Low fat-Low Cholesterol dessert recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
i was introduced to seeds atop my yogurt when i was in westport, co. mayo a few years ago piccolina. i stayed in the high street b&b run by a very nice couple who served an awesome breakfast. eggs, toast, white puddings, a tomato baked with the house special herb viniagrette on it, fruit, and delicious yougurt with flax seeds.
umm, flax and yogurt is particularly good for, well, the flow of things...:cool:

How intersting that you picked that up in Ireland Bucky, the meal you had sounds wonderful! (Minus the white pudding, not my cup of tea.) I like to add flax to lots of things, you can toss some in so many dishes (stews, salads, baking, etc) and it is really great for your body (Omega oils!).

I like nuts and seeds a lot. I add pine nuts, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds in most of my sauteed veggies and stir fries alos. I haven't tried flax or pumpkin seeds yet. I'll have to add that to my shopping list. :)

Hey there,

Another query - I read at about.com today that oatmeal lowers cholesterol. I have tried so much to love oatmeal as cereal for breakfast but I couldn't. I even tried adding berries - didn't help. Anybody has any idea how else I can use oatmeal in my diet?

Sunflower

Sunflower said:
Hey there,

Another query - I read at about.com today that oatmeal lowers cholesterol. I have tried so much to love oatmeal as cereal for breakfast but I couldn't. I even tried adding berries - didn't help. Anybody has any idea how else I can use oatmeal in my diet?
What is it about oatmeal that you don't enjoy too much? What type of oatmeal are you using? There are many types, and even varieties from other countries can taste a little different. I love oatmeal so much, especially in baking where it makes killer cookies and crumble/crisp toppings. You can also do things with it like throwing some into a meatloaf, or even using it in place of bread crumbs on a casserole.

Personally I love oatmeal with raisins and maple syrup, dried tropical fruit and ginger, berries and a little milk, cinnamon and apples, and peaches and milk with a tad of cinnamon :)

Piccolina said:
Personally I love oatmeal with raisins and maple syrup, dried tropical fruit and ginger, berries and a little milk, cinnamon and apples, and peaches and milk with a tad of cinnamon :)

Do you cook oatmeal in raisins and maple syrup (in milk?).

I used Quaker quick cooking oats for breakfast last week with milk and it ended up being very sticky and bland. And I never tried making it again!

Hi sunflower,

I usually make plain quick cooking (aka "instant") oatmeal in the microwave with water. If I am making it with raisins, dried fruits, spices I add those before putting it in the nuker, and then add things like the syrup, milk, berries once it is cooked. But you could certainly add them before hand if you liked. Another thing I remember doing a while back was stiring some yogurt through the oatmeal instead of milk, I should do that again it was really good, especially blueberry flavoured yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom