Name 3 things you have trouble cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After ruining a pan full of scallops, I just add the garlic after my dish is started or I add them with onions. I think it's just as good. I particularly like dried garlic flakes. They have a huge aroma and the 1/2" flakes look good in a stew or soup, and give you a delicious burst.

I have enough trouble getting brown rice cooked, that I've never tried basmati. I did find that brown rice works best if you soak it for at least an hour.

Whenever I roast a chicken, I usually butter it and bake. It always comes out with a beautiful crisp crust. I've never heard of searing it first. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303
2 - Fried Eggs - Love 'em usually end up hard fried, break when turning or runny.

Try low heat and setting a pot lid over them. Check often, they will still cook faster than it takes a toaster to make your toast.

--Also, before setting the pot lid over them, add to the pan 1 teaspoon of water.
The steam produced will cook the white on the top, and the yolk will still be runny.
you dont have to turn them.

oh i hate rice pilaf- cooked it daily fer months at school, ghettoracing, ugh.

3 Foods I have trouble cooking

1. Mexican rice. I like the dry, fluffy, pink/orange kind. Not the reddish wet mass of tasteless glue I end up with. I can cook any other type of rice to perfection - every time. I have no idea why I cannot make good Mexican rice! :wacko:

2. Homemade puff pastry...I am a patient person but a lot of work is involved and sometimes it won't 'puff' and be all crispy. I purchase it frozen, instead.

3. Strudel dough. I purchase frozen filo dough and use that instead. I just cannot seem to get the homemade dough thin enough, even if I roll it until I can nearly see through it!

Mashed potatoes are easy. I have to make them almost daily at work. I take Yukon Golds, and steam them for 30 minutes. Into a mixer bowl with half a pound of butter and some hot milk, season TT w/ S&P. Start by placing the bowl on the mixer, and attaching the whisk attachment. As the potatoes mash, pour in some heavy cream until desired consistency is reached. I make mine rather runny, as they've got to hold for several hours.

Urmaniac, you'd hate to be here after I catch some catfish.

There are so many to choose from but the top 3 are fish, pork and gravy. I have never made an edible piece of fish, my pork loin is always dry and my gravy is just plain gross.

Pie crust! I can't make it round without it breaking and giving me horrible edges. Although my pies taste good, they look ugly all the time.

For the breaks in the crust, cover any holes with extra pie crust dough cut out in shapes. For example, when I make apple pie I always cover any holes with a maple leaf cut out which I have brushed with a little egg wash to attach on then on the top to brown. As for the edges, have you tried the fork method? Until I learned how to crimp the edges by hand, I always used forks, and remember to cover the edges with foil until the last couple of minutes of baking to keep them from over cooking.

Me and fish do NOT get alone, talapia is fine because it's very forgiving. It always comes out well, but cod, or tuna, or salmon- forget it. I never season it right, or it's near raw in the middle and charred on the outside.

Homemade french fries. Either too soggy and oily or rock hard in the middle. I've tried deep frying, AND baking..nothing

the last is anything breaded. My breading for pork chops, egg plant parmesean etc. always cooks off into the pan when I make it. I dunk everything in eggs and milk then the breading of flour or bread crumbs and no matter what, I end up with an ugly, unbreaded product and lots of crumbs in the bottom of my pan....

it's near raw in the middle and charred on the outside.
Sounds like you have the heat way too high. Try a much lower heat setting.

Homemade french fries. Either too soggy and oily or rock hard in the middle. I've tried deep frying, AND baking..nothing
When you fry then do you use the double fry method? This is where you fry them first at a lower temp. This is to cook the potato on the inside. Then you drain them and bring the oil temp up higher and fry them a second time to crisp up the outside.

anything breaded. My breading for pork chops, egg plant parmesean etc. always cooks off into the pan when I make it. I dunk everything in eggs and milk then the breading of flour or bread crumbs and no matter what, I end up with an ugly, unbreaded product and lots of crumbs in the bottom of my pan....

Do you dredge the item being fried in flour first, then egg wash, then the final breading product (cracker crumbs, flour, cornmeal, panko, a mix of any of these, etc.)?

I fry on a regular basis at work, and rarely have a problem with my breading coming off.

Pork chops (except for my yummy herbed pork chops). But I usually burn the outside. I let DH cook the pork chops.

I can't think of anything else that gives me trouble at the moment, but I know there are other things.

Pork chops (except for my yummy herbed pork chops). But I usually burn the outside. I let DH cook the pork chops.

I can't think of anything else that gives me trouble at the moment, but I know there are other things.

For extra thick chops: If you're just cooking them in a pan, once the outside get's a little color on it add a little chicken broth and cover it over medium heat. This adds moisture to the longer cook time so you don't burn or dry out the chops.

I remove pork when it just feels firm with the poke test, cover with foil and let rest, and wind up with juicy chops.

1. Boiling water! I always get impatient and walk away and come back to find it boiled all over the stove.

2. Making toast, I always burn it. I desperately need a new toaster. The dial for setting it darker and lighter is broken.

3. Making gravy from those little instant packages. I use those on a whim once in a while and can never get the stuff to mix right. It always comes out lumpy and runny.

For extra thick chops: If you're just cooking them in a pan, once the outside get's a little color on it add a little chicken broth and cover it over medium heat. This adds moisture to the longer cook time so you don't burn or dry out the chops.

I remove pork when it just feels firm with the poke test, cover with foil and let rest, and wind up with juicy chops.

Thanks! That helps a lot!

1.) Pan-seared or pan-roasted anything. It always sticks or smokes too much. Unfortunately, I can't use the heat I should because of my awfully subpar exhaust fan, and so I've largely given up on this endeavor until I procure a grill and can do it outside on the grill's extra burner with a cast iron pan.

2.) Maki Sushi. Always tastes fine but looks like hell, and I'm using a GOOD SHARP Global sushi knife with the requisite single-sided edge. Not sure why I suck at this so much, but I undeniably suck. The rolling kills me. I also wuss out and make my nigiri and Musubi with a mold. I know, I'm a pansy.

3.) Stir Fry. I just can't get it to taste the way I want it to taste. It probably doesn't help that I don't own a wok, I probably have the heat too low, and I'm adhoc-ing many of the ingredients, but I can't even get it CLOSE. Chinese cooking is my "next big thing" I want to get good at, but so far I'm falling on my face with it.

1. Pasta...Not a real problem but I hate to cook it. I have no idea why but I catch myself avoiding recipes with pasta just because I hate to cook it.

2. Macaroni Salad... Mine never tastes as good as others.

3. Yeast Breads/Pie Dough...I think I work the dough too much so I stick to crumb crusts and quick breads.

For a moist chicken or turkey try baking it with the breast down. I will flip the bird over for the last 15-20 minutes and baste with pan drippings and up the temp to 375-400 This gives a nice brown skin that is not dried out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom