nuke it with a knob of butter.
Not from the freezer: I have nuked peeled asparagus and that worked okay. I tend to use asparagus cold in a salad. It's usually mostly asparagus in the salad.

i will try frozen corn....

tnx

you know. now we have a lot of imported frozen vegetables here because they found snake skin in some green beans and the media made people not willing to buy it.....

it is a chinese owned company

Last edited:
I find that frozen vegies have a tendency to lack flavour.
Seasoning is, to my way of thinking, extremely important. Whether it be simple salt and pepper, soy sauce sprinkle, or something more complicated. Gravy works well too. But it almost always needs something.

my dietition told me to reduce butter so i will go with oil..

and i will season a bit.....

anymore tips????

fresh or frozen corn is really good, one of our favorites to make in the microwave.
Fresh-microwave about 4 minutes in the husk.
We make a garlic and lemon w/water and cornstarch mixture, heated on the stove until thickened, then brush it on the corn. (we keep this thickened mixture in the fridge for future corn during corn season) Sprinkle with chili powder or your choice of flavor. I like black pepper on corn.

Microwaving veggies is better than boiling because it doesn't wash away the nutrition. When we have a veggie brown basmati rice, we add some raw broccoli trees and microwave it around 5 minutes for a bowl, the trees are half done and the rice is hot.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes do very well in the microwave. Put a plate under the sweet potatoes in case they weep syrupy liquid. 8 potatoes or 4 large sweet potatoes usually cook in about 22 minutes in my microwave. If I'm in a hurry with the sweet potatoes, I put them hot into a sink of cold water to cool them off. Then the skin comes off 1/2 by itself, and I can pull the rest off with a knife, drain the sweet potatoes-the outside is wet. We keep the resulting cooked potatoes in the fridge for assembling meals.
I like the sweet potatoes with greens and veggie rice and the potatoes diced with an oil free gravy, or a little vinegar on them.

I imagine you can get Middle Eastern seasoning blends like za'atar and Lebanese 7-Spice Seasoning. I would mix one of those with the oil, then toss the vegetables with it before microwaving.

Do you have frozen vegetable blends in Israel? That would make it easy to prepare a variety of veggies at once.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom