My Lost Doggie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great news Claire! Nurture that baby tonight! I am so glad to hear that a wonderful family in your neighborhood found your dog. Poor thing, down to skin and bones, but Im sure your giving her lots of love :) What a happy ending/beginning.

My husband and I stayed awake for three days, looking for her. Then we started to prepare for a pet-free life-style. I was going to have an anniversary in a hotel in Chicago. We were planning that trip to Paris to see my sister run in the marathon there.

But you know what? I have my dog back. For those who have asked, no, she didn't know us from adam. She was too close to death for recognition. What she did know, right away, was crochetted afghans. From day one I've used them with the dogs. Their "blankies". My mom used to make them, I used to make them, and now a friend's daughter makes them. I curl up under one at 3 a.m. when I'm up (I'm an insomniac), and Keiki and White Fang were raised napping on them.

I live in such a small community, and at times it felt like everyone was looking for her. It turned out that everyone WAS loooking for her. We tried to give money to the family who found her; they wouldn't take it. I've decided to send a flowering plant to them. Two of them. I was crying so hard that I won't recognise them. All I know is that the little boy resembles a freind of mine. I cried and cried and cried.

Tears

AT least you cleaned your eyes out for a while. it is good to cry. I seem to not be able to anymore since I have depression or anxiety medication.

This is so unbelieveable that you got her back. There was story of couple who had their dog stolen out of the car when they visited their friend here. They had left the dog in the car temporarily and the car was stolen but the dog crate was found only few blocks away w/no dog in i t. They first offered $!000 then $5000. When they visited here 6 months after the time dog was
taken they made offer of $25000! Was such a cute, small, white dog and must have really loved her/him. Broke my heart that the dog was never returned. Someone probably has her but you think that amount of money would bring her/him back? These kind of values are only one of a kind.

Awe Claire.... reading the rest of this thread is a roller coaster of emotions!!! I'm so relieved that she is back with her family. To live out her days with those who truly love her and can comfort her with the "blankies". I'm so sorry Claire, I know how gut wrenching it had to be for you and I know the guilt that you carry when something like that happens. I'm just so happy she is with you now, give her a hug for me and here is a **HUG** for you as well.

Many blessings to you...

I was going to buy her puppy/pregnant dog food, but the vet said that was too much protein for a dog her age. Because we'd given away/thrown away all of the dog products we owned, I was feeding her roast beef from the deli wet down with swanson's beef broth that was in the pantry. The vet gave us some kind of prescription dog food (she doesn't sell regular dog food, just prescription diets) and some electrolites. So yesterday I went and bought what she was fed before (Purina One dry food). She was absolutely delighted. I'll go to the store and get some full-fat cottage cheese as well. She was always a rather skinny dog, so it will take some work to get her back up to par. Just fluids alone gave her 2 lbs (she weighed 13 lbs, was found at 9, and is up to 11). I've washed her with warm face cloths, but she really needs a bath. I don't want to do that until her wounds heal (she was definitely in a fight). The doc said I can bathe her any time now, but I really want her to have some scabs and for the trauma to be past a little (she hates being bathed). The receptionist at the vet's laughed delightedly ... turns out that she lives in the subdivision where Keiki was last seen. "You know we were all looking for her!"

Old Dogs

About the bathing, good to give her time to get used to 'routines' I had another different experience this past Thursday. I took the dogs to the groomer since weather starting to get hot 91 degrees already. (Don't know what to look forward to this summer!) When I picked the dogs up, the groomer told me not to expect big change as the diabetic dog, who is blind, went on the table and just couldn't get calmed down. I was so sorry that they had this mess w/her. At the same time I feel that this all comes w/age and not to expect anything normal anymore. Having the diabetes for so long makes her uncomfortable but is this dog smart! Seems she can tell what time to get her shots.

The reason for all this is to let you know you are doing right by not rushing anything. The dog knows you better than anyone, Even your mom doesn't know your feelings the way this little one does. Who else would put up w/us the way the animals do. The love is something to be strived for. If only I could have this feeling w/my neighbor who is so narcistic and immature. Sorry to have to report that but living across the street from someone like this makes me appreciate my animals more. She would never look for my dog if it was lost. Count your blessings, Claire. You are living in the right place and you know it.

I am so thankful she is where she belongs, even if she had to fight to get there. What a spirit!

:) Claire you can get doggie wipes or baby wipes with aloe vera or just use a wet face cloth to slowly clean her up.There also is a dog spray liquid you can buy to give her a waterless bath its made by Bio-Groom called Super Blue Plus no rinse shampoo.Tearless Shampoo without wetting or rinsing when bathing is not practical.
A food suggestion scrambled eggs with a little bit of olive or fish oil in it.

Last edited:
Claire, I am so happy you got you Keiki back. I can't imagine what you were going through. I know Galena very well, I am not suprised that you had such wonderful people helping you.:wub:

Claire, I'm so glad to read you got your beloved pooch back.

We had a 9 month old black lab get loose, never to return. I went around with a hole in my heart for 3 months until we got another black lab, 15 months old.

We then invested in an Invisible Fence since we didn't have a regular fence. I could do an informercial for Invisible Fence. It is wonderful!

Oh Claire, lhow wonderful! I know your heart is overlowing with joy. :)

I am so happy for your family and for your furbaby. I know she was so lost without you, now she will get better with your love.

Last edited:
Claire, I can only echo everyone's sentiments that have been already expressed... hugs to you and your brave doggie!!:) :) :)

I think it's great that she was found !!!!!!! My heart is full of joy after reading this. I can only imagine the joy you must be feeling.

Lost Dog

Claire, how is your dog doing? I have been thinking about him since he had been gone and found again! What a feeling! Hope everything is getting back to normal.

I don't know what is happening around my neighborhood but last Monday I had to go to vet to put my dog down. Yesterday, Monday my neighbor was crying so hard because she was going to take her dog to the vet. Before that my other neighbor had to give up her pets. Since I am medicated w/some kind of antidepression pills I hardly cry but I know t he loss. Guess this medicat ion is working cause my tears don't come. You think this is good? Nothing bothers me worse than having to lose a dog one way or another and I don't cry anymore.

Give your baby a big hug for me and tell him I don't want him to go anywhere. Hope everything okay!

In the Kitchen said:
Claire, how is your dog doing? I have been thinking about him since he had been gone and found again! What a feeling! Hope everything is getting back to normal.

I don't know what is happening around my neighborhood but last Monday I had to go to vet to put my dog down. Yesterday, Monday my neighbor was crying so hard because she was going to take her dog to the vet. Before that my other neighbor had to give up her pets. Since I am medicated w/some kind of antidepression pills I hardly cry but I know t he loss. Guess this medicat ion is working cause my tears don't come. You think this is good? Nothing bothers me worse than having to lose a dog one way or another and I don't cry anymore.

Give your baby a big hug for me and tell him I don't want him to go anywhere. Hope everything okay!

I am so sorry In The Kitchen for your loss. Something must be going on in your neighborhood......you all need to check that out. Sounds like there's a toxin of some kind out there, whether it was done deliberately or accidentally. That is terrible!

I'm so sorry for you. Sometimes these things seem to go in groups (for example, my neighbor's dog was poisoned and had to be put down around the same time mine did for a long-standing kidney disease; my sister's dog died the same week Keiki was first lost). More so lately because of the tainted food supply.

Meanwhile, Keiki is doing just great. All but the largest of her sores is healed, and we noticed this week that her full personality is back. Needless to say, after 8 days in the wild, it took awhile for the personality to return. For the better part of two weeks all she did was sleep and eat (and eat and eat and sleep some more) and she moved very slowly. I haven't taken her for a weigh-in yet, but she looks like she regained her weight as well. She's always been a skinny little dog, so she really didn't have that three pounds to lose.

Back
Top Bottom