Juicer vs blender & sieve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
What mechanically makes a juicer better for getting juice out versus using a blender and sieve? I blenderized a pineapple and got fairly little juice out of it.

Not sure if one is really better than the other.

I’ll never know for sure because I don’t use enough homemade juice to bother with a juicer.

Truthfully I would probably buy fruit juice unless I had a free or low cost source of fruit.

How much juice did you get from your pineapple?

Did you add water to help the blender begin the process of liquifying the pulp?

From what I’ve seen you should end up with 3-4 cups of juice if you start with a ripe pineapple and add a cup of water to the blender.

Take a look at a few YouTube videos for a crash course in making pineapple juice with a blender.

I ditto Aunt Bea, certain drier fruits and vegetables need a booster start in a blender.
But vegetables on the other hand, if you are looking for vegie juice - you will pretty much have to go with a juicer. Unless you are cooking them first. IMHO

Many juicers remove more of the vegetable/fruit than other brands do, and some only get maybe 50%. I don't want to throw all that out! And I learned early on, after getting my Vitamix, almost nothing is left to get strained out, and a lot of other high speed blenders do the same. FI, when tomatoes are blended up, I get so little strained out that I don't even bother - the seeds and skin are just gone. And I always grind up pineapples, including the hard core, for making smoothies - no fiber noticeable, but that is the best part of the juice for us, so why throw it away?

Many juicers remove more of the vegetable/fruit than other brands do, and some only get maybe 50%. I don't want to throw all that out! And I learned early on, after getting my Vitamix, almost nothing is left to get strained out, and a lot of other high speed blenders do the same. FI, when tomatoes are blended up, I get so little strained out that I don't even bother - the seeds and skin are just gone. And I always grind up pineapples, including the hard core, for making smoothies - no fiber noticeable, but that is the best part of the juice for us, so why throw it away?
I was interested in blending pineapple because I don't think store bought juices contain the core which I think contains the most bromelain which I want more of.

@Cooking4Fun here's a primer on fruit juices. Some of what medical studies say help and some that don't. https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/fruit-juice/

I'm more of a whole plant person, using the whole fruit, sometimes peeling it, or maybe not, depending on the fruit and the condition of it. I use my blender and food processor to get what I want out of it. Fiber is very important, so I tend to keep it. I do use orange juice concentrate though, which isn't from the whole plant and is devoid of fiber, which is not my usual way of cooking. I do love the strong tart taste. The same could be said of lemon juice.

Thanks Kathleen, sinusitis is a new one for me. I know it does several things, was just wondering what specifically Cooking4Fun was looking for.

I make a carrot slaw with shredded carrots and apples and chunks of pineapple. I eat this with my fermented 9 grain flakes for breakfast, lately, everyday. It's good to have variety.

Cooking4Fun - OK! Well I hope that study proves to be true. I don't have but a friend does and I sympathize. I'll tell her to try looking it up. Thanks.

What mechanically makes a juicer better for getting juice out versus using a blender and sieve? I blenderized a pineapple and got fairly little juice out of it.
A juicer is better at extracting juice because it separates the liquid from the pulp more effectively, while blending with a sieve may leave more pulp behind

Blending and then using a sieve would usually mean that you have to add water or other liquid to get the stuff to move around in your blender. Now your juice will be diluted.

Having owned both a blender and a juicer, I honestly feel if you want just juice with no pulp - go with the juicer.

If the extra work of blender and sieve is no problem, go with it.

Not saying and don't know which is healthier, but it sort of seems to me that a lot of nutrients are lost in the pulp.

It ultimately depends on what/why you are doing it/ aiming for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom