KA 7 Quart 'Commercial' Model- Progress Report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aha, that is the trick. I wanted the bigger KA so I can make bread. And though you are correct I would get more use on dairy side except this one thing, bread. Since I do not have parve oven (for those who do not know "parve" means natural, neither meat nor dairy) I have to choose one. (Or maybe I should just buy a parve oven;)). Sounds crazy but it is a hard decision. I do lean toward dairy, especially because of the pasta and ravioli attachments I got. But, need to make that final decision and take all the parts to mikvah, before I can start using it. In all the truth it is time that I do not have. To even unpack the darn thing.
Can't you use separate attachments for the parve bread and dairy?

Can't you use separate attachments for the parve bread and dairy?
So you would have to have two KAs with the same attachments (one for the meat side, the other for the dairy) of your kitchen? How is it that an oven can be neutral? If that is s/thing you don't want to answer, that is fine. I'm curious. I had friends who kept a kosher kitchen. I don't remember separate appliances, but then, I wasn't usually in the kitchen, I was at the table enjoying the wonderful companionship and food.

Last edited:
So you would have to have two KAs with the same attachments (one for the meat side, the other for the dairy) of your kitchen? How is it that an oven can be neutral? If that is s/thing you don't want to answer, that is fine. I'm curious. I had friends who kept a kosher kitchen. I don't remember separate appliances, but then, I wasn't usually in the kitchen, I was at the table enjoying the wonderful companionship and food.
I was suggesting separate attachments and bowls for one KA. Seems Charlie also has problems with the oven.
It appears the oven would be neutral it it were not used for dairy or meat.

Last edited:

I have no problem answering your question, just hope people do not get upset with the off topic post. The laws of kashrut are very complicated, to say the list. On the top of it there are people with different level of observance and commitment. Which only makes things even more complicated.
To answer your question in shot: For oven to be neutral no dairy or meat product can be cooked in that oven. But you can cook fish for example or bake breads, cakes. The breads I bake, for example, do not have either of those products.
As far as the KA, I am wondering myself if I could have just one machine, but have the same attachments on the different sides. I think this would be the case where I should call a competent rabbi (there are rabbis who are specifically trained to know all the intricacies of possible and impossible kashrut questions) and ask that question, it may solve my problem.

Charlie, you wrote that you do not have a pareve oven. Do you have two ovens? If not, is your oven meat or dairy? Wouldn't it be okay to put pareve bread dough into a meat or dairy oven? I mean, wouldn't the oven still be fine, but the bread would no longer be pareve?

Charlie, you wrote that you do not have a pareve oven. Do you have two ovens? If not, is your oven meat or dairy? Wouldn't it be okay to put pareve bread dough into a meat or dairy oven? I mean, wouldn't the oven still be fine, but the bread would no longer be pareve?
+ 1
But makes life simpler (e.g. less bread knives) if bread is parve.

Last edited:
taxlady said:

I do have two ovens. Makes my life so much easier in one way, more choices, as far as cooking going, but of course more cleaning too. Oh yeah , I do have two sinks also. Yes you can bake parve bread in either of the ovens, but they do become either dairy or meat then.

I do have two ovens. Makes my life so much easier in one way, more choices, as far as cooking going, but of course more cleaning too. Oh yeah , I do have two sinks also. Yes you can bake parve bread in either of the ovens, but they do become either dairy or meat then.
Okay, logic works. :)

KA's RVSA instructions recommend operation at speed #4 and to stiffen cheeses prior to grating by partial freezing.
I wanted finely grated Locatelli Pecorino for use in my cheese shaker dispensers / applicators. Due to concerns about condensation from high humidity, I brought the cheese to room temperature before unwrapping and rind trimming. To achieve the desired fine particle size and avoid coarser particles which jam my cheese shakers, I had to slowly feed the cheese through the rotary grater. As a result, it took 1/2 hour to grate 1 pound of cheese. The 1/2 hour of operation raised the rear end of the KA motor housing's temperature to about 125*F.

Your instructions say to partial freezing. So why did you grind it at room temperature? Wouldn't it have gone faster if the cheese was colder? :angel:

Charlie, I worked for a cabinet building company. The had a client that was remodeling their kitchen(s). They were Orthodox Jews. Totally Orthodox. It made for a very difficult job. They had a Rabbi on hand during the whole process. Our installers had to do one kitchen first, and come back the next day to do the other one. They were not allowed to go back and forth between kitchens. When it came time for the punch list and walkthrough, each kitchen was done on a different day, along with the final fixes. We had to hire a carpenter that was an orthodox Jew to work with our men. Made for an interesting job and very instructional into the Jewish religion. Our carpenters attended the 'blessing'' of each kitchen by the Rabbi. :angel:

Watching my wife feed our poolish this morning, adding 6 ounces of water and 8 ounces of flour to a cold stiff poolish, leads me to conclude that the KA dough hook can do it better.
BTW, her 2 cups of flour scaled out at 10 ounces!

That is exactly what it should be! I use the 5 oz. Standard when measuring flour. Looks like she knows what she is doing!

Back
Top Bottom