Midnite Oil Cafe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boy, am i glad i don't live where you do. did you lose electric power as well? i am always glad to have my electric blanket. but then if power goes off the igniter on the heater doesn't work either. have lit all the burners on stove using a match, to keep warm. luckily it doesn't go off very often. glad you are getting things back to normal.

boy, am i glad i don't live where you do. did you lose electric power as well? i am always glad to have my electric blanket. but then if power goes off the igniter on the heater doesn't work either. have lit all the burners on stove using a match, to keep warm. luckily it doesn't go off very often. glad you are getting things back to normal.
Didn't lose electric and as soon as hub uncovered the chimney the furnace went on with a flick of the restart button.

You know, when we lived in Florida and Hawaii, we lost electric power often, and sometimes for long periods (talking days and weeks, not minutes and hours). Thank heaven that hasn't happened here (knock on wood). But when our temps stayed below zero for a week or so a couple of years ago, I put a pot of water on every burner on the stove, and just kept bringing them back up to a boil. I'd already tried using the oven to heat the kitchen, but it couldn't keep up. I also every few hours ran the shower in both bathrooms until the rooms steamed. We called the people who service our heating system when it didn't seem to b keeping up, and they researched and told us what our system was supposed to handle, and a week at well below 0 wasn't it. The only rooms that were bad were the kitchen and back bathroom/laundry room, so the boiling pots on every burner, and the occaisional running of a hot shower did the trick (OK, one of the burners had some sort of chili or stew on it, which helped all around). Running the shower, boiling the water, also had the benefit of adding moisture to the air, which is a good thing when temps get that low. Oh, and I just put a soup ladle near the stove so we could have a hot cup of tea or soup at any time. I will say I slept downstairs for a few nights until the freeze passed, to keep those home fires burning safely!

Me too! I do get some Tom & Jerry, but I miss all the others, Bugs, et al, Pepe Le Pew, Pinky and the Brain (really miss that one).

Someone else who knows Pinky and the Brain!?!? I love that cartoon! Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were the best things since the original Loony Toons.

Someone else who knows Pinky and the Brain!?!? I love that cartoon! Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were the best things since the original Loony Toons.

Animaniacs Rule! Love them, especially The Baby and Buttons, I have no access to her name right now.

You know, when we lived in Florida and Hawaii, we lost electric power often, and sometimes for long periods (talking days and weeks, not minutes and hours). Thank heaven that hasn't happened here (knock on wood). But when our temps stayed below zero for a week or so a couple of years ago, I put a pot of water on every burner on the stove, and just kept bringing them back up to a boil. I'd already tried using the oven to heat the kitchen, but it couldn't keep up. I also every few hours ran the shower in both bathrooms until the rooms steamed. We called the people who service our heating system when it didn't seem to b keeping up, and they researched and told us what our system was supposed to handle, and a week at well below 0 wasn't it. The only rooms that were bad were the kitchen and back bathroom/laundry room, so the boiling pots on every burner, and the occaisional running of a hot shower did the trick (OK, one of the burners had some sort of chili or stew on it, which helped all around). Running the shower, boiling the water, also had the benefit of adding moisture to the air, which is a good thing when temps get that low. Oh, and I just put a soup ladle near the stove so we could have a hot cup of tea or soup at any time. I will say I slept downstairs for a few nights until the freeze passed, to keep those home fires burning safely!

We lost electric in the beginning of this year (I think it was february) for 4 days. We had to go to a hotel because with no electric we had no heat OR hot water to shower (electric water heater). That really stunk big time!! Our insurance didn't cover the hotel stay OR the hundreds of dollars of food that had to be thrown out because it was "An act of God"!! What a class act that was for sure!! It was really cold and I didn't think of the boiling pots thing. I was thinking oven and with electric ignite NO oven. I have lots of candles. Next time I will do the boiling water thing and try to cook/BBQ what ever I can. I had just found out I was type 2 and was kind of not thinking straight.

I am not having a good night at all!! insomnia, pain and the freaking cat barfed all over the bed and down the hallway!! ARRRRRRRRRRRG!!

I am not having a good night at all!! insomnia, pain and the freaking cat barfed all over the bed and down the hallway!! ARRRRRRRRRRRG!!

(((hugs))) Feeling any better now?

Ain't that the pits when the cat decides that to barf wherever would be worst, right now. I hate cleaning hairballs off the furniture or bed.

(((hugs))) Feeling any better now?

Ain't that the pits when the cat decides that to barf wherever would be worst, right now. I hate cleaning hairballs off the furniture or bed.
It was food not something "easier" (no barf is easy but food stinks!) like hairball. I had to wash full size comforter AND a full size wool hand knitted throw blanket. ONE at a time because I have one of those small capacity washer and dryer. One unit the kind with the washer on the bottom and the dryer on top. It is 120 house current and you can't run both at the same time so it is taking hours!!

msmofet, my sympathies! I live in a really old house, and there is only room for the unit you describe. When I bought the place, the dryer was gas, so i could run both. Then when I had to replace it (the washer part died), the state came in and said my gas lines to that part of the house were copper and condemned them (it's an old shotgun style house and the washer in in the back addition, far from the street). So a quick call to Sears and no, I now need electric. Then after a few hours of thought, a really panicked call to tell them it had to be 110/120, not the normal 220.. I was astonished to realize that I can't run the washer and dryer at the same time! Effectively doubling the time it takes to do a load of laundry! Luckily there are only two of us, and there's a laundromat a few blocks away for really big stuff.

Another thing that helps when you have outages, is to be friends with your neighbors. We often took turns having sort of "this food has to go" parties, where one neighbor or relative would cook a huge batch of what needs to go, and share. Once in Florida it was funny. My husband and I were on the road with truck and camper when a hurricane hit my families' homes in Florida (we were spared, at the time in New Orleans, yes, obviously before Katrina or I wouldn't be alive to tell the tale). My parents evacuated to our trailer, then we had a few days' vacation together, and we followed them to Florida .... where our camp site regained electricity before their home did; plus of course, being a camper, we had battery and propane to live off. At the end of every day they'd come to our trailer for a good meal and hot showers. I think they were out of electricity for a week, and the trailer was a real God-send.

Another thing that helps when you have outages, is to be friends with your neighbors. We often took turns having sort of "this food has to go" parties, where one neighbor or relative would cook a huge batch of what needs to go, and share. Once in Florida it was funny. My husband and I were on the road with truck and camper when a hurricane hit my families' homes in Florida (we were spared, at the time in New Orleans, yes, obviously before Katrina or I wouldn't be alive to tell the tale). My parents evacuated to our trailer, then we had a few days' vacation together, and we followed them to Florida .... where our camp site regained electricity before their home did; plus of course, being a camper, we had battery and propane to live off. At the end of every day they'd come to our trailer for a good meal and hot showers. I think they were out of electricity for a week, and the trailer was a real God-send.
Thats a good idea BUT the whole area was out of power for 4 days. Most of my side of county was out in fact.

Back
Top Bottom