Oil smoke point in practice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noob00225

Assistant Cook
Hello,

In doing research for different smoke points for oils, there is one point that is often overlooked, the method of cooking.

For oven baking, in a tray, with a paper sheet often at ~220 c/430f.
But this is the temperature of the air in the oven, not the oil.

What would the oil's temperature in this case, and how can I measure it?
The bottom part of what's cooking and the oil on it comes into contact with the paper/tray, so it could be hotter then the top?

So what oils or other replacements are safe for use in this case?

Thank you.

I never considered "smoking point" as a concern for oven use. Unless you are roasting/baking at temperatures over 475/500 f - 240/250+ c. (then you'd better start with a squeaky clean oven or you will smoke out the house!)

To me, it is strictly a pan issue. Pan's temperatures are much hotter than your oven with the pan being in direct contact with the heat element/burner and your oil and therefore the food also being in direct contact.

There is a hand held device that is called an infrared temperature gauge. Prices in North Am. vary from about 30$ to over 150$. I have no idea how accurate they would be for your research.

So other than reaching in with your hand and a regular cooking thermometer and touching the oil and bottom of the food, I have no ideas for you.

Edit: As to what oils to use, a general research will give you oil smoking temperatures. If they will smoke in a pan at certain temp, I'm pretty sure they will smoke in the oven at basically the same temps.
It will also depend on the thickness/depth of the oil - a thin smear will smoke much sooner than a 1/4 inch.

Last edited:
Hello,

In doing research for different smoke points for oils, there is one point that is often overlooked, the method of cooking.

For oven baking, in a tray, with a paper sheet often at ~220 c/430f.
But this is the temperature of the air in the oven, not the oil...

The temperature of the oil will eventually reach oven temperature. By that time, most oils would be braking down and smoking.

Theoretically, you should use an oil that will remain stable at your oven temperature. Oil mixed into food will not reach oven temperature while oil in an open roasting pan would.

So you have to choose your oils based on their use.

Back
Top Bottom