Living with dogs (sigh)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Aghh, the things they do.
As if my youngest one's "coming of age" isn't enough to drive me batty, with him bullying my two girls around, always pushing them around with his front paws and basically heckling them.....
And my middle girl deciding to be an "underfoot" dog. Which basically means I can't move a step without scanning the floor in front of me and behind me.... and I'm lucky to have a place to step out of the tub, get dressed, then work my way back to the sink to shave without saying skidaddle...
Now my oldest has gone quirky on me.

I've got a linoleum kitchen. I've got a carpeted living room. I have a room between them that used to have an area rug in it, until two days ago. Now it is simply tile. And you know what? It's driving her batty. She doesn't like it one bit. And it's the same tile she used to walk across for five feet to get from the living room to the area rug that is no longer there, so it's not like she has a problem with slippery surfaces, she just doesn't like "the look" of the room now :wacko:
The other night I had to go downstairs and drag her across the floor at 2:00 AM to go up to bed, because she woke me up crying from the living room. Yesterday was slightly better. She crossed it twice on her own, once to go into the living room, where she thought I would be heading. I wasn't in right away and she started whining, afraid to come back out to the room I was in. And once to come upstairs on her own during the night. I figured I would leave her down there when I went to bed, since she had crossed it earlier in the day, and she did come up at some point... she woke me up with her snoring at 2 AM instead :rolleyes:

So this morning I am watching a little TV and I thought I heard my youngest "helping" the cat find his way from the basement to the bedroom, or vice-versa. He likes to do that and I heard that mad dash of feet and nails on a tile floor. Nope, it was my oldest making a mad dash across that room to get into the safety of the living room where I was. Later on in the day she crossed that room just fine. As I was fixing lunch I wondered where she was and she was lying in the living room like nothing. And now she is having a problem with it again. It seems to be worse going in one direction over the other. And feeding time is not enough to motivate her if she is on the wrong side of the room. And she loves to eat (wonder where she got that from :rolleyes:)

So I'm going to give her another 24 hours to overcome whatever is whigging her out, and then it's duct tape her to the middle of the floor and.... :LOL: just kidding, just kidding.... :angel:
If she doesn't snap out of this sometime tomorrow I'm going to have to do a little OB with her in that room until she is paying more attention to me than the floor.

This is so weird. Nothing has ever bothered her before and 7 or 8 years ago in my old house, I even replaced carpeting in the kitchen with Pergo. Never phased her. I guess both her and I don't like change as we get older.

regarding change, goats are worse. They abhor change of any kind. They thrive on routine. If I am "late" to the barn in the am, they can find the darndest ways to be uncooperative.

Could it be something about how the light shines on the floor at particular times?

I don't think it's exactly the light, but that might have something to do with it. It doesn't seem to make a difference which drapes are open/closed or which lights are on, plus I haven't put any mop & glow down where the rug used to be, so that area is actually less shiny than the tile around it that she used to walk on. In all honesty I think it's just "different" to her.
And I know I could grab a rug to help break the floor up for her, but I want her to work through this on her own, if possible first.

She's really going to love it when I redo the porch this winter and rip out that carpeting (lol). That where I feed them.

Hoover? No Kirby?! (lol)

And I did have a restoration car AND a wife. At the same time for a while there (LOLOLOL).

Fred, another thought...perhaps there's something about the texture or temperature of the tile on her paws that bothers her.

Yep, pets sure can get quirky. Right now I'm about to throw Miss Augie out the window. She's decided to be the most annoying kitty in the world today. She'd like nothing better at the moment than to be surgically attached anywhere on my body. Since that's not possible, she's plastering herself against me any place she can find, regardless of where I happen to be.

Anyone want a long-haired, fluffy lavender-grey and white kitty?:wacko:

.... and my kids wonder why we're not running out to get the german shepard we want.........
Pacanis I'll trade you!!!
:)

Nope, Katie. She's been walking on part of the surrounding area, including the path 5 ft wide (or so) inside my front door, for years. Same floor, same tile, same basement underneath, so same temp. I'm afraid she's just being goofy and getting old like me. She's crossed it a few times tonight, but if it still didn't bother her, she would be with me right now... the other two are. I wish there was someway I could get inside of dogs' heads without actually getting inside their heads.

No matter what , you gotta love 'em.
Where else do you find that love and silliness. You know you love them P!! lol

Seriously, could anyone resist? ROFLMAO!!
img_748481_0_8ecfef224626c858f42e3ff3cd428a65.jpg

Anyway, maybe she just liked it and misses it. I have dog that will only sleep on one blanket, that's it, no other will do. They're odd 4 legged people, OCD. HAHA

Maybe the rug in the middle of the floor is like training wheels on a kid's bike. She doesn't really need it, but she needs to know it is there in case she does need it.

:huh:Barbara

The only rug she's getting is the one she's eventually rolled up in :ohmy:

;)

LOL fickle sometimes aren't they? Well its either a rug or a little training coming up. Our newest little one (a little white toy fox hound with maybe some chi in her) now spends most of her time sitting in front of the heating vents, LOL. Apparently she thinks I do not keep the house warm enough for her...

I agree, Fred.

Life's too short!

Lee

Too short for what? To be filled with challenges?
If it's not the toilet going down slow, it's my dog acting goofy :rolleyes:

Or that stupid lump charcoal not burning consistently :mad:

She's walked across that floor like nothing half a dozen times tonight. Now she's carrying on because she's "on the wrong side". I love a challenge, albeit a mild challenge ;)

One simple question - do her nails need clipping? The tile might be more of an issue than the other floor coverings. I had a friend who thought his dog was so old and feeble and I told him to take the dog to get his nails clipped and for goodness sake...clip that hair from in front of his eyes!!!!!!!!!!!! That's all it was - the dog could walk across the tile floor again without bumping into anything! There were two rugs in the kitchen and it was all it could do to get from one to the other; but, the rug is where he felt safest.

Just a thought.

LOL Pacanis... I can never figure my boys out. ... they ATE my stairs ones I built by hand... cheweed the corner off every riser I could kill them for that... I dont even know how to fix it because the only detail I can think of involves steel nosings.. Somedays like today they are totally good... no poop no destruction some days I come home to total disaster. My big boy has developed some sort of car craziness he is suddenly insane over cars... he goes crazy when I walk him people look at me like he must be some sort of vicious monster because he is up on hind legs barking growling writhing... at the dog park if a car passes he runs along side it at full speed l in a tuck like a greyhound... this is new he never did it before. I have no idea what triggered it. My dogs are young right now so its mostly trying to manage their energy. and both of their needs for attention. They are totally different but both equally needy.

Dogs get scared of stuff as they get older too... I had a lab-sheperd mix for 18 years we went through alot with her... she had to be carried upstairs at night because she would not walk up but got depressed if she had to stay down. When we tried to make her sleep on the first floor she got depressed... she would do noting but sigh and wheeze and not even make eye contact... after a night upstairs she would happily spring out of bed like a puppy. She was inconsolable at thunder and was afraid of any loud noise or bang.

That is very odd pacanis, but I don't have a clue what could be causing her distress with that area. Have you tried praising her when she crosses? Or the other thought is just to give her time. Dogs do get hang ups from time to time and just need to work it out themselves.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom