Not your Average Lunchbox...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could have sworn I posted on this thread earlier...I must be losing my marbles....

Anyway, this is a very useful thread. Not just for mothers, but for wives who make packed lunches too. So thanks Alix.

My standby sandwich filling that is quick and easy but healthy in the mornings when I have not thought of anything better is : tinned tuna, some nice fresh spring onion, mayo to bind, and a splash of Worcester sauce. Sometimes I add sweet corn too, and it also works with shredding roast chicken. I like it with pached chicken, husband does not.

A complication in making adult packed lunches is that by there very nature they are often eaten over the keyboard or in a tie that has to get into an afternoon meeting. This has resulted in the refusal of things like fresh peaches (too juicy for the keyboard) and slices of quiche and pie also seem messier than sandwiches or salads.

Does any one have a good way of keeping salad FRESH that is prepared at breakfast? It seems to be less than appetising by lunch time, other wish i like the idea of sending a fresh salad with a shredded, marinatedf grilled chicked breast or piece of fish.

Cold meats always seem to do well, though, and cruditee lasts well.

The other thing I have done in the past is get tupperware pots and make up jellies (jello) with fruits in them. I wish jelly was safer to keep made up for longer. I believe three days is max, but still they are nice to eat and pretty. I think a big off putting thing about packed lunch is it can be visually depressing!

I think I might have to emply VeraBlue's tip and see if the bag with a picture distracts from the lack of imagination in the lunches.

Alix said:
Oh yum. Its early for me and I am now drooling in anticipation for lunch. Thanks all! Keep 'em coming!

Hey kadesma, where is that devilled ham recipe?
Alix,
I used the 3-oz. pack of cream cheese then added about 1/4 cup mayo and 6 thin slices of imported boiled ham... These are all about measurements you just need to mix it to the thickness you prefer. It was so easy in the small cuisenart and Cade, Carson and Ethan really liked it. I plan to try it with some roast beef as well. This way we are getting more meat into Carson...

kadesma:)

lulu said:
Does any one have a good way of keeping salad FRESH that is prepared at breakfast? It seems to be less than appetising by lunch time, other wish i like the idea of sending a fresh salad with a shredded, marinatedf grilled chicked breast or piece of fish.

Hey lulu, if I am sending salad, a damp paper towel on top of the salad or wrapped around the greens seems to work well. Don't put the meat in with the greens though. Add it later.

OK, we are about to hit the "I'm bored" stage of lunches. Need some more ideas folks.

I do have a few limitations, my youngest daughter's school is nut free so no nut product of any kind allowed. My older daughter's school allows nuts, but her best friend is allergic to peanuts so no peanuts for her. Sigh.

I've been doing the thermos thing with hot stuff in it lately as the weather is getting chilly here, but they are getting picky about that too.

Anyone have any more brainstorms?

Something like a Cornish Pasty?.....meat and veg all in one parcel....helps keep paws less sticky? You could make a bunch and freeze them, take them out to bake the night before, and have any number of fillings....

I sometimes make pizzas at home using wholemeal pita bread with various toppings (not too many or they go soggy). They make a nice lunch cold and aren't too bad for you if you put a lot of vegies on and go easy on the cheese plus the bases are quite high in fibre especially compared to a usual pizza base.

My son always ate the school food. But when I was little, when I carried, I carried stuff like egg sandwiche with mao,I did, tuna salad,ham salad. Never got sick.Probably ate between 11 and noon,so the stuff didn't sit in the "coat room"all that long.This is WAAAAAAY back in the mid 60's when I was in grade school.My parents owned a resturant so it was easier for mom just to bring it home from"the shop" the night before

Mum used to try different things. Cold Rissoles always rocked, and the muffin for morning tea was handmade. She had a few months of savoury muffins as well... Carrot and Zucchini, or ham and cheese. Meat was occasionally left out because, well, I eat it at dinner. I didn't mind that much.

Now that I'm working I tend to take what's left of last night's dinner. Cooking for one is difficult, so I cook for two or four, and get more meal for my money.

Why not make them get their own lunch? It might help stop the "OMG Lunch Sux!" issue, because they're responsible for it. Also, they've got to generate their own variety.

Peanut butter and jelly and a piece of fruit was always a favorite with my kids. They also liked a plain cheese sandwich with Miracle Whip.

when i was a kid taking lunches to school my dad always packed them for me so i never knew what kind of little surprises might be in there. i got teased a lot for not making my lunch--but hey i like the way my dad made it. sometimes he would put in sliced starfruit or kiwi. The starfruit is fun for kids cuz it actually looks like little yellow stars when it is cut. Any time that he ever packed a sandwich for me he always separated the veggies into ziplock bags so the bread wouldnt get soggy. i also appreciated the occasional "i love you" note from mom or dad. The idea about the drawings on the baggies is cute.

I think it would be nice if everyone would post daily pictures of what they put in their lunchbox! Like someone did before with the bento pictures (sorry, I forgot who)... Or describe what's in it, as a twist on the "what's for dinner" thread. It might help give the rest of us some ideas : ) I pack a lunch for my hubby and myself everyday, and it does require quite a bit of creativity to make sure that we'll both feel like eating it...

biev, why don't you start a Whats for Lunch today thread everyday? I know lots of folks would be posting like crazy.

Oh, and the bento box threads were from grumblebee who I suspect is immersed in her schoolwork at the moment. I miss those too.

Alix said:
Oh, and the bento box threads were from grumblebee who I suspect is immersed in her schoolwork at the moment. I miss those too.

Funny you should mention those. I was thinking about them just the other day. I used to love seeing those pictures. Made me feel healthier just to look at them!

I like this thread....I pack my lunch most days of the week, so I'm always looking for different ideas. I'm trying to eat healthier, plus I work at a school, so I'm also on the constant look-out for cheap healthy lunch ideas. The more for my money, the better! Any ideas, anyone?

Good packed lunches require good leftovers. On Sundays I try to make a large-ish something that will give me "pickins' through a couple days.
Can't go wrong with a big ol' bowl of cold mac salad or potato salad for sides.
One of my co-workers always carted in some great melange from the previous night's supper. It might be noodles with chicken, pea pods, carrots, etc. kind of chinese-style, or spaghetti with meatballs or sausage. Could be eaten cold or zapped.
I like to roll up slices of Sunday's roast in a tortilla with some cheese. Eat cold or zap. This could be anything; all manner of beef, pork, chicken, ham.
Buy those restaurant packets of mayo and mustard.
A staple is pepperoni and cheese. Try salami.
Meatloaf is made for leftovers. Some grainy-oaty bread, slathered with mayo on one side and mustard on the other, with slices of meatloaf inside, maybe slide in paper thin onion. I always wrap such a sandwich in papertowel then slide into a ziplock. This seems to keep things from getting too soggy.
I agree about the paper towel for green salads, too. Never pack 'em dressed.
There's a great item I learned in southern California; hot carrots! Hot as in briney/spicy. This makes a great little side. Can do it with grean beans too.
I think most of my suggestions are for adults, but certainly kids would do some of them, too.
For my kids I did banana and peanut butter on toasted oat bread. The toasting kept that from getting soggy. We also saw a good amount of bologna and cheese, cream cheese and jelly, pb and j.

i take my lunch to work pretty much every day ..
i do not have access to any microwaves or the like ..
so a couple of my favorites ..
burritoes .. just meat cheese and salsa ...bake them in the oven for 10
mins the night before and wrap with saran wrap .. they are really
good and hold up well ..
grilled quesadillia (sp) cut into triangles and stick them in
tupperware .. these are always good ..
if you have a thermos .. fill with really hot water and put a couple
hot dogs in it in the morning .. come lunch time they are ready ..
anti pasta also is very good ..

lunch eh?
we can buy lunch at school, but they are very typical school lunch type things. you can get:
pizza
burgers (beef or chick) with a salad and a drink
fries (spicy or reg)
bagles and cream cheese
some wraps
some different types of sandwiches, cheese and ham, egg salad etc.
because the school that I go to is very ethincally diverse they also offer chicken curry and rice on some days.

bagles and cc is the main one that I buy when I'm buying. and I have bought a slice of pizza and once I did break down and buy some spicy fries;)

But the students arn't limited ot what's in the caf. we can also go across the street where there is 2 different pizza places (pizza pizza, and at the other side of the "plaza" there is a double double). there is a also a very popular chinese place called Super Choy and a burger joint called "big boy burgers" (or something like that) that is in that same "plaza".

When I'm not buying I typically bring a wrap. just some cheese, onion, lettuce, cuke and some mirical whip. along with an apple and a bottle of water.
Lunches can get very boring around here which is why I love this thread, so many new ideas!:) I love the idea of bringing salads (sauce on the side), leftovers is also a good one.
of course none of this is helping me as I am now off school!!:-p

When I went to public school K-8 grade, I would usually buy lunch from the cafeteria, but occaisonally I'd pack a lunch too. I remember things like goldfish crackers, pringles, carrot sticks w/ ranch dressing, tortilla chips w/ salsa, and PBJ or Ham and Cheese sandwiches....and chocolate pudding that came in those tubes like GoGurt. From high school on, when I was homeschooled, I usually came home for lunch each day (I only went one day a week :P ) but sometimes I brought lunch and I'd bring ramen noodles or TV dinners that I could microwave or something like that. Now I just make lunch at home basically as I finish up my senior year in high school. Although I do have a good wrap that has turkey, ranch dressing, American cheese, and shredded carrots. Might be good with shredded radishes or jicama too!

Back
Top Bottom