Keys bracing for IKE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) Alot of the ones that have decided to ride out this monster have been told to magic marker their names and social security numbers on their arms as they could very well perish in this storm because when it hits there will be no rescues for them.
That is so scary. I don't understand why people would "ride it out" rather than go to safety. What are they staying for. I mean, I'm totally fascinated by hurricanes, but if they told me to magic marker/sharpie my info on my body, I'd bloody heck get out of there.

That is so scary. I don't understand why people would "ride it out" rather than go to safety. What are they staying for. I mean, I'm totally fascinated by hurricanes, but if they told me to magic marker/sharpie my info on my body, I'd bloody heck get out of there.

:) Some after being told that did decide to get the heck out of there. I think this is a serious storm not the strongest but for sure a big one that covers many miles.

Even if you do make it through the storm, you have to deal with days and days of no electricity (ie, no AC) and no safe water. It's just not fun.

And there are a LOt of them that didn't leave and now have to wait it out because the Coast Guard couldn't get to them. They were able to get a bunch, but, not all.
There is also a freighter out there with 22 people that have to wait it out that are in the direct path of Ike. Their engines went down and by the time the Coast Guard got to them, the winds were too high and they were unable to land on the ship or get them off. They are hoping that the winds will carry them in enough to drop anchor. I pray for them all!!
Oh yes, this tanker situation just breaks my heart. I can only imagine what the families of those 22 people on board must be feeling right now. It must be agonizing to know that no one can rescue them until after the storm passes. And the worst isn't even here yet. I'll be thinking of them tonight.

I'm so sad to hear that some people couldn't evacuate. Not everyone has the funds to do it. My prayers go out to all DC members in the Houston/Galveston area and all residents there. I have an aunt and 7 cousins living there but haven't heard from them yet. DH's best friend and his family live there too. We will try calling them again in a bit.

My mom called from Houston and she just lost power in her neighborhood. We didn't expect it to happen so soon since it hasn't really hit yet. The phone lines are still working and she has a cell phone if those go down. She said she is getting a little rain and gusts of wind right now. I think it's going to be a long night.

The tanker did make it through the storm, and all 22 to aboard have been rescued.
I have a friend who lives in Riverside, Tx, about 100 miles north of Houston. The eye is headed right for them, but he lives on high ground, and has plenty of supplies.

According to the latest info (just now on TV) there are about 4.5 million people without electricity from Galveston to Houston (that might be a FUBAR - other reports just before that said 1.5 million). The center of the eye is now centered over Galveston Island.

What we can expect in the DFW area depends on the tracking in the next 2-6 hours.

It's going to be a long night watching ....

I think they mean 1.5 million residences which is approximately 4.5 million people are without power. The rains and wind are still hitting Houston but not as strong as earlier. My mom lost her fence in the storm and still is without power but she her land line phone is still working. The fence is a biggie because she has 2 dogs that are very large and strong and I don't think she can walk them on a leash. I'll be going there tomorrow or as soon as the roads are OK to get her.

The power company is saying it will be 2+ weeks before power is restored. Mom is on oxygen 24/7 and her tank will run out before then. She has 2 oxygen concentrators that she uses most of the time but they run on electricity so they aren't functional right now. Still, it could have been much worse and I'm grateful she's OK.

I think they mean 1.5 million residences which is approximately 4.5 million people are without power. The rains and wind are still hitting Houston but not as strong as earlier. My mom lost her fence in the storm and still is without power but she her land line phone is still working. The fence is a biggie because she has 2 dogs that are very large and strong and I don't think she can walk them on a leash. I'll be going there tomorrow or as soon as the roads are OK to get her.

The power company is saying it will be 2+ weeks before power is restored. Mom is on oxygen 24/7 and her tank will run out before then. She has 2 oxygen concentrators that she uses most of the time but they run on electricity so they aren't functional right now. Still, it could have been much worse and I'm grateful she's OK.
What part of Houston does she live at? I will be praying for your mom dear. The sooner you're able to get to her, the better. Please keep us posted and be very careful while you're there. Hugs,

Thanks, ya'll. I'm in San Antonio, about 200 miles from Houston. Mom is in southwest Houston between the Medical Center and Missouri City.

The first reports and video from Galveston/Houston are coming in now and amazingly, things don't look as bad as they could have been. I'm praying they don't have any deaths in Galveston when they are able to go back in and check on folks.

FM, I will pray that all goes well with mom. I'm sure that she would on a priority list if you call the fire dept in her area and let them know when she is on her last tank.

I'll be going there tomorrow or as soon as the roads are OK to get her.

F'sM. I don't think you'll be going there tomorrow. Flooding seems to be the major concern right now. I stayed with my folks during Wilma, and it took them 5 days to get power back. Where I lived - 9 miles away, I lost nothing, not power, or phones or water. But my mom would not leave home. And she, like your mother, was on oxygen powered by electricity. They had a small generator just for that - and her tea kettle. But they would not leave. And believed til it hit, they would be safe. It had nothing to do with finances, but more to do with, well, we've never had a bad problem before.
People just don't realize; can't fathom, that nature can be this powerful, never having seen it before.
Now mom's not alive, and dad has the whole house wired for backup, in the ground generator fueled by propane, as he STILL never plans on leaving. And I don't plan to leave him alone. NEVER. Even seeing what hurricanes can do.
Call it what you will, but I just can't.
So to all of you, my prayers, no judgement, and stay in touch as long as you can, and let us know what we can do to help you.

Thanks quicksilver. I think you're right about not getting into Houston tomorrow. The freeways are clogged with emergency help and vehicles heading in right now. I'm not sure if they are even allowing other vehicles at this point.

My mom didn't want to leave because she has 2 dogs and 9 cats, which won't fit in her little car even if she could manage to get them all in there. We might have been able to go and get her if there had been enough warning that the storm was going to hit there. It was originally looking like it would hit Corpus Christi head-on and they started mandatory evacuations Wednesday and Thursday. I was down in Corpus boarding up my house til Thursday evening. Then it turned and a whole new bunch of people were evacuating. Houston ordered a mandatory evacuation for certain flood-prone zip codes and mobile homes, but told everyone else not to leave because the freeways and shelters couldn't handle that many people. Then she was determined not to leave because she was afraid to get stuck on the road and run out of oxygen.

Actually, the way your dad has the house set up is a very good idea. A generator would be great right about now and I'm thinking about getting one for the future. Hopefully she will have moved here with me by the next hurricane season....

Back
Top Bottom