Jewish Rye Bread-Yum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
ok,i had never eaten it before,got it from a local bakery the other day,and now i'm totally hooked on it,its just delicious,grilled with lots of butter on one side,ummm...its addictive....

i think seeds r the best part,swiss cheese,ummmm,will try that

Good rye bread (seeds are a must IMO) is one of my greatest food pleasures! There is a serious difference between mass produced rye bread that you get in the supermarket and rye from a good baker. I guess you could say that about any type of bread of course. If you have only had the mass produced stuff then seek out some "real" rye bread from a baker if possible. Go to a deli or bread baker in NY. We were actually just in Florida and went to a deli there. This deli is known for their rye bread. The have signs like "Home of the famous rye" etc. When you sit down they bring you a hot loaf. I was skeptical at first because I have had some great rye in my time, but my grandparents assured me it was even better than the stuff they used to get in NY. They were right. The bread was so soft and melted in your mouth. the crust was perfect. It was heaven!

Don't get me wrong. I love the mass produced kind too. it makes some of the best toast you will ever taste. Toast it to a dark golden brown and load on the butter. MMMMMM

In a word -- reuben, reuben, reuben. Dunk it in some hot matza ball soup. Mmmmm. :)

Sarah,
Rye is one of my favorite breads, I prefer dark breads to white any time. I like to take rye bread, butter one side then top with somr thin sliced ham and swiss, some may and mustard on the other side butter lettuce and tomato and a thin slice of onion and then I use my paninni press and make a hot sandwich, I of course have a big dill pickle with it:LOL: I even will eat rye with butter and nothing else, toasted is great... Now I guess it's time to fire up the oven and make some...

kadesma:LOL:

The BEST rye bread (and I have probably had rye bread from 300 sources at this point in my life) is at a Bakery in Ellenville NY by the Name of Cohen's Bakery. Try their Pumpernickle Rye. The best I have ever had.

I will say this: the best way to experiance rye bread is with corned beef stacked high, not to lean, with a good shmear of a dark brown deli mustard.

I love a good ruben (and I have had them at the orginal Ruben's Deli in NYC) but it is not the best way to taste a good rye.

Michael_Schaap said:
...Gotta find me some health conscious chopped liver:)

Good luck to you, pal. If you find some call me before you do anything else.

Organ meat, eggs and chicken fat - a cholesterol trifecta! :ohmy: :ohmy:

Michael_Schaap said:
Yeah I know... sucks huh:)

I keep in mind that my Doc told me cholesterol problems are 80% heredity and only 20% from the food I eat. So once in a while, I indulge myself.

There are some fake chopped liver products on the market. I think they are vegetarian chopped liver. Might be made with beans or something like that. It tasted exactly like chopped liver (well it does to me at least). I can't stand the stuff personally, but the rest of my family loves it and says it tastes just like the real thing.

I usually get fat free, cholesterol free, sodium free chicken livers. It's really not that hard to find them. All you have to do is buy the whole chicken that comes with the little neck and liver pacage inside and it's free, you only pay for chicken I mean and everything else is free.:mrgreen:

GB, it doesn't taste like real thing at all, you are kidding your self. Come to my house I'll make real cgoped liver, you'll see the difference right away.

I love ham and swiss cheese on rye with mustard and a good kosher dill pickle.
I also make a spread with braunsweiger, cream cheese and sliced olives that is delicious with rye bread.

GB said:
Good rye bread (seeds are a must IMO) is one of my greatest food pleasures! There is a serious difference between mass produced rye bread that you get in the supermarket and rye from a good baker. I guess you could say that about any type of bread of course. If you have only had the mass produced stuff then seek out some "real" rye bread from a baker if possible. Go to a deli or bread baker in NY. We were actually just in Florida and went to a deli there. This deli is known for their rye bread. The have signs like "Home of the famous rye" etc. When you sit down they bring you a hot loaf. I was skeptical at first because I have had some great rye in my time, but my grandparents assured me it was even better than the stuff they used to get in NY. They were right. The bread was so soft and melted in your mouth. the crust was perfect. It was heaven!

Don't get me wrong. I love the mass produced kind too. it makes some of the best toast you will ever taste. Toast it to a dark golden brown and load on the butter. MMMMMM

GB! i got that bread form a jewish bakery that is just around the corner from where i live,well i havent tasted other rye breads,but i can tell u that it was delicious,but ofcourse i cant compare unless i have some from other bakeries too...

IMHO the secret to a good Jewish Rye (or any Rye realy) is a good solid thick crust.

Oh... Andy... Ah.... don't know man. I just walked out of a hospital from a heart operation. There was a whole flu of doctors who just told me your numbers are reversed. Going to cardiac rehab in about 3 weeks so I'll have more then though. So far they have told me that cardiac problems are generally life style problems. I am reading a great book called "Don't eat your heart out" if you are interested:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom