It's tomato time! Wednesday, 7-12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
The basil was growing incredibly well, and the garlic has dried almost enough - I was just waiting for the tomatoes to start ripening enough, to start making this.

I had more than enough tomatoes to dice up 2 lbs of tomatoes, to make that pasta dish I make every year, with a bunch of basil, some minced garlic, and some EVOO, and this is mixed with the hot pasta, and this is the only cooking the tomatoes get in this. I also mix some whole grain and some lentils, in place of some of the pasta, to add some nutrients. Other batches I will add other things to, for flavor variations, but the first time is always the simple batch.
3 kinds of basil, plus the garlic and EVOO, before adding the tomatoes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tomatoes mixed in with the other ingredients, after draining some of the clear juice off. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

4 oz Kamut, soaked, then cooked with 6 oz of channa dal in the Instant Pot, then mixed with 6 oz ditalini, after cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The finished dish, with the drained pasta, Kamut, and channa dal stirred into it, the residual heat the only cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The title made me think of a facebook video from the Jacques Pépin foundation where Chef Pépin made tomato salt.

The flavored salt was made from tomato skins, dried in the microwave, and kosher salt that had been combined using a small spice/coffee grinder.

I thought it was interesting but I’m not sure that I would ever have a need or use for tomato flavored salt.

Last night I had a paper thin pork chop with barbecue sauce and the last of the marinated English cucumber coins.

FYI -
Is the fat in Wagyu beef good for you?
the following is from "Wagyu Shop"....

Wagyu beef is extremely rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and contains all of the essential amino acids, including omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Essential fatty acids such as these are believed to lower risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, Alzheimer's and other conditions.

The title made me think of a facebook video from the Jacques Pépin foundation where Chef Pépin made tomato salt.

The flavored salt was made from tomato skins, dried in the microwave, and kosher salt that had been combined using a small spice/coffee grinder.

I thought it was interesting but I’m not sure that I would ever have a need or use for tomato flavored salt.
Tomatoes have a lot of umami flavor, so tomato salt would add a hit of that to whatever you're making.

Tomato's and peppers. I start my seeds late so I have stuff when supplies are dwindling. I always make so much work for myself. I should say I make more work for my wife. She does the harvesting most of the time. Tomato's and peppers will provide around mid-August.
We don't can or freeze anything. (To much work and we have learned these things the hard way). I give away what we cannot use at the bar I play pool at. It's a big hit. My wife sends me along with a stack of paper lunch bags so the bar patrons have something to put the vegetables in.

Roll Bones, I envy you! All our neighbors have gardens, and no one can give away tomatoes at this time of year. I've made marinara sauce and frozen it until we have a full year's supply. Now I'm simply freezing tomatoes to use later.
Our bell peppers don't do much until late August, when everyone else's peppers produce like mad and you can't give them away.
If the local food pantry stops accepting fresh garden produce, I'll have to resort to dropping off bags of vegetables on strangers' doorsteps!

If the local food pantry stops accepting fresh garden produce, I'll have to resort to dropping off bags of vegetables on strangers' doorsteps!
When we had an outside garden, we too had a big excess. We took box loads to the local American Legion. Maybe you have a Veteran's organization in your town?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom