My newest pet peeve! What's yours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LEFSElover said:
suppose''b''ly.........

That's similar to Mr Bush's favorite word: nukular (I wonder if he's have pasketti for dinner and giving his wife some jewlary)

I need to rant so here goes. My latest pet peeve. I bought a dvd burner and I'm getting ready to set it up............Where is the user manual? Do they give you a book?......NO! It's on the cd to read on your computer. Yes, you can print the book out but 25 pages? I don't think so. My iPod......no manual. I went to the book store to buy an iPod guide. Sheeesh! Just put a manual in the box, why don't you? Spend that extra 15 cents for you customer.:mad:

jkath said:
It makes me want to run out screaming and waving my arms.
I can't stop laughing, imagining you do this. I can picture it so clearly in my mind!:LOL:

I don't really pay attention to the responses I get from saying Thank You. What really drives me up the wall is when someone doesn't say thank you to me! I have a 2 year old by the hand and and infant in my other arm but I wait and hold the door for person coming in. They are about 10 feet away but I smile and wait, they walk through without saying anything or even returning my smile. It's as if they are too good for me and expect that kind of service all the time. Makes me want to wait until they come back out and close the door in their face.

Bush wasn't the first president to mispronounce nuclear - check out Carter's pronunciation of that word - he was called on it quite often.

mish said:
Slaughter of the english language, i.e. mispronouncing 'often', as ofTen, emphasis on the 'T'. Seems this is now acceptable. All's I want...makes me cringe. When someone says I should have went, rather than I should have gone. Misuse of theirs, there's, yours, etc. I wonder what went wrong in the school system.

I am known for applauding the schools as often as I can.
Many of my dear friends are teachers, who work through weekends and summers, just to make a difference in a child's life.
I have seen kindergarteners show up for school, never having held a pencil, and having no idea what the alphabet is. I chalk that up to neglectful parenting.
I don't think it's the school system that teaches poor grammar.
Rather, it's the improper use of the language in the individual's home environment.

Also, I am enjoying the poetry out there! Please, phinz, Buckytom, Z and Lefse, post more!

Oh...and I was going to do a limerick for Tom, but realized I just shouldn't be rhyming "bucky".:ermm:

most peoples language, for better or worse doesn't bother me. i'm just happy to have someone want to have a friendly or even hotly debated conversation with me. on my planet, everyone is so quiet and think they know everything.

however, one that bothers me is the over and incorrect use of the verb to be, such as "this is where i grew up at."

"is" is good enough, you don't need the final "at".

Last edited:
No poetry, but here's a funny story I wrote about my misadventures. Some backstory: My daily driver is a Scion xB, and I have a Miata for fun. Mizzphinz drives a Honda Pilot.

Anyway, here's the story. I wrote this and distributed it all over. My wife wound up sending it to all her friends and family.

One afternoon on a really lazy Saturday about a month ago my wife decided she wanted to drive the Box to run her errands. I was at home doing my usual nothing, still in my pajamas, so I tossed her the keys and said, "Have fun!"

She goes out to the car, gets situated and drives off. I had no sooner sat back down at the upstairs computer when I got a frantic call from her.
"I'm in the driveway. Your car started making this beeping sound which got faster and faster!"

She's thinking she blew something up, or was driving with the parking brake on (her Pilot beeps if you leave the brake on while driving) but she can't figure out where the sound is coming from. "It sounded like it was coming from the dashboard."

I put a jacket on and go out to the car. It's *freezing* outside, so I really don't want to spend much time out there.

"Let me drive the beeping car around the block and see if I can get it to beep again." Off I go in my flannel pajama pants, slippers, Manchurian Candidate sweatshirt and leather bomber jacket, down the road in my BCP Box, trying my ****edest to get the thing to beep at me.

No dice. I pitch the car through turns with gusto. I pull the parking brake one notch and accelerate. I brake hard. I do anything I can think of to try and upset the balance of the car, but there's no beeping. I crank the stereo up, but doubt that will do anything other than make my ears bleed.

Nothing. No beeps.

By the time I get back, shaking my head to the negative, she's standing in the garage with a dumbfounded look on her face. I root around in the glovebox, get the owner's manual out, start reading it and roll down the window to talk to her. Did I mention it was freezing out?

"What were you doing when the beeping happened?"

"Driving."

"No crap? Duh. OK. Did you have the brake on?"

"Not that I know of. The beeping brake light wasn't on."

I go through all the things I can think of with her. She's dancing in the cold and finally says, "Can I get in the beeping car? It's beeping freezing out here."

"Sure."

We talk about it. The car doesn't beep any more while I'm sitting out there. I go inside and she leaves to run her errands. She has no beeping problems the rest of the day. I have no issues with the beeping car when I make my daily drive to and from work.

Fast forward a couple of weeks or so. I'm on the way home from running out to work on a Sunday. It's about 3ish in the afternoon, and I'm toodling through the construction zone on the interstate near my house when this beeping starts. It starts out slow, but then gets beeping insistent. I'm trying to locate the source of the sound. The beep is starting to sound like the countdown to a bomb going off.

Picture this balding, slightly overweight, middle-aged, bearded white guy desperately trying to maintain speed on the interstate in a busy construction zone while trying frantically to locate the source of a beeping sound in the dashboard area. I'm doing everything but unbuckling and climbing into the passenger seat.

Opening the glovebox. Opening the box under the radio. It sounds like it's coming from the middle of the dash, or somewhere under the dash. I can't pull off of the road because there's no shoulder. All the while the beeping is getting faster and faster. I'm afraid the next thing I'll hear is, "This Scion will self-destruct in 5 seconds."

I'm desperately trying to get to an exit so that I can stop the car and figure out the beeping problem.

Then the beeping stops. It doesn't slow down. It just *stops.* Nothing. No hint of sound. Nada. By this time I'm at my exit, so I head on home in a hurry.

As I'm driving up the hill that separates my road from the main highway it dawns on me. I know what it is, and boy don't I feel like a beeping idiot. I get home, unlock all the doors and open the passenger side door. I look around in the floorboard and glove box. Then I reach under the seat.

My beepin' alarm clock from work is under the seat. I had put it in the Box so that I could take it home and put some pictures in its frames. It had been going off every day at 3:16, but I'm rarely in the car at that time.

Moral of the story? There isn't one. I'm just a beeping idiot.

my new mexican faves-
"welcome to taco bell, malp you?"
and "don't you want a gum?"

As much fun as this is, and as much laughing I'm doing I gotta go for now. Need to take my kids on a drive to get them to fall asleep fast and I can have some peace. I'll's check's back's in a little bit!

Thanks for making my day, everyone!

Last edited:
Also, I am enjoying the poetry out there! Please, phinz, Buckytom, Z and Lefse, post more!

Oh...and I was going to do a limerick for Tom, but realized I just shouldn't be rhyming "bucky".:ermm:[/quote]
Oh no please, no rhyming with that. I remember the Name Game song, no mention of Chuck anywhere!:wacko:
corazon90 said:
my new mexican faves-
"welcome to taco bell, malp you?"
and "don't you want a gum?"

There's something about Texas in that people there on the phone say, "Hode on" Or, "I tode you already". What 'is' hode or tode?

Last edited:
pdswife said:
Do any of you write poetry?
I do write poetry. I love it. One of my pet peeves is name calling. I just hate it when I have a disagreement with someone and they call me(or other people) names instead of understanding that we are all different and just because other people disagree with them doesn't make them bad people. why can't people just disagree fairly instead of calling others names.

My biggest are the kids now days.
1- They dress like slobs or half dressed with undies showing, clothings that are huge on them and hanging down to their knees but their undies hanging out at the top.
All the piercings and tatoos on young ones.
Im not againest piering and tatoos -I never have one, and yes i do have my ear pierce one each. but they are getting younger doing it. Later in life when they grow up and decide how stupid that was they can't do anything with it. Without a large process and money
2- They are the Instant Gradification Generation.
Meaning they don't care if they can't afford it - they want it- they don't have any idea to save for what they want. I remember saving for something and the gradfication i got when i went to buy it. I not that old either.
A friend of ours, son won't drive a used vehicle, can't be seen it by the chicks, he wants a 40,000 truck he's working in a mall for 8.00 an hour. Asked how you going to pay for it he said i don't care i want it.
They have no money in the bank. or even look to the future. they live day to day.
That is a scarey thought when they are our future.
Yes I have a Child - She use to be good about saving and planning things, She was taught to work for things and hard work pays off, We weren't real strick either, we just showed how to do it. When she moved out on her own she was doing great then I don't know what happened. She is now again realizing her errors .
What a question to ask better quit here I could go on .

Excellent story, phinz! I'm really enjoying this whole thread!

Corazon, I get "malp you?" (that's beautiful, lol!), but I can't figure you "don't you want a gum?"

Lee

Jikoni said:
I do write poetry. I love it. One of my pet peeves is name calling. I just hate it when I have a disagreement with someone and they call me(or other people) names instead of understanding that we are all different and just because other people disagree with them doesn't make them bad people. why can't people just disagree fairly instead of calling others names.
Jikoni,
maybe they call names because they don't have the smarts to state their view..It's easier to unload mean names than use the old noggin..I almost pity the poor things..But I have found that walking away from them usually puts a damper on all the fun they are having...

kadesma:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom