Lavender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've only know this herb to be used as an aromatic. Google it, you may find some recipes.

I remember a long time ago (circa 1969) having a pork roast/tenderloin with lavender and sage sauce (or something like that) at a very upscale restaurant in Dallas.

Here are some other ideas from a Google search for Lavender Recipes.

I just made lavender vanilla creme brulee--and have some vanilla beans and lavender in some sugar. It is also used in herbes de Provence and hence in marinades and stews that use that combo.

Lavender cakes or cup cakes with lavender icing (delicious, lovely serve as part of a bouquet of cupcakes, I do rose and violet too), lavender infused honey, we have a lavendar and blueberry jam (although this one is bought, I did not make it!) anything creamy can have a lavendar infusion. I also make a very succesful chicken salad with lavendar. I love cooking with flowers, I do it quite a bit.

Lavender is one of the components of a true "Herbs de Provence" mixture, & is fabulous rubbed over lamb or chicken before roasting.

I've also used it to flavor sugar for baking, have used the flowers for an edible baked goods garnish, & have also enjoyed it steeped along with regular tea (both hot & iced) for a sweet floral note.

Oh yes, you can have as tea, I forgot that! The colour is amazing, and the smell, but the flavour as an infusion less so, I have not tried it with regular tea, I'll try that thanks Breezy!

yes! as you read above in herbs de provence, mixed with sage, or by itself. It is a distictive scent and a little goes a long way...but it is wonderful : with asparagus, with poultry, with lamb, pork, citrus and lavendar salad dressing, in a creme brulee, etc.

You can also make a Lavender Martini

Make a lavender tea and mix with some simple syrup, vanilla vodka, fresh lemon juice - garnish with a few lavender buds.

There are "culinary" lavender flowers - just make sure they are branded as such.

Back
Top Bottom