ISO: Swiss Steak Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Folks, you seemed to be the most well informed! Please share those swiss steak recipes cause I am tired of the store bought roast in the bag version... even tho it is pretty good!!!!

Use a sirloin or round steak. Spray a baking dish, put in meat, quartered potatoes, whole baby carrots, and a can of drained mushrooms. You may add other vegies at your discretion. I like a little sliced onion sometimes. Salt and pepper everything, sprinkle with about 2 tbls flour, and pour a small can of tomato sauce over the top. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Check to see how things arre cooking, move them around a little, cover and cook for another 15 minutes or so.
Cooking time depends on how much you have in the dish.

It will melt in your mouth.

Last edited:
Cut into serving sized pieces, pat dry. Dip in seasoned flour(paprika, pepper, salt, onion powder)and fry in hot oil only till brown on each side. Plate and keep warm.
Quarter medium sized peeled onions, set aside.
Quarter garlic dill pickles and plate.

Take one browned piece of steak and wrap it around 1 quarter of pickle and 1 quater of onion secure with a toothpick. Repeat until all are wrapped.

Place into a pressure cooker, stacking is fine. And cook for 25-35 minutes. Remove to a warm plate and pour 1-5 ounce can of tomato sauce and 1-15 ounce can of beef broth and some grated horseradish(to taste)into the cooker, heat to boiling. Cook down to 1/2 and place the steak back into the sauce. Warm thru and serve with mashed potato, seasoned peas, and apple pie ala mode for dessert.

Is there something in place of a pressure cooker that can be used? It sounds great! I am impressed with the variety of things that can be done with swiss steak.

I am sure you could "steam" them in an electric frying pan on very low until tender. Or you could lay them in a single line and bake in a slow oven. Even a crockpot or slow cooker would work, they would just suffer the nice crust, but who would know but you! : )
Just cook the sauce down seperately and add to the finished plate.

Here's my version

1 to 1 -1/2 pound round steak cut into serving size pieces
1 large onion cut into quarters
1 green bell pepper cut into large quarters
3 stalks celery
1 - 14 -1/2 oz can of whole tomatoes (you could use stewed tomatoes)
1 - 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 - can beef consomme'
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Cut steak into serving size pieces, pound for tenderness (unless you buy pre-tenderized meat and then I still pound), salt and pepper the steak. Then flour both sides and brown meat in a small amount of oil (I use just a small amount of oil so I don't even drain it off when I add the veggies), add all other ingredients, cover and bake in 325 degree oven for approximately
1 -1/2 to 2 hours. We have enjoyed it for years.

This is from Mary, Phils' wife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom