Olive oil mayo - tried it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
since oil is oil as far as calories go, a tablespoon of lard = a tablespoon of corn oil as far as calories go, how is this olive oil mayo lower in calories without other substitutions?

I was just talking about this last night on the phone to 'someone':wacko:?
It sounds so good to me being an avid user of olive oil and all.
I will try it when I remember to buy it in the market.
About 2 months ago, I bought a heart smart mayonnaise. Don't remember the brand name, had never heard of it before or seen it since. It had a big red heart on the label.
Being ever concerned about hubby's innards, was hoping he'd not notice.
He never said anything when I did use it on his sammies.
However, to me, reading the ingredients was just all wrong.
No eggs, not much of anything regular, but it did include fish products, either fish oil or some such thing. You know, I tossed it. It had a slimy consistency, and for me, not eating much mayo anymore due to diet restrictions, I didn't buy it for me, but honestly wondered how long it'd sit in the fridge before it got used up, all one quart of it. Chucked it, I'd never want to use it after reading the very odd ingredients. Since, I've not even seen it in our market, I think they got the hint and pulled it.

You did say Kraft, right?

I just searched the Kraft website. They offer 15 varieties of mayonnaise - both real and not, and none contain the words olive oil or have olive oil mentioned in the ingredients.

What am I missing?

I grew up on Miracle Whip. Since then I've been a Hellman's girl. I didn't know what I was missing.
My question ~ can you taste the olive oil?
As a young girl, trying to stretch money when in Hawaii for weeks on end, I would find myself eating MW sandwiches. If I had money, I'd buy bologna or tuna and do a real sandwich but if my friend and I had no money, MW sandwiches were duh bomb. Loved them.
Now however, I'm convinced they changed the recipe for MW cause to me now, it's just awful. Hellman's however, I could eat out a duh jah....love it!

My husband, who's usually very "into" all the "heart smart" stuff, brought home a jar of "Smart Balance" mayo once. And "once" was the only time he used it - lol! I didn't taste it (since I'm a regular Hellmann's girl), but for him to tell me to toss the whole jar (& he ain't a picky guy about stuff like that) was all I needed to hear - lol!

I like Hellman's real mayo. I've tried several variations and liked the HRM made with Canola oil until they changed the recipe. Now it is more like Miracle Whip. I tried making homemade mayo with EVOO. The OO was too strong in flavor. Either way, I like "Real Mayo"

I like Hellman's real mayo. I've tried several variations and liked the HRM made with Canola oil until they changed the recipe. Now it is more like Miracle Whip. I tried making homemade mayo with EVOO. The OO was too strong in flavor. Either way, I like "Real Mayo"

Use light olive oil. The "light" translates to olive oil taste, not fat grams :LOL: You will still get the olive oil benefit.

As a young girl, trying to stretch money when in Hawaii for weeks on end, I would find myself eating MW sandwiches. If I had money, I'd buy bologna or tuna and do a real sandwich but if my friend and I had no money, MW sandwiches were duh bomb. Loved them.
Now however, I'm convinced they changed the recipe for MW cause to me now, it's just awful. Hellman's however, I could eat out a duh jah....love it!
That's interesting that you think they've changed the recipe because I totally agree. It just doesn't taste the same. I used to make "3 cheese sandwiches" with MW. It was white bread (Wonder), MW, sliced Kraft American Cheese, MW, cheese, MW, cheese, MW top with white bread. As in, I literally heaped the MW between each slice of cheese. But now MW just doesn't do it for me. I've become a Hellman's girl myself.

I called Hellmans or Best Foods about their recipe a few years ago. I was convinced that they were different. One rep told me "no, exactly the same just a different name west or east of the rookies. another one told me, "yep, they're different, Hellmans is whipped." duh I thought, that's what I thought was different.

Just off the phone with Belinda at Kraft. MW was changed in 2005 and possibly before that date too, she only had the most recent change. Oil and egg yolks was what changed. Probably, she thought, due to customer comments about wanting it to be more health friendly.

I saw [but didn't buy] the olive oil Kraft mayo last week in WM. It was about $4 and I thought better of buying it. I can always make my own, and will. {KatieE, guess what I bought lots of? that and parm cheese;)}

Nice to know I'm not crazy and that it did change. I thought it was an east coast west coast thing, like the names on products. I do like Hellmans better than I ever liked Best Foods. I guess it's the production.

Okay - I cracked open the jar of Hellmann's Olive Oil mayo & I did not like it. Won't be buying it again. Not only did it not have either the scent or taste of olive oil, but the taste it did have was the decidedly funny taste that low-fat & no-fat mayos have, which is why I never buy them.

I'll be sticking to my regular Hellmann's from now on.

you gonna take it back Breezy?
if not, what a waste, maybe you could call the company customer service and voice your disappointment at least, thanks for the report though, I know I now won't be buying it. no need to now.........

For years when I was doing the buying I bought 5 gal tubs of Hellmans mayo I would not let any thing else in my kitchen. I cook for my sister and she has MW in her frig so I bought a jat of Hellmans for me use over there. can not stand the taste of MW
uch.

No, I wouldn't return it. It's not the store's fault that I just don't like it.

I'll just use it in things where stronger flavors prevail - like tartar sauce, garlicy broiled fish topping, etc. I still have a jar of good old regular Hellmann's on hand for other stuff where the mayo taste would stand out more (salads, sandwiches).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom