Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coffee: So, having grown up with Irish, tea-drinking parents in the UK, I had never tasted coffee at all until my next door neighbour gave me a cup of instant. (I was 16) And I liked it! (Never really liked tea to be honest.) Nowadays, I cannot even consider drinking instant coffee! I would (and do) prefer a glass of water if instant is the only option available. I use a small cafetiere (french press) at home and luckily, we have a coffee machine at work that grinds the beans for each cup.

Silicone covers: These are pretty good! I started using them about a year ago (trying to reduce cling film use). You need the sides of any dishes to be dry, and to pick the right size, but once you get the hang of getting them on, they really do work well. My cling film use has dropped to almost nothing.

Some time back, DH bought me this half-size Pullman pan after seeing me reading an article in Cooks Illustrated about Japanese shokupan bread. Yesterday I finally made it (below left). It didn't rise quite enough to fill the pan, but it's tasty. I put half in the Pullman pan and half in a regular loaf pan.

20240422_123714.jpg

20240421_212649.jpg

Coffee: So, having grown up with Irish, tea-drinking parents in the UK, I had never tasted coffee at all until my next door neighbour gave me a cup of instant. (I was 16) And I liked it! (Never really liked tea to be honest.) Nowadays, I cannot even consider drinking instant coffee! I would (and do) prefer a glass of water if instant is the only option available. I use a small cafetiere (french press) at home and luckily, we have a coffee machine at work that grinds the beans for each cup.
I think the best cup of coffee I had in England was on the train platform in Nottingham.

I've always read that coffee is an acquired taste. I believe it's true. I don't believe it is something you pick up, take a big swallow and say - of WOW this is great! give me more!

As I remember back to the late 50's and into the 60's, other than cafe's etc. around us it was mostly instant. Brewing coffee was saved for the weekends and/or guests. Usually there was too much going on after supper to bother with brewing a pot.

When I first started drinking coffee, I could not abide brewed, only drank instant. Then slowly over the years, I suddenly discovered that I really only liked brewed! and now just recently I have found that I rather like both.

go figure....
It's fascinating how our tastes and preferences evolve over time! Your experience with coffee is quite common, as people often develop a taste for more complex flavors as they grow accustomed to a particular beverage. Instant coffee can be a good introduction, but brewed coffee typically offers a richer and more nuanced flavor profile.

It's great that you've come to enjoy both instant and brewed coffee. Taste is subjective, and exploring different flavors and preparation methods can lead to delightful discoveries. Whether you're in the mood for a quick cup of instant or a more indulgent brewed coffee, both can provide a satisfying experience. Enjoy your coffee journey and the variety it brings!

Back
Top Bottom